Thread: Another old board favorite now available; Eagles release former Iowa WR Marvin McNutt

Legend

User Info Menu

Another old board favorite now available; Eagles release former Iowa WR Marvin McNutt

Eagles sign Felix Jones to one-year deal, release Marvin McNutt

By Eliot Shorr-Parks, NJ.com South Jersey Newspapers
    on May 14, 2013 at 8:29 AM, updated May 14, 2013 at 12:47 PM

While it might amount to nothing more than an extended tryout, the latest Eagles signing could potentially be a very intriguing one.

The Eagles have reached a one-year agreement with former Dallas Cowboys running back Felix Jones. Jones, who turned 26 last week, had 111 carries for 402 yards and three touchdowns last year with the Cowboys.

To make room for Jones, the team released wide receiver Marvin McNutt. Jones is with the team and practicing with them as they continue OTA's.

Jones averages close to 5.0-yards per carry throughout his career and is a very capable return man- an area the Eagles could certainly improve. Jones averages 24.0 yards per kickoff return throughout his career. While he only has one touchdown, he has longs of 69 yards and 41 yards.

How big of an impact Jones can have on the Eagles will depend on his health- something that has been a problem for him throughout his career. Jones has played in 16 games just twice in five years. If healthy, however, Jones could be a potential steal for Chip Kelly and an Eagles offense that seems to be a perfect fit for the former Arkansas Razorback.

One thing Kelly is expected to do in his offense is get the Eagles running backs into space with the ball. Like LeSean McCoy, Jones is capable of taking it to the house anytime he touches the ball, especially in open space. Jones has had a receiving touchdown of 27 yards or more every season since his rookie year, and a rushing touchdown of 40 yards or more every year but last season.

Jones will have to come into Eagles camp and compete for a job. The team has a crowded backfield with McCoy, Bryce Brown and Chris Polk all returning from last year's roster. If healthy and back to his old form, however, it's hard to imagine the Eagles won't find a way to keep Jones on the roster.
    [URL]http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/05/eagles_sign_felix_jones_to_one.html[/URL]

I liked the 6'4" 216 lb. Marvin McNutt (taken by the Eagles in the 6th round last year) more than I like the 6'3" 214 lbs. Justin Brown (taken by us in the 6th round this year) as a potential young, tall wideout option for us in the red zone (heir apparent to Plaxico). Look at their college stats...I'd at least consider bringing McNutt in for competion (and at worst, I think he would be worth eventual practice squad consideration if he is unable to crack the 53 man roster). For what it's worth, last year, McNutt played in 4 games last season with no catches (although he had a couple of special teams tackles).

McNutt:

2008 (Iowa) 1 catch for 11 yards (11.0 avg) and 0 TD's
    2009 (Iowa) 34 catches for 674 yards (19.8 avg) and 8 TD's
    2010 (Iowa) 53 catches for 861 yards (16.2 avg) and 8 TD's
    2011 (Iowa) 82 catches for 1315 yards (16.0 avg) and 12 TD's

Brown:

2009 (Penn State) 5 catches for 78 yards (15.6 avg) and 0 TD's
    2010 (Penn State) 33 catches for 452 yards (13.7 avg) and 1 TD
    2011 (Penn State) 35 catches for 517 yards (14.8 avg) and 2 TD's
    2012 (Oklahoma) 73 catches for 879 yards (12.0 avg) and 5 TD's
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    [URL]http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2013/05/eagles_sign_felix_jones_to_one.html[/URL]

I liked the 6'4" 216 lb. Marvin McNutt (taken by the Eagles in the 6th round last year) more than I like the 6'3" 214 lbs. Justin Brown (taken by us in the 6th round this year) as a potential young, tall wideout option for us in the red zone (heir apparent to Plaxico). Look at their college stats...I'd at least consider bringing McNutt in for competion (and at worst, I think he would be worth eventual practice squad consideration if he is unable to crack the 53 man roster). For what it's worth, last year, McNutt played in 4 games last season with no catches (although he had a couple of special teams tackles).

McNutt:

2008 (Iowa) 1 catch for 11 yards (11.0 avg) and 0 TD's
    2009 (Iowa) 34 catches for 674 yards (19.8 avg) and 8 TD's
    2010 (Iowa) 53 catches for 861 yards (16.2 avg) and 8 TD's
    2011 (Iowa) 82 catches for 1315 yards (16.0 avg) and 12 TD's

Brown:

2009 (Penn State) 5 catches for 78 yards (15.6 avg) and 0 TD's
    2010 (Penn State) 33 catches for 452 yards (13.7 avg) and 1 TD
    2011 (Penn State) 35 catches for 517 yards (14.8 avg) and 2 TD's
    2012 (Oklahoma) 73 catches for 879 yards (12.0 avg) and 5 TD's
    Brown's coming up. I think the kid's got some character to go with budding talent. He really wasn't on my radar, but the Steelers in the Tomlin era have done a good job of grabbing some wideout that I haven't really considered.

Also consider Brown was in a new system with new coaches that he made a fast impression on. And he didnt even have a QB that stayed in the game in the RedZone, so I think you might be able to argue his college stats are out of whack with his potential talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

I am one who has seen alot of McNutt, and he was nearly unstoppable his senior year...a one man show over at Iowa. I'm not sure why his skill set hasn't translated to NFL success. What I do know is I would love for the Steelers to kick the tires on this guy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was one who was on the McNutt bandwagon. It seemed like every game I watched him play he would take balls away from the defensive back. I'd certainly like to see him get a shot with the black and gold.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

I expect nothing from either Brown or McNutt. We will likely add a WR next year when Sanders probably leaves who will be better than Brown and/or McNutt. I wouldn't be surprised to see a WR taken in Round 1 or 2.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    I was one who was on the McNutt bandwagon. It seemed like every game I watched him play he would take balls away from the defensive back. I'd certainly like to see him get a shot with the black and gold.
    So in other words, McNutt is the "anti-Mike Wallace" being a WR who actually fights to get the ball!
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Some times you feel like a McNutt,

Some times you don't!
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

The other thing about Brown that I think everyone has overlooked is he's a really good runner in the open field with the ball in his hands. How many 6'3" guys have returned as many punts as this guy.

Guys like Plax or McNutt don't have this capability. No one Brown's size really does. In fairness gotta give him credit for a 6th TD that he got as a PR his senior season.

The more I learn about this kid, the less I'm sleeping on him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    He looked good in black and gold the first time around (although we would need to change the uni number in our version of black and gold, of course).

Iowa Hawkeye jerseys make me miss the ol' block numbers.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Rookie

User Info Menu

The average result is round about 17%.

[URL="http://plagiarismdetector.net/"]
    Last edited by Brendon77; 12-02-2014 at 03:47 AM.