Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starks Signs with Chargers

Rookie

User Info Menu

Good for Max...

He wasn't the difference between 8-8 the playoffs for the Steelers...he probably won't be for teh Bolts either...

But, best of luck to him nonetheless...

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I fear we will regret this
    I fear you could be right on this. But, for now I gotta go along with the move as one that sooner or later had to happen.

No sense is making a lot of comments on this, however in May of 2012, after Starks had come in and stabilized the OL in 2011, there was still talk about whether or not he should be resigned for the 2012 season. I now have changed my opinion on the subject a little, but for the record I am going to post what I thought then.

5/21/2012
    Who am I talking about here? He was drafted in 2004. He did not start day 1 as some expected him to. In 2005 he started all 20 games and led the Steelers to the world championship. Uhh he is one of the only two starters remaining with the team from the 04 draft blah blah blah. Okay, enough of the nonsense. Of course I am referring to Max Starks who happens to be one of my favorite players. Whether or not he is now finally and realistically expendable is possible. But thinking Max Starks is a backup caliber player makes me laugh.

I don't usually get into OL stuff it isn't my thing. Most of us casual fans just watch the ball but this one has really got me baffled. Now either the Steelers are the most clever of all NFL teams or the luckiest as far as Max Starks goes--- I'm not sure. But one thing is for sure it is confirming my opinion that just about all these other NFL teams are run by a bunch of morons.

Besides the fact that Starks has been a very valuable player for the Steelers the past 8 years, last years events certainly confirmed that fact. A lot of fans were predicting disaster for the Steelers going into the season with all those question marks on the O line [Me too]. And can anyone argue that things did not look good after the first five games. I mean like 2 and 3 with no real quality wins. To say that was getting off to a rocky start would be polite. It looked like a 6-10 type team with a plenty of luck needed to get the six. Anyway the Steelers managed to turn things around a bit after Starks came back and stabilized the O line. My point is Starks is not a backup OT.

Now the drafting of Adams was certainly a good move. The possibility of getting a long time solid player could not be passed up. But that does not change the value of a healthy Max Starks. If Adams can do the job then of course Starks will have to move on. I would like to see that for him since I believe that if he goes to a team that was at least a 9-7 sort they will then contend for the championship. That's how good I think Max Starks is.

---The team has made or been forced to make a number of tough decisions lately. Any or all could work out real fine. But, I can't help wondering if a number of these calls backfire who will get the ax first. Colbert? Tomlin? Haley? If Crash was still around he would probably include AR2.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    I fear we will regret this
    what he said....

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Good for Max...

He wasn't the difference between 8-8 the playoffs for the Steelers...he probably won't be for teh Bolts either...

But, best of luck to him nonetheless...
    Without him last year, they're possibly 6-10... just sayin..

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Without him last year, they're possibly 6-10... just sayin..
    Or, possibly 8-8...just sayin'...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Starks was solid but both Gilbert & Adams will be better. Hopefully that will materialize sooner than later. The Steelers would have brough Starks back but I guess he wanted to start with no competition. He would have a hard time holding off the youngsters. Would have loved to have him here for depth but it didn't happen. Adams & Gilbert are the future and this OL is very young and talented. Chemistry is the last piece of the puzzle and chemistry can't be built from the sidelines. They need to start playing together and that starts this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Or, possibly 8-8...just sayin'...
    you seriously think they called him off the street because he was even with whatever they had at LT?

Backup

User Info Menu

Good Luck Max and thanks for your service. Wish him well accept when he plays us. Also will be anxious to see what his numbers are like with Rivers as opposed to Ben. As Ben has the great pocket presence and avoids a ton of sacks. Also in one of the other threads with pictures from OTA's Gilbert looks to be in great shape. He looked sloppy last year but I think he looks like he took his off season very serioulsy. They say the same bout Adams. If these to guys play weel this line could not only be good but great.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    you seriously think they called him off the street because he was even with whatever they had at LT?
    I'm saying he wasn't a huge difference maker...Ben still ended up getting hurt...we still went 8-8...

Legend

User Info Menu

Well, the safety net of the OL has been taken away...the training wheels are off...the security blanket has been removed...

Whichever metaphor you prefer, Adams and Gilbert better be ready to step up now.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.