Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Depth on the O Line - can anyone summarize where we are so far?

Legend

User Info Menu

Depth on the O Line - can anyone summarize where we are so far?

Can some one maybe review what we've got for depth on the O-line so far please? Is it a given that we're going to hire some free agent or something to add depth, or is what we see what we get going into the season?

I hope we have protected our franchise qb appropriately, I really do. We almost lost him forever last year.

Thanks -

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

I read a lot from OTAs suggesting that the Steelers are giving Beachum a lot of reps at center. So they may try to see if Whimper and Beachum can be the two game day actives. Aside from that, they have little. Malecki is probably the other top backup at guard. Nick Embernate was a priority free agent and may also have a chance at guard.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    I read a lot from OTAs suggesting that the Steelers are giving Beachum a lot of reps at center. So they may try to see if Whimper and Beachum can be the two game day actives. Aside from that, they have little. Malecki is probably the other top backup at guard. Nick Embernate was a priority free agent and may also have a chance at guard.
    Thanks, Phillyesq. I wonder if these guys can fill in at tackle too.

Anyone know - is this the normal amount of backups for the line compared to other teams?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quick summary of where we are at?

**** creek without a paddle

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Coolie Man View Post
    Quick summary of where we are at?

**** creek without a paddle

I like your style. Before opening the thread, this was the response I had ready to go....

il_fullxfull.27161454.jpg

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

In years past we've had guys who were high picks but unproven. Now those unproven guys are our starters and we have average depth waiting.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Read that in the first OTAs the coaches really liked what they saw from Golic.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Can't get this season started soon enough.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    Thanks, Phillyesq. I wonder if these guys can fill in at tackle too.

Anyone know - is this the normal amount of backups for the line compared to other teams?
    I think most teams carry 9 or 10 OL on the 53 man roster. We typically go 9 because o-linemen aren't very good special teams players (but we usually have an OL or two on the practice squad at all times as well). There are 5 starters (obviously) and usually 2 active gameday backups (usually utility guys who can play multiple positions...a C/G and G/T for instance), which would leave a couple of o-linemen amongst our gameday inactives.

I agree with what philly wrote earlier about the probable OL on the 53 man roster:

Starters:

Pouncey
    DeCastro
    Foster
    Adams
    Gilbert

Gameday backups:

Beachum
    Whimper

On the 53 man roster, but usually inactive until injuries strike:

Malecki
    Embernate

On the practice squad:

Long
    Golic
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

^^

Thanks, Ruth. I remember wondering once or twice when we got caught short without enough lineman last year whether we were dressing enough lineman, but it looks like we aren't doing silly things with our gameday roster.

I suppose it was just a bad case of Gilbertitis that we couldn't shake last year (newly described disease where fractured limbs and torn ligaments cluster around large men called Gilbert).