Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Extend McClendon

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers Extend McClendon

Three year deal, max value of $7.25, $1.675 guaranteed, $5 million in first 2 years.

Reported on Twitter by Schefter and some of the beat writers...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    Three year deal, max value of $7.25, $1.675 guaranteed, $5 million in first 2 years.

Guess it shows you who values Mclendon. Some posters on this board are still undervaluing him. I agree, however, that he needs to play end on our defense.
    Here comes the BOOM!

Legend

User Info Menu

Seems fairly cheap. Maybe Spaeth is no longer our best offseason move.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wonder what the first year cap hit will be on this new deal compared to what we gave him in his RFA tender (since we only have $800K leeway right now until we get more cap room in June when the Willie Colon release becomes official)?
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Guess it shows you who values Mclendon. Some posters on this board are still undervaluing him. I agree, however, that he needs to play end on our defense.
    Play DE or change to a one-gap system where his talents aren't wasted occupying blockers
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Play DE or change to a one-gap system where his talents aren't wasted occupying blockers
    Yes, we should adjust the whole defensive system for Steve McClendon, a former undrafted free agent who was signed to a contract paying him at a level of an average to below average veteran starter.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Someone send Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, and Brett Kiesel memos informing them that their entire Steeler careers were wasted because they were occupying blockers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, we should adjust the whole defensive system for Steve McClendon, a former undrafted free agent who was signed to a contract paying him at a level of an average to below average veteran starter.
    No, we should change it because it no longer generates pressure and creates turnovers. McLendon would be just one of many who benefit from the willingness to change but it is unlikely to happen because of one person.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Wonder what the first year cap hit will be on this new deal compared to what we gave him in his RFA tender (since we only have $800K leeway right now until we get more cap room in June when the Willie Colon release becomes official)?
    This has to put the Steelers perilously close to the cap. I suppose that a lot of the cap impact will be based on the incentives - the blurbs I saw had a max payout of $7.25 million, so it's possible that the guarantees are lower.

Legend

User Info Menu

Steelers sign McLendon to three-year deal

APR 18
    By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Pittsburgh Steelers reached a three-year deal with nose tackle Steve McLendon, thanks to a nudge from the Green Bay Packers.

A day after McLendon visited the Packers, the Steelers struck a multiyear deal with the restricted free agent that's worth a maximum of $7.25 million and includes a $1.675 million signing bonus, according to the NFL Network.

The Steelers had other options -- like re-signing Casey Hampton or giving Alameda Ta'amu a shot to start -- but keeping McLendon was the best one. Hampton turns 36 by the time the season starts and Ta'amu is a risk considering his off-the-field issue.

McLendon, 27, is hitting the prime of his career and has shown the ability to step up when Hampton has been hurt. But the Steelers committed to McLendon more on projection than on production. He has one career start and played only 139 defensive snaps last season.

The Steelers could have avoided all of this drama if they had put a second-round tender on McLendon, which would have cost the team $700,000 more this offseason. Still, in the end, the Steelers likely would've reached a multiyear deal with him anyway. The interest from the Packers just sped up the process.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/75552/steelers-sign-mclendon-to-three-year-deal[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha