Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    No less misguided than the idea that "AR II" = "Jerry Jones"...

Actually, I said he was Jerry Jones lite. Regardless, the guy needs to take a step back.

Dan never tried to influence how the team should play. He was always very hands-off. Only got involved when it was absolutely necessary (drafting Ben, for example). I also don't recall him speaking to the media as often as Art does. Now that Dan is back I have to wonder if that's had some influence on his son, hence why suddenly Ben has more say in this offense.

It's shortsighted by Ben if he doesn't give a new offense the chance to succeed. Yes, he had success under another offense but that was with different players. Ben knows by now that an offense must evolve with the players it has. I still believe the Steelers offensive woes will fade as the running game returns to something close to average or above. This relieves Ben of having to shoulder the entire load. Do you realize Ray Rice accounted for something like 30% of the Ravens offense? Think about what that could do for Ben.
    Then Ben should have been given input from the start instead of having the playbook rammed down his throat. No other team treats their QB like that.

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger Having More Control Of Offense Could Be Best Thing For Steelers

Jun 2nd, 2013 by Matt Shetler

Much has been made the past couple of weeks about how much more comfortable the Pittsburgh Steelers should be in the second year in Todd Haley’s offense.

Could that be because they are giving quarterback Ben Roethlisberger more control?

Running back Jonathan Dwyer told The NFL Network that the two-time Super Bowl winning quarterback has had major input in tweaking the offense after repeatedly meeting with Haley, and that Roethlisberger would have more control in 2013.

That’s probably the best news Steelers fans could hear.

More control likely means that Big Ben will have the freedom to audible more at the line of scrimmage, but it could also mean we see the ball thrown down the field more often.

Last year much was made about Roethlisberger calling Haley’s offense a “dink and dunk” offense. But looking at the numbers, Roethlisberger was 100 percent accurate with that assessment.

Roethlisberger’s yards per attempt (7.3) and 40-yard passes (six) were his lowest since 2008. His completions over 20 yards dropped from 56 in 2011 to 39 in 2012.

You can’t fault the Steelers putting the offense totally in Roethlisberger’s hands. It’s what they should have done from Day 1.

But now that they have, hopefully we will see a good balance.

While there is the need to run the football and execute in the short passing game, the need is also there to stretch the field and make big plays.

That’s something that will hopefully return by giving Roethlisberger some more freedom.

[URL]http://cityofchampionssports.com/2013/06/02/ben-roethlisberger-having-more-control-of-offense-could-be-best-thing-for-steelers/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain QB View Post
    Actually, I said he was Jerry Jones lite. Regardless, the guy needs to take a step back.

Dan never tried to influence how the team should play. He was always very hands-off. Only got involved when it was absolutely necessary (drafting Ben, for example). I also don't recall him speaking to the media as often as Art does. Now that Dan is back I have to wonder if that's had some influence on his son, hence why suddenly Ben has more say in this offense.

Then Ben should have been given input from the start instead of having the playbook rammed down his throat. No other team treats their QB like that.
    Actually, that's not what you posted...perhaps it's what you meant, though...

Dan did influence how the Steelers played...perhaps you don't remember...or, perhaps the 24 hour media cycle did not make that information quite as public back in the day as it would be now...

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

Perhaps Ben would have been given more input into the offense last season if he had sucked it up a little sooner...

Regardless, I agree that giving the franchise, multiple-SB winning QB more control is best for the team...I only fault Ben for it not happening sooner...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    sounds like Haley quit being a moron about the offense and added something downfield...
    Downfield" is not good for Ben because he isn't a great downfield thrower and it just plays to his worst tendencies to pass up on sure gains hoping for a big play. That results in him getting hit and injuries which once he is out of the line up we are out of playoff contention.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Actually, that's not what you posted...perhaps it's what you meant, though...

Dan did influence how the Steelers played...perhaps you don't remember...or, perhaps the 24 hour media cycle did not make that information quite as public back in the day as it would be now...

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps...

Perhaps Ben would have been given more input into the offense last season if he had sucked it up a little sooner...

Regardless, I agree that giving the franchise, multiple-SB winning QB more control is best for the team...I only fault Ben for it not happening sooner...
    Yeah, because Ben totally didn't want any control of the offense.

Perhaps Ben would've bought the new offense if a) he was given say from the get go, and b) they didn't try to ram it down his throat.

You really seem to dislike Ben while at the same time protect Art's image no matter what.

Downfield" is not good for Ben because he isn't a great downfield thrower
    Huh? Are you from an alternate reality? Does Spock still have that goatee going?
    Last edited by Captain QB; 06-04-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Perhaps Ben would've bought the new offense if a) he was given say from the get go, and b) they didn't try to ram it down his throat.
    I agree... I've pretty much become a big time Ben defender due to the recent OC change.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Yeah, because Ben totally didn't want any control of the offense.

You really seem to dislike Ben while at the same time protect Art's image no matter what.
    Nah...neither is true...just more erroneous assumptions on your part...

All Ben needed to do is quit whining and show up to work...he does that this offseason and look what happens...good things...

There is nobody that I'd rather have under center than Ben...that doesn't mean that I am required to enjoy the drama that often accompanies him...

Finally, I don't have to protect Art's image...he hasn't done anything to embarrass the franchise...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

All Ben needed to do is quit whining and show up to work...he does that this offseason and look what happens...good things...
    When did Ben ever show up to work and whine? It seems to me that he's always saluted like a good soldier whether he liked what was going on or not.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    When did Ben ever show up to work and whine? It seems to me that he's always saluted like a good soldier whether he liked what was going on or not.
    Yeah. Are people forgetting the MVP talk before be got Injured. How's that not buying into the system

How is complaining about not getting the ball to Heath (a tight end) in the 2nd half when Dallas had no answer for him complaining about the system. Is Heath running go patterns like Wallace ?? Deep posts??

Rookie

User Info Menu

This is the title of an article on page 1 of this thread:

Ben Roethlisberger now embracing Todd Haley, Steelers' offense
    Notice the "now" portion of it?