Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ben - 61st Best Player in NFL - 2013

Legend

User Info Menu

Does anyone actually watch this Top 100 Players show? I'm as big an NFL fan as anyone I know, but when this comes on, I immediately change the channel. It was an okay gimmick the first time they did it, but now it's just stupid. It's odd to compare the relative worth of a quarterback vs. a cornerback or an offensive tackle vs. a defensive tackle, but these morons actually seems to royally screw up when comparing within the same position even. A friend told me that Jacoby Jones was ranked higher than Percy Harvin. Seriously? If there is one single person on the planet other than Jacoby Jones' own mother who thinks he is a better football player than Percy Harvin, then I simply don't know what to say. I think the network execs might meddle with the list a bit to generate controversy (and therefore interest), but in my view, it just seems to undermine whatever value such an exercise may have had in the first place (which is very little).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Does anyone actually watch this Top 100 Players show? I'm as big an NFL fan as anyone I know, but when this comes on, I immediately change the channel. It was an okay gimmick the first time they did it, but now it's just stupid. It's odd to compare the relative worth of a quarterback vs. a cornerback or an offensive tackle vs. a defensive tackle, but these morons actually seems to royally screw up when comparing within the same position even. A friend told me that Jacoby Jones was ranked higher than Percy Harvin. Seriously? If there is one single person on the planet other than Jacoby Jones' own mother who thinks he is a better football player than Percy Harvin, then I simply don't know what to say. I think the network execs might meddle with the list a bit to generate controversy (and therefore interest), but in my view, it just seems to undermine whatever value such an exercise may have had in the first place (which is very little).
    I did not know the show existed.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Well, I wouldn't say that. I think when you play against a specific guy, you gain insight on that guy in comparison to others you've played that is very meaningful. So I think it is very good, to hear CBs voting on WRs, or FBs voting on ILBs, because the obvious struggle they face going against each other. But I don't think it is worthwhile to having an OT vote on the best S in the league.
    It is one thing to get a guy's opinion on another player he faced, but how do you then ask him to compare him to others at different positions that he has not played against in 3 years? In the NFL you only see 13 opposing teams each season. Next season you see 8-10 more. Hopefully nobody is injured that game, or has an unusually poor showing the one time they face you.

My point is, Ike Taylor (for example) can give you a solid comparison between AJ Green, Anquan Boldin, Torrwy Smith etc, he sees each of these guys twice a year. But how does he then compare them to:

Megatron - last played the Lions Oct. 11th, 2009
    Greg Jennings - last played GB Dec. 20th, 2009 (other than in SB)
    Roddy White - last played Atl Sept. 12th, 2010
    He has never played against Julio Jones, but has played against Green 4 times.

and so on.........

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    It is one thing to get a guy's opinion on another player he faced, but how do you then ask him to compare him to others at different positions that he has not played against in 3 years? In the NFL you only see 13 opposing teams each season. Next season you see 8-10 more. Hopefully nobody is injured that game, or has an unusually poor showing the one time they face you.

My point is, Ike Taylor (for example) can give you a solid comparison between AJ Green, Anquan Boldin, Torrwy Smith etc, he sees each of these guys twice a year. But how does he then compare them to:

Megatron - last played the Lions Oct. 11th, 2009
    Greg Jennings - last played GB Dec. 20th, 2009 (other than in SB)
    Roddy White - last played Atl Sept. 12th, 2010
    He has never played against Julio Jones, but has played against Green 4 times.

and so on.........
    The players watch ESPN too, you know.

Legend

User Info Menu

The way I see it, QB is the most important position. 1 guy has 3 rings and 2 have 2. Worst case, Ben's #3 right now. I like that they made him 61.