Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers run game: Will be comeback year?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Steelers run game: Will be comeback year?

0The Steelers Running Game: Will 2013 Be the Comeback Year?May 23rd, 2013 at 7:00 am by Lori Paddock

Dec ember 9, 2012; Pittsburgh, PA; Pittsburgh Steelers running back Isaac Redman (33) rushes against the San Diego Chargers at Heinz Field. Mandatory Credit: Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
    The Steelers have long been known for their dominant running game, or at least die-hard Steeler fans as well as Steeler haters, remember those years. However, as Ben Roethlisberger became the face of the franchise that slowly changed and the running game seemed put to the side. If #7 couldn’t make it happen with his arm, then it wasn’t happening.

The Steelers built their offense around their star QB, as many NFL teams have, and have been sorely pressed to find a way to win when Roethlisberger is not behind center. The Rooney family, particularly Art Rooney II, seemed displeased at the lack of ability to adjust for injury. Bruce Arians was “retired” and the search was on for a new offensive coordinator who would re-energize the running game and reduce the injury potential to Roethlisberger because he would be getting rid of the ball quicker.

However, the fans who expected a return to the glory days of the “ground and pound” in 2012 were sorely disappointed. In 2012, the Steelers had 1537 rushing yards with nearly double the passing yards at 3787. So much for the running game. There were 412 rushing plays that averaged 4.7 yards per play. Well. Not dominant at all. The gnashing of teeth over the 8-8 season could be heard across the country and the disappointment in the offense, particularly the lack of running game, was palpable for months after the season ended.

In my opinion, there were too many changes to the offense. After about 4 games into the season, the sports pundits where over the moon about Roethlisberger’s efficiency rating thanks to the emphasis on short passes. Most defenses came prepared for Roethlisberger to hang onto the ball, waiting for a receiver to open up for the long bomb. The Steelers managed to take advantage of the confusion for a while, but the opponents started to catch on. The short-pass strategy became less effective and the running game was still ineffective. Frankly, you can’t ask someone who has been quarterbacking one way to suddenly turn on a dime and do something that is foreign to him. It takes time to make those changes and it was too much to expect so many changes to be successful. Haley, as was his right as the offensive coordinator, wanted his terminology and he changed many of the plays. Naturally it caused confusion. I’m a fan of the 1/3 rule – change out 1/3 to 1/2 at a time, particularly if you have a lot of players who played under the old system. However, there is something to be said for just ripping off the band-aid and getting the pain over with. However, this pain lasted through the whole 2012 season. Hindsight is a great thing. I have been “victim” of both approaches. I’ve had new bosses who came in with a scorched earth policy which left a lot of disgruntled employees with abysmal productivity at first. I’ve also worked for new bosses who came in and gradually changed things, sometimes keeping old procedures that weren’t broken. You can probably see both sides. But where does the Steelers running game go from here?

Based on the draft and off-season signings, the Steelers clearly want to continue to redevelop the running game. Rashad Mendenhall departed, but it seems very few are sorry to see him go. Who have the Steelers gained? Surprisingly, the Steelers signed LaRod Stephens-Howling, who has been in the NFL for 5 years, playing for Arizona with 651 career rushing yards. I didn’t see his signing coming, but the Steelers have a history of being unconventional. With LaRod’s pre-draft signing, it seemed possible that the Steelers wouldn’t draft a running back, but they took Le’Veon Bell in the second round. The running backs who remained on the Steelers’ roster are: Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redmon, and Baron Batch. Curtis McNeal, RB from USC, was added to the roster as an UDFA. So, as of right now, the Steelers have 6 running backs to work out in the OTAs and training camps/preseason. They carried 4 on the roster for a good portion of last season, but it wasn’t enough because the offensive line couldn’t consistently open the running lanes for them. It only added to the disappointment of the 2012 season. I don’t think fans would be as disappointed with the 8-8 season if they felt there were glimmers of success. Everything just looked dysfuntional when it came to the running game.

So, can the Steelers get the running game back for 2013? I can’t say that I have a lot of hope. Maybe the new offensive line coach, Jack Bicknell, Jr., will make a difference. Bicknell has a ton of college experience and his NFL experience is as the assistant offensive line coach with the NY Giants. While the Giants are a team I respect, they aren’t dependent on a dominant running game either, not with Eli Manning as their quarterback. So, I’m not sure what difference Bicknell will make; however, I have to think that Tomlin and company saw something they were impressed with. Additionally, I think given the opportunity, that Redman could be a standout running back. I’ve seen some opinions that the starting RB job is Dwyer’s to lose, but I’m leaning more toward Redman. I think it is a close race between the two, however. That said, I’m not convinced that the Steelers have all the pieces they need to reinvigorate the running game. It’s far to early to tell and I hope for encouraging news from the training camps, but my faith has been shaken over the last couple years with what I consider to be questionable coaching tactics and decisions. You can have all the talent in the world and fail to utilize it properly. That’s still a possibility for the Steelers. However, I’m not burying them yet. I’m just saying the running game may not be back in 2013. It may take another year of rebuilding.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

I like our chances of improving, we drafted a good back in Le'veon Bell who can help us but a healthy O-line for a change will be the difference maker.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 05-23-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Backup

User Info Menu

I'm not buying that the starting job is Dwyer's to lose... and I like him. If Bell is what we think he is and seizes the opportunity, he's the starter or will be very quickly as the season unfolds. I don't care what the pundits are saying... Everyone else is fighting for spots behind him. 'nuff said.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell was drafted to be the starter. Dwyer may start the season as the starter, but I suspect Bell will push for the job early. I believe by game 3 Bell is the starter and has over a 1000 yards this season. ROY discussions wouldn't surprise me in the least. I haven't been this excited about a back in many years...I believe he is the real deal.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that at RB, whoever shows that they are the guy gets the job. Open competition between Bell and Dwyer, with Redman as the darkhorse. It was written that Redman has come into camp in the best shape of his life so it is possible that he tears it up. If somehow everyone is equal then I think Bell gets the nod.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    I'm not buying that the starting job is Dwyer's to lose... and I like him. If Bell is what we think he is and seizes the opportunity, he's the starter or will be very quickly as the season unfolds. I don't care what the pundits are saying... Everyone else is fighting for spots behind him. 'nuff said.
    it really IS dwyer's to lose. we just all expect him to lose it, even the coaches.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    it really IS dwyer's to lose. we just all expect him to lose it, even the coaches.
    It WAS Dwyers to lose last year... and he lost it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

If Bell shows he can help protect Ben then I agree he gets the job. I think Dwyer is the one in jeopardy ever since they were dangling him as trade bait. Redman makes the team based on his versatility. He is a very good blocker, can catch the ball out of the backfield, is an excellent 3rd and short back, and is good for some spot starts. Howlings is a very good receiver out of the backfield. Batch better show something this TC or he is gone.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    If Bell shows he can help protect Ben then I agree he gets the job. I think Dwyer is the one in jeopardy ever since they were dangling him as trade bait.
    I wonder more if they felt he was the most tradeable out of the bunch ...

Administrator

User Info Menu

I really want to see what Curtis McNeal is capable of.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    If Bell shows he can help protect Ben then I agree he gets the job. I think Dwyer is the one in jeopardy ever since they were dangling him as trade bait. Redman makes the team based on his versatility. He is a very good blocker, can catch the ball out of the backfield, is an excellent 3rd and short back, and is good for some spot starts. Howlings is a very good receiver out of the backfield. Batch better show something this TC or he is gone.
    Dwyer was trade bait because Redman has even less trade value than Dwyer who could not get a taker.
    That has nothing to do with who we keep at this point.
    Whoever of those two make the most noise during the preseason gets the nod.

Redman might not even get interest if we cut him, meaning we COULD bring him back should someone have a season ending injury.
    If we cut Dwyer he will get picked up.
    Thus all being even I say we keep Dwyer because Redman in a sense provides depth even without being on the roster ala Charlie Batch.
    Of course if Redman clearly outplays Dwyer, he gets the job.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher