Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Mike Wallace prefers Dolphins' culture over Steelers'

  1. #31
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    although there are exceptions such as Hines Ward and Jerry Rice, I do agree with your basic premise that the best WRs are basically selfish individuals who demand the football and are not natural leaders.
    I think the bad apples get all the press and we stereotype the rest. Guys like Larry F and Megatron are some of the highest paid players in the game. I'm sure their team views them as leaders or they wouldn't have given them those outrageous contracts.

    I'm also of the mindset that WRs are a dime a dozen for the most part. And you need a good QB to get you the ball.

    There's probably more good character WRs than bad apples across the board. All NFLers have to work hard mentally and physically. The sport is demanding. Some of the prima donnas are sometimes the ones that are so naturally gifted that they don't have to work hard to be successful.

    I never heard Reggie Wayne complain about a rookie QB. He worked hard to help make him better. He was one of the few vets on the Colts offense. He could have easily pouted and been a discontent because he's at the end of his career and has essentially no chance at winning a ring without Peyton, but he was nothing but supportive of Luck.

    Andre Johnson and Roddy White are other guys that come readily to mind that are good character guys that you could consider leaders because they work hard and play hard for the betterment of their team.

    Even going back in history, guys like Swanny and Stallworth knew their blocking downfield could spring big plays. Steelers WRs have always had a culture of blocking. And they did what they had to do to make their teams better.

    Even some guys with off the field issues like Plax and Brandon Marshall are dedicated to team success. Heck, I was even reading today where Plax was saying he's gonna do everything possible to help make AB one of the best WRs in the game.

    The good guys don't get attention. The guys with off field issues get wrongly lumped in with the prima donnas. And all the sports writers cover are the ego maniacs.

    I think there's a lot of WRs that are great leaders who work hard and set an example.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think the bad apples get all the press and we stereotype the rest. Guys like Larry F and Megatron are some of the highest paid players in the game. I'm sure their team views them as leaders or they wouldn't have given them those outrageous contracts.

    I'm also of the mindset that WRs are a dime a dozen for the most part. And you need a good QB to get you the ball.

    There's probably more good character WRs than bad apples across the board. All NFLers have to work hard mentally and physically. The sport is demanding. Some of the prima donnas are sometimes the ones that are so naturally gifted that they don't have to work hard to be successful.

    I never heard Reggie Wayne complain about a rookie QB. He worked hard to help make him better. He was one of the few vets on the Colts offense. He could have easily pouted and been a discontent because he's at the end of his career and has essentially no chance at winning a ring without Peyton, but he was nothing but supportive of Luck.

    Andre Johnson and Roddy White are other guys that come readily to mind that are good character guys that you could consider leaders because they work hard and play hard for the betterment of their team.

    Even going back in history, guys like Swanny and Stallworth knew their blocking downfield could spring big plays. Steelers WRs have always had a culture of blocking. And they did what they had to do to make their teams better.

    Even some guys with off the field issues like Plax and Brandon Marshall are dedicated to team success. Heck, I was even reading today where Plax was saying he's gonna do everything possible to help make AB one of the best WRs in the game.

    The good guys don't get attention. The guys with off field issues get wrongly lumped in with the prima donnas. And all the sports writers cover are the ego maniacs.

    I think there's a lot of WRs that are great leaders who work hard and set an example.
    Flippy is making perfect sense here, IMO.

    (Better take his temperature!).


    We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

    HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

  3. #33
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,368
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Flippy is making perfect sense here, IMO.

    (Better take his temperature!).
    Just took my meds

  4. #34
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,870
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    you said they couldn't be leaders.

    they can. I'm done.
    OK....lol. That's not what I said but cool. Be done.
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-29-2013 at 08:58 AM.

  5. #35
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,870
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think the bad apples get all the press and we stereotype the rest. Guys like Larry F and Megatron are some of the highest paid players in the game. I'm sure their team views them as leaders or they wouldn't have given them those outrageous contracts.

    I'm also of the mindset that WRs are a dime a dozen for the most part. And you need a good QB to get you the ball.

    There's probably more good character WRs than bad apples across the board. All NFLers have to work hard mentally and physically. The sport is demanding. Some of the prima donnas are sometimes the ones that are so naturally gifted that they don't have to work hard to be successful.

    I never heard Reggie Wayne complain about a rookie QB. He worked hard to help make him better. He was one of the few vets on the Colts offense. He could have easily pouted and been a discontent because he's at the end of his career and has essentially no chance at winning a ring without Peyton, but he was nothing but supportive of Luck.

    Andre Johnson and Roddy White are other guys that come readily to mind that are good character guys that you could consider leaders because they work hard and play hard for the betterment of their team.

    Even going back in history, guys like Swanny and Stallworth knew their blocking downfield could spring big plays. Steelers WRs have always had a culture of blocking. And they did what they had to do to make their teams better.

    Even some guys with off the field issues like Plax and Brandon Marshall are dedicated to team success. Heck, I was even reading today where Plax was saying he's gonna do everything possible to help make AB one of the best WRs in the game.

    The good guys don't get attention. The guys with off field issues get wrongly lumped in with the prima donnas. And all the sports writers cover are the ego maniacs.

    I think there's a lot of WRs that are great leaders who work hard and set an example.
    I agree with most of what you are saying regarding the bad apples spoiling the bunch but I disagree on "a lot" of WR's being great leaders.

  6. #36
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,731
    that's because the women in Miami are so fine...


  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Ahh... the obvious choice. Hines Ward. The undersized, overlooked, slow, hard working, scrappy WR. I know I will get slack for this but here I go...

    Hines Ward was definitely a leader... but he also held out for more money, called Ben out multiple times, cried to the media anytime they mentioned a big WR.. but he blocked better than anyone in the biz and did all the dirty work that a WR with a ton of physical gifts wouldnt be required to do.

    So... I'll give you Ward but thats one WR and the reason you cant name 5 or even 3 is because 95% ofthe NFL WR's in the league arent undersized WR who had to scrap to make the team.

    Not trying to knock Hines but I need a few more examples of true #1 WR's. I think Hines is a HOFer but I think he is a Hofer because of his intangables.. blocking, toughness, grit, durability but he is way down the list when speaking of #1's.

    List the top 15 WR's. Nope.. dont see it. Steve Smith is the only one that comes to mind but he is the same size as Hines My point, short man complex... lol. I just dont think WR's are built to be leaders. The best WRs are selfish and demand the football.
    Look at Larry Fitzgerald. He's arguable one of the top 2-3 WRs from a talent perspective, and the Cardinals are absoulte garbage at the QB position. He could have sulked, demanded a trade or been otherwise behaved in Holmes-esque fashion. Instead, he makes the best of a bad situation and trys to help others on his team.

  8. #38
    Hall of Famer costanza2k1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,571
    Wallace also prefers Miami money over Steelers money...
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

  9. #39
    Legend hawaiiansteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hawaii 5-0
    Posts
    14,731
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Just took my meds

  10. #40
    Hall of Famer DukieBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    3,070
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Just took my meds
    Where can I get some of that. Even my internal logic does not make sense to me.
    PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLLS






Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •