Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers will count on 'Typical Steve McLendon' to emerge in Casey Hampton's absence

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I guess I would respectfully disagree. IMO, the #1 job of a D in the NFL is to keep the other team from scoring. "Splash plays" are nice gravy, but not the foundation that a D should be built on.
    Not anymore. It's a high-scoring league now. I'd rather see this defense give up a lot of yards, but get turnovers in the process.

Is "tackle the catch" a foundation the defense should be built on?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    Not anymore. It's a high-scoring league now. I'd rather see this defense give up a lot of yards, but get turnovers in the process.

Is "tackle the catch" a foundation the defense should be built on?
    Because it's a high scoring league, the #1 priority is to keep the other team from scoring. Second would be to keep the other team from advancing as much as possible to try and ensure better field position for your offense. If you can get a turnover in the process?? Gravy!

Backup

User Info Menu

Because it's a high scoring league, the #1 priority is to keep the other team from scoring. Second would be to keep the other team from advancing as much as possible to try and ensure better field position for your offense. If you can get a turnover in the process?? Gravy!
    Last year's playoff teams disagree with you.

Legend

User Info Menu

The system doesn't need to change because of one player, the system needs to change because it has gone stale. It's a stats defense, it doesn't make any splash plays.

Look at other NFL teams. Rookies come in and make some kind of impact right away. With the Steelers, rookies have to sit on the bench for the first 2 or 3 seasons because "the system is too complex." Gee, maybe it's time to simplify things then.
    In the month of December the defense created 12 turnovers and 17 sacks. That extrapolates to a rate of 38 turnovers and 54 sacks for a season if they play like that. The Defense closed out the year on a tear making the splash plays you are demanding. Those numbers are league leading defensive stats over the month of December. The Defense gave you as many splash plays as you wanted and we went 2-3 over that stretch and missed the playoffs.

Couple things happened in December to help the D start making splash plays. Troy came back. Deebo was getting healthy. Cortez was becoming a factor. Hood started playing well down the stretch. I think this stretch shows it's the players that are the problem and not the system. System seemed to be just fine for creating turnovers and pressure when players were healthy and executing.

Re: rookies - I hope they all sit on the bench for a couple years because the players in front of them are so good. That's been a good problem. We have been to 3 SuperBowls over the last several years, so we have been loaded with talent. Now that we've lost a bunch of players, the circumstances have changed and there might be more room for rookies to compete for spots.

But if your rookies are earning spots, that means the guy you have already just aren't that good and that's a problem we'd complain about too.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    In the month of December the defense created 12 turnovers and 17 sacks. That extrapolates to a rate of 38 turnovers and 54 sacks for a season if they play like that. The Defense closed out the year on a tear making the splash plays you are demanding. Those numbers are league leading defensive stats over the month of December. The Defense gave you as many splash plays as you wanted and we went 2-3 over that stretch and missed the playoffs.
    Yes, I do recall the Steelers defense being more aggressive during the last few weeks of the regular season. Too bad they waited until December.

Couple things happened in December to help the D start making splash plays. Troy came back. Deebo was getting healthy. Cortez was becoming a factor. Hood started playing well down the stretch. I think this stretch shows it's the players that are the problem and not the system. System seemed to be just fine for creating turnovers and pressure when players were healthy and executing.
    So whenever someone gets injured, or in the case of Harrison, leaves the team, the defense should just go into a scared shell? There are plenty of teams with lesser talent on defense than the Steelers had that forced several more turnovers, New England sticks out in that regard. This is just excuse making.

Re: rookies - I hope they all sit on the bench for a couple years because the players in front of them are so good. That's been a good problem. We have been to 3 SuperBowls over the last several years, so we have been loaded with talent. Now that we've lost a bunch of players, the circumstances have changed and there might be more room for rookies to compete for spots.

But if your rookies are earning spots, that means the guy you have already just aren't that good and that's a problem we'd complain about too.
    The players the rookies are sitting behind WERE good. Now some of them are moving past their primes. Since there are different players involved in this defense now, and since some of them are young, it might be time to simplify the schemes.

Legend

User Info Menu

The players the rookies are sitting behind WERE good. Now some of them are moving past their primes. Since there are different players involved in this defense now, and since some of them are young, it might be time to simplify the schemes.
    The only open spot I can see on our D where a rookie could legitimately compete would be ROLB. We could also say NT, but we didn't draft any rookie NT. Re: ROLB - Worilds has shown some talent when healthy, so I could see why Jarvis doesn't get the spot. The next spots in line to open up for young players would be Foote's and Keisel's but I think both players are still productive at this point.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Last year's playoff teams disagree with you.
    Last years Super Bowl teams had pretty good defenses.

Backup

User Info Menu

Last years Super Bowl teams had pretty good defenses.
    Statistically, Baltimore's defense was not great - but they got turnovers and made splash plays.

Really, the 49ers defense wasn't great either. It was their offense that carried them through the playoffs.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Sure thing, Crashtain QB...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    You can't change the whole system for Steve McClendon. He's not that good to warrant it. Essentially you'd be hurting the potential production of Woodley, Harrison, and Timmons who are the guys that are paid to make the plays.

Now if you told me McClendon was Ngata and Lebeau was holding him back from dominating, that's a completely different discussion. McClendon was just a role player last year anyways. So I especially don't see changing the whole system for a backup.
    Excellent point, Flippy.

McClendon was just a role player, and that is how he is valued by the rest of the league. Anybody could have given him a deal that would have put him out of the Steelers reach - say, $4 million per year. Above-average starter money, but nothing huge. Nobody did, and the Steelers signed him to a contract for what he is - a good role player who may be an average starter.

If it comes down to Steve McClendon's desires or Dick Lebeau, I'm taking Lebeau every time.