Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gilbert The Guardian ?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Gilbert The Guardian ?

On the Steelers: Roethlisberger gets new guardian in Gilbert
    May 24, 2013 12:15 am

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    No book in the works yet, so no movie either, but The Blind Side remains under development in Pittsburgh. It will feature Marcus Gilbert or Mike Adams as Ben Roethlisberger's premier bodyguard.

Gilbert wants that role, which would come in the form of the Steelers' starting left offensive tackle. Max Starks is gone, and auditions have begun for the job he held the past six seasons.

"Obviously, the left side is more important, the quarterback has to have trust in you," Gilbert said.

That's where Gilbert said he has practiced the first week of spring drills, with Adams on the right. That could flip-flop at some point this spring because Mike Tomlin might want to look at each player at each position.

"One of the things that we learned through the trials of the 2012 season is that both of those young men are capable of playing both spots," Tomlin said last month. "We will use the spring and the summer to sort out where we play those two at."

Starks played every down at left tackle last season, but he signed as a free agent with San Diego this week after the Steelers made no attempt to re-sign him. He was their starting left tackle since 2008, moving over from right tackle when Marvel Smith was injured.

So Roethlisberger is about to get his third full-time starting left tackle and it looks more and more as if Gilbert will be that man. He said he is more comfortable on the left side, and right tackle seems to fit Adams' style better as a run-blocker.

"Right now, I feel really confident with what I have to bring on the left side in protecting Ben's blind side,'' said Gilbert. "I know he's highly confident in me, too."

Gilbert opened last season, his second, as the starting right tackle. An ankle injury, though, ended his season after five games. Adams took over until his season ended after six starts because of his own ankle injury.

Dr. Robert Anderson of Charlotte, N.C., fixed a torn tendon and reshaped a defect in his foot, Gilbert said.

"I have very high arches," Gilbert said. "The doctor changed the structure of my foot.''

Gilbert also changed shoes, wearing them a little higher on the ankle. He also wears an orthosis brace on his right foot for support, and is confident he won't have that problem again.

As a left tackle, he will face the best pass rushers the NFL has to offer. The Steelers have switched to a zone-blocking scheme, which Gilbert said he played in college at Florida. No matter what the scheme, the left tackle's primary job is to have Roethlisberger's back.

Gilbert has spent time studying some of the best blind-side pass rushers in the NFL on video. He also elicited pointers from one of the league's better left tackles, Duane Brown of the Houston Texans.

"I talked to him and I watch him all the time," Gilbert said after walking off the practice field Thursday. "They run an outside zone scheme and he's a hell of a pass blocker, a former tight end, he's quick as hell. He gave me a couple of pointers about getting out on the defensive end before he gets to you. I used it a lot out here and it [has] helped me out here a lot. I have to pick up on some of his concepts."

Gilbert is among four recent high draft picks who are projected to start on the offensive line this year. He was drafted in 2011 and Adams in 2012, both second-rounders. Right guard David DeCastro was chosen first in 2012 and Maurkice Pouncey enters his fourth season as the starting center after the Steelers drafted him first in 2010. Ramon Foster, an undrafted rookie in 2009, starts at left guard.

It's a relatively young group that represents an overhaul of the line, and one the Steelers hope can grow together and stick around for a while.

"For sure,'' Gilbert said. "I think that's what the coaches envision us having -- a highly drafted, athletic group of guys. I think the guys we have now, we're working toward good unity and everything will sort out itself."

Three more rookies sign

The Steelers came to terms on four-year contracts with three more rookie draft picks.

Wide receiver Markus Wheaton, the Steelers' third-round draft choice, became their highest pick under contract. The team also announced the signing of fifth-round choice Terry Hawthorne, a cornerback; and wide receiver Justin Brown, a sixth-round pick.

Wheaton is the only rookie not permitted to attend the team's spring practices because final exams at Oregon State are not until mid-June.

The Steelers now have five of their nine draft picks signed.

For more on the Steelers, read the blog, Ed Bouchette on the Steelers at [url]www.post-gazette.com/plus[/url]. Ed Bouchette: [email]ebouchette@post-gazette.com[/email] and Twitter @EdBouchette.
    First Published May 24, 2013 12:00 am

Read more: [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/roethlisberger-gets-new-guardian-in-offensive-tackle-gilbert-688946/#ixzz2UCyWGOWW[/url]
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

The silver lining in all of this is both Gilbert and Adams are capable of playing either position, something to consider if a injury occurs at the LT spot. We all have our doubts about Gilbert but lets see this play out first
    before we worry about the LT position, he may surprise all of us.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 05-24-2013 at 07:44 AM.

Backup

User Info Menu

[B]As a left tackle, he will face the best pass rushers the NFL has to offer. The Steelers have switched to a zone-blocking scheme, which Gilbert said he played in college at Florida. No matter what the scheme, the left tackle's primary job is to have Roethlisberger's back.[/B]

agreed... max was really solid at this in the final years at Pittsburgh... let's see if the young guys can fill his shoes

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I hope Gilbert shows well at LT. I just haven't seen it from him yet.

And I hope we get out of preseason without any self-inflicted knee injuries.

Legend

User Info Menu

Dr. Robert Anderson of Charlotte, N.C., fixed a torn tendon and reshaped a defect in his foot, Gilbert said.

"I have very high arches," Gilbert said. "The doctor changed the structure of my foot.''
    Lets hope that this is a cure for many of his issues. I'd think that playing tackle on bad feet could be a big problem. Eliminating might bring us back on track to where he was headed during his rookie season.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'll be ecstatic if Gilby can get through training camp without causing a debilitating injury to a teammate.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I'll be ecstatic if Gilby can get through training camp without causing a debilitating injury to a teammate.
    Aren't the Ravens paying half his salary bonus?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Not convinced the Steelers made the right choice in letting Starks go. I understand the youth movement, but left tackle is 2nd only to QB position that a team should not mess with if it's working. Roethlisberger attempted almost 450 passes last season. That's a lot of opportunity to get blasted if the left tackle doesn't do his job.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Not convinced the Steelers made the right choice in letting Starks go. I understand the youth movement, but left tackle is 2nd only to QB position that a team should not mess with if it's working. Roethlisberger attempted almost 450 passes last season. That's a lot of opportunity to get blasted if the left tackle doesn't do his job.
    The LT apparently did his job last year and Roethlisberger still got blasted....

Legend

User Info Menu

Gilbert will hurt someone AGAIN this year...

I also see a good 9 games where he leaves early due to an "injury"

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    Gilbert will hurt someone AGAIN this year...

I also see a good 9 games where he leaves early due to an "injury"
    ...or not...