Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace: Ryan Tannehill Can Be As Good As Big Ben

Legend

User Info Menu

Mike Wallace: Ryan Tannehill Can Be As Good As Big Ben

Mike Wallace high on Ryan Tannehill

Updated: May 15, 2013
    ESPN.com news services

When Mike Wallace left the Pittsburgh Steelers to sign with the Miami Dolphins, he also went from catching passes from a veteran Super Bowl champion to a quarterback entering his second season in the NFL.

But Wallace said Tuesday he believes Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill can be just as good as the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger, who has passed for 29,844 yards, 191 touchdowns and has led Pittsburgh to two Super Bowl titles.

"It's funny, they both played receiver at the beginning of college," Wallace told reporters, according to The Miami Herald. "They both know what we [receivers] like to do out there, so the chemistry is there already. Both have strong arms. Ryan has a cannon, can really fling it."

Wallace said Tannehill "may be able to throw the ball a little farther than Ben."

"Obviously, Ben is more experienced in game-time experience," he told reporters. "The way it's going, it won't take long for Ryan to be one of the great quarterbacks. I feel like we can make a lot of big plays."

Down the Field

Dolphins QB Ryan Tannehill threw the ball downfield a lot last season, despite a lack of big-play threats. Now with speedy WR Mike Wallace in the fold, he may be doing it even more. A look at the top passers in 2012 on throws of 21 or more yards (minimum 30 attempts):

QB Att. Comp. Pct.
    R. Griffin III 34 47.1
    P. Manning 61 45.9
    R. Tannehill 46 45.7
    C. Newton 57 43.9
    D. Brees 71 43.7

-- ESPN Stats & Information

He said establishing chemistry with his new quarterback "will not take as much time as people think."

"By the time we get to training camp, we'll be fine. We throw two to three times after practice every day," he told reporters.

Earlier in the week, Tannehill gushed about Wallace's speed, telling reporters that he asked Wallace to run his routes in practice half-speed since he was so fast. "I am going half speed," Wallace said, according to Tannehill.

"He's the fastest guy I've ever thrown to. It's exciting," Tannehill told reporters.

A converted receiver, Tannehill started only 19 games at Texas A&M, but was the first quarterback drafted in the first round by Miami since Dan Marino in 1983, and became the first Dolphins rookie QB to start all 16 games. He threw for 3,294 yards, more than acclaimed rookie classmates Robert Griffin III and Russell Wilson.

[URL]http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9278114/mike-wallace-ryan-tannehill-miami-dolphins-good-ben-roethlisberger[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Hope Tannehill isn't expecting Wallace to go hard after a ball or fight for it. If he can't run under it away from contact he isn't going to go get it.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

What a stupid premise for an article. "Receiver says nice things about new teammate - the one responsible for getting him the ball" Film at 11.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    What a stupid premise for an article. "Receiver says nice things about new teammate - the one responsible for getting him the ball" Film at 11.
    Yeah! Surprise, surprise.

But, to his credit MW did say the right things. Even though they were expected. But, considering his past history, that is surprising.

Hmm! Maybe though he actually believes what he said.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Keyplay1 View Post
    Yeah! Surprise, surprise.

But, to his credit MW did say the right things. Even though they were expected. But, considering his past history, that is surprising.

Hmm! Maybe though he actually believes what he said.
    Wallace's issues weren't saying the wrong thing, they are doing the wrong thing. Even while holding out, you never heard anything from him. No comments, no demands, nothing outrageous....he just came out and dogged it ever since.

Legend

User Info Menu

FRIDAY, 17 MAY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- So Mike Wallace thinks Miami quarterback Ryan Tannehill can throw farther than Ben Roethlisberger. So too could Byron Leftwich. And his point is?

[URL]https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/121227-ed-would-teams-draft-roethlisberger-no-61[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm more interested to hear what Tannehill says when he sees his WR is soft and won't fight for a ball if covered and bails out if expecting the big hit.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    FRIDAY, 17 MAY 2013 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

--- So Mike Wallace thinks Miami quarterback Ryan Tannehill can throw farther than Ben Roethlisberger. So too could Byron Leftwich. And his point is?

[URL]https://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/121227-ed-would-teams-draft-roethlisberger-no-61[/URL]
    Didn't someone like Timmons throw a ball further than Lefty?

Legend

User Info Menu

funny sucky people become when they're leaving/have left...

Backup

User Info Menu

What would be strange is he said: Puff my new QB is a bad player.
    Steeler Nation in Spain