Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben Roethlisberger to young guns: Do it again

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben Roethlisberger to young guns: Do it again

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger, now a senior citizen by NFL standards as he prepares for a 10th NFL season, has some advice for hot young quarterbacks like Robert Griffin III, Andrew Luck, Colin Kaepernick and Russell Wilson.

Do it again.

The NFL's quarterback revolution was bolstered last season by the trio of fast, mobile throwers who led their teams to the playoffs and in Kaepernick's case, the Super Bowl.

"People ask me all the time about these young quarterbacks," Roethlisberger told USA TODAY Sports after Thursday's OTA session. "Let's wait. One year does not mean a lot in this league. Let's see what happens in two, three years.

"I'm not trying to take anything away from them. I think they did some great things last year, and they all have the potential to be great quarterbacks. But you don't want people to jump on their bandwagon so fast and put so much pressure on them to live up to those expectations. My advice to them is to keep doing what you're doing, playing as hard as you can because people will keep trying to build you up and it could get tough."

Roethlisberger said he's pulling for Griffin to make a complete recovery from his blown-out right knee, but he isn't exactly pining for minute-by-minute updates.

"I'm following Heath Miller's recovery. How about that?" he said referring to the veteran tight end mending from knee surgery. "I've got to worry about what's going on here, and that's my tight end getting healthy."

[url]http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2013/05/23/ben-roethlisberger-steelers/2355717/[/url]
    2019 Mock

1. ILB
    2. CB
    3. ILB
    4. S
    5. CB
    6. ILB
    7. S

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not a psychologist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last week, so I feel competent to say: Ben's comments give the impression of a fair amount of insecurity. If he felt like a QB God, he would probably just have heaped praise on the guys and left it at that.

Insecurity doesn't have to be a negative, it can be a great motivator. Let's hope Ben has used the off-season to work on whatever he needs to work on to be even better than he was last year. As I recall, he was having a Pro Bowl-type year before his injury, so ...

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No, I think it is a thoughtful response. It is true. First go-around the league, you can take them by surprise to an extent. A lot will be said when teams have a whole off-season to study you, study what you don't like to do (e.g. throwing rolling right--coordinators will scheme to flush you that way), and take advantage. We'll see how these young kids respond to adversity as well.

Administrator

User Info Menu

I think he spoke the truth. The media and everybody is quick to make rookie QBs, all-pros and overhype them. It's the nature of professional sports today and it's getting a bit tiresome. I can't even watch ESPN at times when they consitently make "non stories", "stories".

Look at Cam Newton..... They overhyped him in year 1 and he struggled a bit in year 2 but the media didn't flinch. They were to busy overhyping last year's rookie class.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Just reading that story and if they put Tomlin's name in there instead of Ben's I wouldn't have noted a difference.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sugar View Post
    Just reading that story and if they put Tomlin's name in there instead of Ben's I wouldn't have noted a difference.
    Good point. Looks like Ben is learning coach-speak.

Legend

User Info Menu

Oh, I agree 100% he speaks the truth - after the DCs study film on you, the 2nd year is very hard on those amazing QB rookies for the most part.

I was just saying Ben could easily have given an answer congratulating them and moved on. Instead he gave an answer that at one level said (IMO), "Well, they're not good enough to compare with me until they've done it a for more than one year".

I HOPE Ben is pissed off, I want him to prepare and play angry.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

Ben was spot on...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Ben got it right.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I think he spoke the truth. The media and everybody is quick to make rookie QBs, all-pros and overhype them. It's the nature of professional sports today and it's getting a bit tiresome. I can't even watch ESPN at times when they consitently make "non stories", "stories".

Look at Cam Newton..... They overhyped him in year 1 and he struggled a bit in year 2 but the media didn't flinch. They were to busy overhyping last year's rookie class.
    The media over hype has hit disgusting proportions. Seems like every year they anoint a new 'Greatest Quarterback of All-Time'. Remember Brady, then Aaron Rogers, then Drew Brees. The over hype of Andrew Luck last year was kind of the same phenomenon. I haven't watched a whole lot of ESPN in ages. Shoe me stats and highlights. Im not interested in human interest stories propagated by the players agents trying to restructure public opinion of their clients.
    http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/SIGNATURES/DOS2.jpg
    Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, hear the lamentations of their women.