Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Shamarko Thomas is first Steelers draft pick to sign

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The only thing that continues to bug me about the Shamarko pick was that his college coach passed on drafting him 5 times.

He's supposed to have an insane workout regimen and a leader of men...wouldn't Doug Marrone want to bring a guy like that with him to Buffalo?

We took Shamarko with the 111th overall pick in the 4th round, and Marrone's Bills opted to go elsewhere with the following picks:

1.16 QB E.J. Manuel, Florida State
    2.41 WR Robert Woods, USC
    2.46 LB Kiko Alonso, Oregon
    3.78 WR Marquise Goodwin, Texas
    4.105 SS Duke Williams, Nevada

MARRONE CHOSE A DIFFERENT STRONG SAFETY SIX PICKS BEFORE WE TRADED NEXT YEAR'S THIRD ROUND PICK TO GET SHAMARKO. That 4.105 pick is quite bothersome in my mind. It just doesn't make sense to me, unless there is something about Shamarko that his former coach DIDN'T like about him that we don't know about.

Sure, Duke Williams is 2 inches taller than Shamarko (5'11" vs. 5'9"), but the Shark is 10 lbs heavier (203 vs. 213), runs the 40 yard dash .11 seconds faster (4.48 vs. 4.37), had 15 more lifts of 225 lbs on the bench (13 vs. 28...MORE THAN DOUBLED HIM), jumped 3 inches higher in the vertical (37.5 vs. 40.5), and jumped 7 inches farther in the broad (10'6" vs. 11'1"). NFLDraftScout.com (one of the most respected draft sites on the internet; CBS Sports and USA Today use them) had Shamarko projected as a 3rd or 4th round prospect, with Duke Williams projected as a 5th round prospect. It's not as if Duke Williams is a ball-hawk either (he has 1 INT this season, 1 INT last season, and 2 INT's the year before that). I can't wrap my mind around why in the world that Marrone would take someone like Duke Williams over a known quantity like Shamarko Thomas at the same position. It bothers me.
    That's interesting. Wonder how many former college coaches end up drafting their own players? They may not be the ones making the picks just yet and they may want to avoid some sort of nepotism.

Another way to look at it - if Marrone picks Shark and he doesn't translate to the NFL, it would look bad for him because he had so much experience with him. So maybe he thinks being short is a risk or something else is a risk at the next level that he doesn't want to take. Because if he endorses Shark and it doesn't work, it's a little egg on his face. So going in another direction with who the scouts like may just be politically easier.

The SS pick by Buffalo is interesting.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    That's interesting. Wonder how many former college coaches end up drafting their own players? They may not be the ones making the picks just yet and they may want to avoid some sort of nepotism.

Another way to look at it - if Marrone picks Shark and he doesn't translate to the NFL, it would look bad for him because he had so much experience with him. So maybe he thinks being short is a risk or something else is a risk at the next level that he doesn't want to take. Because if he endorses Shark and it doesn't work, it's a little egg on his face. So going in another direction with who the scouts like may just be politically easier.

The SS pick by Buffalo is interesting.
    All anyone would need to do is go back through a bunch of drafts and see just how many times a Coach drafts a player that coached in college. It doesn't happen very often and I personally don't believe it happens very often for the reasons you highlighted above. Nepotism, if he doesn't work out it's a flag for the coach etc, etc, etc. The Steelers wouldn't have given up a future 3rd round pick to grab Shark Thomas if he had any major reasons to not be drafted in that position. I think we've got a gem BUT I usually love most of our picks until they pan out or fall on their face. No matter what, my hopes remain high as things stand right now.

Legend

User Info Menu

The only thing that continues to bug me about the Shamarko pick was that his college coach passed on drafting him 5 times.
    That IS concerning

we took Shamarko with the 111th overall pick in the 4th round, and Marrone's Bills opted to go elsewhere
    Oh, he's the BILLS coach.
    One not name Levy.
    THAT explains it.

Unlike the Steelers, the Bills track record on coach hires leave me questioning the mans judgement. Heck Tom Donahoe became a moron once he left us and went to that team
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 07-12-2013 at 11:34 PM.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

It is very disconcerting; no doubt about it. You gotta know that his college coach would scoop him up in a heartbeat, if he thought he was the baller we all think he can be. Especially in the 4th round--nobody is going to hold him accountable (i.e. nepotism) for failing with a 4th round pick.

It reminds me of Pete the Cheat passing Taylor Mays up for Earl Thomas. But even then, there is a legitimate excuse (as one can't be frivolous, with 1st round picks).

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post

He's supposed to have an insane workout regimen and a leader of men...wouldn't Doug Marrone want to bring a guy like that with him to Buffalo?

We took Shamarko with the 111th overall pick in the 4th round, and Marrone's Bills opted to go elsewhere with the following picks:

1.16 QB E.J. Manuel, Florida State
    2.41 WR Robert Woods, USC
    2.46 LB Kiko Alonso, Oregon
    3.78 WR Marquise Goodwin, Texas
    4.105 SS Duke Williams, Nevada

MARRONE CHOSE A DIFFERENT STRONG SAFETY SIX PICKS BEFORE WE TRADED NEXT YEAR'S THIRD ROUND PICK TO GET SHAMARKO. That 4.105 pick is quite bothersome in my mind. It just doesn't make sense to me, unless there is something about Shamarko that his former coach DIDN'T like about him that we don't know about.

Sure, Duke Williams is 2 inches taller than Shamarko (5'11" vs. 5'9"), but the Shark is 10 lbs heavier (203 vs. 213), runs the 40 yard dash .11 seconds faster (4.48 vs. 4.37), had 15 more lifts of 225 lbs on the bench (13 vs. 28...MORE THAN DOUBLED HIM), jumped 3 inches higher in the vertical (37.5 vs. 40.5), and jumped 7 inches farther in the broad (10'6" vs. 11'1"). NFLDraftScout.com (one of the most respected draft sites on the internet; CBS Sports and USA Today use them) had Shamarko projected as a 3rd or 4th round prospect, with Duke Williams projected as a 5th round prospect. It's not as if Duke Williams is a ball-hawk either (he has 1 INT this season, 1 INT last season, and 2 INT's the year before that). I can't wrap my mind around why in the world that Marrone would take someone like Duke Williams over a known quantity like Shamarko Thomas at the same position. It bothers me.
    Not concerned at all with this. Your mistake is assuming a rookie coach knows what it takes for a player to make it in the NFL. He may have argued with team staff for Shamarko, but if he met any resistance he may have relented for political reasons. We really don't know what transpired in the draft room.

Legend

User Info Menu

Perhaps what we have heard of past concussions is what scared the Bills away. Remember Marrone doesn't make the decisions in isolation and the rest of the organization may not have wanted to take that risk. To be honest I would be very leery taking any player with a history of concussions in today's NFL.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Maybe they didn't interview or get to know Shark in their pre draft interviews since the coach knew all about him, and they really liked Williams. Or maybe the HC defaulted to the secondary coach or DC.

CORRECTION...just looked, Buffalos defensive backs coach also coached at Syracuse in 2012 so knew the Shark.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

I think that since the Bill Cowher era in Pittsburgh, Steeler fans believe that a coach is the loudest voice in a draft room. I don't believe that Tomlin is that guy now, and I certainly don't believe that Marrone is that guy in Buffalo, one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the league. I would think that the pick came up, they talked to the coach, they talked to a scout who carries as much weight, and they went with the other kid.

If I was in an NFL FO, I would live by this law: Don't let bad teams force your personnel decisions.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I think that since the Bill Cowher era in Pittsburgh, Steeler fans believe that a coach is the loudest voice in a draft room. I don't believe that Tomlin is that guy now, and I certainly don't believe that Marrone is that guy in Buffalo, one of the most dysfunctional franchises in the league. I would think that the pick came up, they talked to the coach, they talked to a scout who carries as much weight, and they went with the other kid.

If I was in an NFL FO, I would live by this law: Don't let bad teams force your personnel decisions.
    I always thought Tomlin had the pull due to his statement that Worilds was his pick. Does he only put his foot down for certain guys? Does he have final say on every pick?
    @_Hellgrammite

Administrator

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I always thought Tomlin had the pull due to his statement that Worilds was his pick. Does he only put his foot down for certain guys? Does he have final say on every pick?
    It depends on who you ask around here. If draft picks flop, it's Colbert who made the pick because Tomlin doesn't have say in personnel decisions. If a pick is successful, Tomlin is a draft guru and it was "his guy".
    Tomlin: Let's unleash hell and "mop the floor" with the competition.