Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Greatest Game Ben Roethlisberger Ever Played

Legend

User Info Menu

The Greatest Game Ben Roethlisberger Ever Played

Jason Bridges-USA TODAY Sports

Pittsburgh Steelers fans have it good. I mean really good.

Many franchises never have a true franchise quarterback — the kind of field general who takes their team to the pinnacle of NFL glory, a Super Bowl. The Steelers have had the good fortune of having two. First was quarterback Terry Bradshaw, who in his 14 seasons led the Steelers to four championships.

However, the luster of those titles faded over time. But have no fear, because in 2004 the Steelers struck gold in the first round in drafting quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger has since started 126 games and brought the Steelers franchise two more Super Bowl trophies.

In fact, the spoils of the Steelers fans have been great. Since Bradshaw’s rookie season in 1970, this team has gone to eight Super Bowls and had only nine losing seasons.

But as I look back at my favorite games Roethlisberger has played among those 126, there is always a few that stood out to me. Breaking the New England Patriots‘ 21-game win streak in 2004 and the five-touchdown first half in a beatdown of the Baltimore Ravens back in 2007 were both performances that will live fondly in my mind when Roethlisberger is being enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

But there’s always been one game that stands out above all the others to me. A game where Roethlisberger had to step out of his comfort zone, couldn't rely on his typically stout defense, and won one of the great shootouts in NFL history.

On December 20, 2009, the Steelers welcomed the Green Bay Packers into Heinz Field, not knowing just what was going to happen. The Steelers were on a five-game losing skid and had all but been eliminated from playoff contention. The Packers, on the other hand, were hot: 9-4 and cruising into playoff contention.

Things looked grim for the Steelers.

But no one bothered to tell Roethlisberger they weren't supposed to win. The Steelers defense was a sieve. The Packers offense was hitting on all cylinders, and the Steelers saw themselves down seven with just 2:00 to play. At this point in the game, Roethlisberger had already put on a show, but saved his best work for last.

That final 86-yard drive was amazing. Roethlisberger showed amazing poise and marched his team down the field. When the Steelers called a timeout with 18 seconds to go on the Packers 19, I honestly never lost faith. But then after an incompletion on first down, I was a little less confident. After another in-completion on second down, I was starting to panic.

But on third down, Roethlisberger made the perfect back shoulder throw to wide receiver Mike Wallace on the left side of the end zone to seal the game for the Steelers. It was a thing of beauty.

That final game-winning touchdown was just the icing on the cake for Roethlisberger, who had dissected the Packers defense for the entire game. Throw after throw, he was just more than the Packers defense could stop. His final stat line: 29-46 for 503 yards and three touchdowns.

Roethlisberger has never been known as a fantasy football quarterback, typically just doing what it takes to win. But on this day, Big Ben was the man. If you can find this game online, go back and watch it again because the performance he put on compares with any I've ever seen, and further cements the legacy of Roethlisberger in Steelers history.

[url]http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/05/24/pittsburgh-steelers-the-greatest-game-ben-roethlisberger-ever-played/?DmUDpWukUMUGtPT6.99[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

SteelCrazy, you have been posting some awesome articles lately, first the Noll one, and now this one - thank you!!

Back to the question of BB's best game ... man, it's just hard for me to say that he had a better one than the one we beat the Cardinals in, as cliche as it might be to say that, and much respect to the author of your article. That one pass to the back of coffin corner ... for pure drama, skill, and importance (duh!), hard for me to say there's a better one!

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

When I saw the title of the thread, I thought of that GB game as well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioSteelerFan View Post
    SteelCrazy, you have been posting some awesome articles lately, first the Noll one, and now this one - thank you!!

Back to the question of BB's best game ... man, it's just hard for me to say that he had a better one than the one we beat the Cardinals in, as cliche as it might be to say that, and much respect to the author of your article. That one pass to the back of coffin corner ... for pure drama, skill, and importance (duh!), hard for me to say there's a better one!
    You're welcome. I try to pick up the slack when hawaiiansteel goes on hiatus.
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Not one of the greatest games ever, but one that really stands out to me is the Jacksonville game in his rookie season. Scrambling, shrugging off defenders, capped off by a game winning drive. That was really a preview of the Roethlisberger magic that we've seen over most of his career.
    [URL=http://s227.photobucket.com/user/AAFiorini/media/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg.html]<a href=http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/AAFiorini/jigsignewplate_zpsgmcgfc1q.jpg target=_blank>http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...psgmcgfc1q.jpg</a>[/URL]

Rookie

User Info Menu

For me, it was the Green Bay game and the Bronco playoff game in 2005. Ben was on fire in the first half.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Great article.

I was thinking of that throw and the one in the Super Bowl, just in the opposite corner. I feel that one to Wallace was the best of his career and showing just how strong his arm is.

I just think Ben needs to go to another Super Bowl to seal his HOF spot. Anti-Steeler bias and the plain bias and underating of Ben in his career will make it tough for him to get in on the first few ballots.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jigawatts View Post
    Not one of the greatest games ever, but one that really stands out to me is the Jacksonville game in his rookie season. Scrambling, shrugging off defenders, capped off by a game winning drive. That was really a preview of the Roethlisberger magic that we've seen over most of his career.
    I remember the post game presser, Del Rio went on to say what an incredible QB No. 7 was, had him in their grasp multiple times, only for Ben to get away and make plays.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    I remember the post game presser, Del Rio went on to say what an incredible QB No. 7 was, had him in their grasp multiple times, only for Ben to get away and make plays.
    So true. His rookie season was simply amazing. I remember the little flip of the ball he made to Heath Miller after escaping a sack against the Cowboys. I knew we had something special at that moment.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    When I saw the title of the thread, I thought of that GB game as well.
    x2............
    @_Hellgrammite