Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shamarko Thomas is first Steelers draft pick to sign

Legend

User Info Menu

If you compare the Ravens' first round safety, Matt Elam, to our fourth round safety, Shamarko Thomas, what is the difference? Similar size, similar playing style...what made Elam come off the board late on day one and Thomas come off the board early on day three? Just asking...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    If you compare the Ravens' first round safety, Matt Elam, to our fourth round safety, Shamarko Thomas, what is the difference? Similar size, similar playing style...what made Elam come off the board late on day one and Thomas come off the board early on day three? Just asking...
    I don't know. Hype? Being a Gator & their rep? Playing in the SEC? I honestly don't know. With the being said, my opinion is the same on Elam. I think he should play SS.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelz09 View Post
    I don't know. Hype? Being a Gator & their rep? Playing in the SEC? I honestly don't know. With the being said, my opinion is the same on Elam. I think he should play SS.

Total SEC hype plus maybe Elam had 6 INTs versus Thomas' 2 INTs. Not like 6 makes you a "ballhawk"

Then there is that "huge" 1" height advantage that Elam has
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Total SEC hype plus maybe Elam had 6 INTs versus Thomas' 2 INTs. Not like 6 makes you a "ballhawk"

Then there is that "huge" 1" height advantage that Elam has
    As a Louisville alum, I saw both guys this year... I was less than impressed with Elam in the 1 game I saw. Knowing I'd see a potential steeler draft candidate, i watched him... OTOH, I remembered Thomas and wasn't looking for him... not that it means anything... But, I'm on board with the SEC hype machine.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    As a Louisville alum, I saw both guys this year... I was less than impressed with Elam in the 1 game I saw. Knowing I'd see a potential steeler draft candidate, i watched him... OTOH, I remembered Thomas and wasn't looking for him... not that it means anything... But, I'm on board with the SEC hype machine.
    Like that report. I do think the interception disparity does matter, but we got the faster stronger guy in the fourth. I love the pick
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 06-11-2013 at 05:21 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Living in Florida I saw lots of Elam and never saw a "Wow" that would ever have me draft him in Round 1. However, I think Ozzie Newsome is one of the best talent evaluators in the NFL so he must of seen something.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

yeah guys, the SEC is all hype. what is it now 8 in a row? still don't understand why fans want to knock elam. he has plenty of tape to back up his credentials. lets hope Thomas is the better player, but downplaying elams accomplishments seems like homerism to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    yeah guys, the SEC is all hype. what is it now 8 in a row? still don't understand why fans want to knock elam. he has plenty of tape to back up his credentials. lets hope Thomas is the better player, but downplaying elams accomplishments seems like homerism to me.
    And Florida got spanked by Louisville. Does that mean Louisville has superior talent *across the board* ? My point is, winning games does not mean that all 22 are better as your "8 in a row" suggests -- Elam *must* be the best because of the rest of the conference winning championships. That one statement right there is EXACTLY "the hype machine" they were referring to.

In any event, my point in MY observation is I went into the game looking for him to do something and Teddy Bridgewater tore their secondary apart - and Elam blew an assignment or two. Again, one game does not mean a career, but, I wasn't impressed. Just sayin'

Backup

User Info Menu

The reason Thomas slipped was because he is a safety that likes to play close to the LOS. In today's NFL teams want safeties that can play in space against the pass. Thomas can get beat often because he is so aggressive. Also the Steelers secondary has been blasted for not having enough turnovers. Thomas isn't a ball hawk. He isn't going to fix the turnover problem. He is a younger, faster Clark IMHO.

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vader View Post
    The reason Thomas slipped was because he is a safety that likes to play close to the LOS. In today's NFL teams want safeties that can play in space against the pass. Thomas can get beat often because he is so aggressive. Also the Steelers secondary has been blasted for not having enough turnovers. Thomas isn't a ball hawk. He isn't going to fix the turnover problem. He is a younger, faster Clark IMHO.
    He might be Clark from a big hitter menality but he's not Clark for the simple fact that he's not a FS. He's Polamalu's eventual replacement, not Clarks. There is a very good chance that Robert Golden will be our FS next year and Thomas could be our starting SS next year or the year after.
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.