Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    This is true. Ben did not embrace change last year and even then he was on his way to best statistical season. Imagine if he had really bought in from Day 1.

Instead he got "Faneca disease" and pouted.
    This is all I'm saying...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    What Ben did this offseason? He could have easily done it last offseason...

Embrace the change (because it happened, regardless of his franchise QB status), work with the coaches and offer input...instead of being butt hurt about Arians being canned...

Perhaps it took a year to realize that change can be a good thing...though I wish he would have figured it out before last season...
    Did you miss the part about Ben being given input in the offense? If that happened, yeah, I'd be a bit happier about the offense too. You're proving my point - you think the front office and ownership can do no wrong.

Embrace the fact Ben is the franchise QB, because ramming a new playbook down his throat will not work. I wish Art would have figured that out before last season..... instead of being butthurt it's not the good old days anymore.

Legend

User Info Menu

By who. Doing it alot doesn't make you good. Without thinking too hard I can name: Brees, Manning and Manning, Brady, Rogers, Stafford, Romo, Flacco, Cutler and Ryan as better.

That is a lot ahead of him.
    I'm not sure I agree. How are you defining deep pass? Ben has the power to accurately throw the ball 40 yards downfield off the wrong foot and after contact. None of these guys can do that.

Now if you mean throwing bombs, Brady and Flacco are the 2 that come to mind as being super accurate. But you also have to consider who the guys are on the receiving end. Ben's long throws have predominantly been to a guy that has to have the ball hit him in the breadbasket 90% of the time. Some of these other guys have WRs that can make plays.

I'll give you a great example of a guy with an alleged great deep pass - Daunte Culpepper. When he had Moss to throw to, he look like a world beater. He seemed to be able to hit Moss perfectly in stride on every pass. Once Moss was gone, he looked 10 times worse than Kordell.

Also Ben probably has the worst OLine blocking for him. That makes a big difference. And no running threat. It's not easy being Ben, but he somehow makes it work. Any other QB in Pittsburgh would have failed miserably over the Ben years.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

This is true. Ben did not embrace change last year and even then he was on his way to best statistical season. Imagine if he had really bought in from Day 1.

Instead he got "Faneca disease" and pouted.
    I'm curious as to what you mean by "bought in?" Ben was a good soldier and did everything that was asked of him. We don't know the degree whether he liked it or not. He never said, "this sucks." Nor did he say, "this is great." He simply referred to the fact that it was different that that they were all doing their best to learn it. Was there something else that was expected?

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    I'm curious as to what you mean by "bought in?" Ben was a good soldier and did everything that was asked of him. We don't know the degree whether he liked it or not. He never said, "this sucks." Nor did he say, "this is great." He simply referred to the fact that it was different that that they were all doing their best to learn it. Was there something else that was expected?
    It was expected that Ben shut up and hand the ball off for the majority of the game. Then come the fourth quarter, it was expected Ben bail the team out every time that didn't work, which was pretty often last year.

Legend

User Info Menu

yeah, three of those 4 bombs flacco's receivers had to come back for and fight for the ballin the AFCC really showed how Joe is a great deep ball thrower.

and the one TD in the super bowl was even more pathethic. receiver had to stop turn and go to the ground to catch the ball. and erven then the defender was no where near him.

how about getting some receivers like that

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    That is a horrible list... Romo? LOL.. Cutler? LOL.. Stafford?

You named good QB's but you damn sure didn't name good deep ball throwers.
    lol is right

stafford's deep ball is "let me chuck it up and see if calvin can come down with it"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    It was expected that Ben shut up and hand the ball off for the majority of the game. Then come the fourth quarter, it was expected Ben bail the team out every time that didn't work, which was pretty often last year.
    It's funny, because Ben actually did "shut up" quite a bit and was accused of being "passive aggressive." There's just no winning sometimes...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    It's funny, because Ben actually did "shut up" quite a bit and was accused of being "passive aggressive." There's just no winning sometimes...
    This is what Steelers fans say in the offseason:

"Ben should only be a game manager! The Steelers need to establish their running game first and foremost! Ben doesn't need to throw the ball more than 20 times! Let the offense revolve around the RB!"

Then this is what Steelers fans say after a close loss:

"WHY DIDN'T BEN DO MORE!?"

Legend

User Info Menu

It doesn't matter if Ben likes the new offense or not. Ben like the BA offense but didn't play with the consistency necessary make the offense a top 5 scoring unit. What matters most is how well will Ben play in the revamped offense. Ben has the ability to help make the offense a top 5 scoring unit. Will Ben play with the consistency necessary to help make the offense a top 5 scoring unit?