Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Hoyer Released

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    i'm guessing they'll only carry 3 QBs, not 4 like they've done in some years...In drafting landry jones, Wilson was already likely to be cut... it's Gradkowski he's gotta beat out
    I assume you mean pre-season because I can't recall the Steelers ever carrying 4 healthy QBS. That is what I am referring to. Just for camp & preseason.

BB & Gradkoski aren't going anywhere. I doubt Wilson is even close to Hoyer. Wilson won't push Jones. Wilson hasn't thrown an NFL pass. You let Jones & Hoyer get the bulk of the pre-season work. That helps them evaluate the offensive skills players with capable QBs. More than likely, Jones shows enough to stick as #3. Best case...If they all stay healthy, Hoyer would become trade material or be cut after the second or third preseason game. It is the "worst" case scenario that makes getting him back favorable. Injuries or Jones really struggling could make them thin at QB quickly. I would rather have Hoyer go through a full camp and some preseason games & end up on the street. He could be an option during the season if an injury occurs if he is still available.

That would be my feelings but the Steelers will just go with what they have. If they all stay healthy & Jones is what they think he is...We should be ok.
    Last edited by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY; 05-14-2013 at 11:29 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I assume you mean pre-season because I can't recall the Steelers ever carrying 4 healthy QBS. That is what I am referring to. Just for camp & preseason.
    Petty sure that as a youngin, Dennis Dixon caused them to carry 4 healthy ones...

otherwise, i'm with ya... that was actually my point. these guys are saying get hoyer and i'm saying "who's spot is he gonna take?"

Backup

User Info Menu

Petty sure that as a youngin, Dennis Dixon caused them to carry 4 healthy ones...

otherwise, i'm with ya... that was actually my point. these guys are saying get hoyer and i'm saying "who's spot is he gonna take?"
    Only in 2010 because Roethlisberger did not count during his suspension.

[URL="http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Analyzing-the-2010-roster/d20a0629-198d-4272-94de-7f0b170fa7f9"]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Analyzing-the-2010-roster/d20a0629-198d-4272-94de-7f0b170fa7f9[/URL]
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I would have to do research but I don't recall 4 healthy. From what I recall...the only time 4 were on the roster healthy was 2010 and that was BB serving his suspension and he was exempt. From 2008 to 2011 when Dixon was here, he played musical chairs with Lefty & Batch on IR. There were always 4 in the mix with one on IR or "suspended". What a circus the QB situation was since '08. I'm glad we have a new chapter.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    I can't see why the Steelers WOULDN'T pick this kid up, I wonder if they still want him like they did before the 2nd round tender was put on him? Would be better than Parker Wilson...and a safety net if Landry Jones can't make it.

Was very upset when he was released from Pittsburgh, come on..MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    With the Steelers using the fourth round pick on Jones, he is all but assured to make the team. I believe that Gradkowski was also signed to a multi year deal. Barring injury, I think they are essentially locks.

As for Hoyer, why would he want to sign with the Steelers. Barring injury, he has little chance of making the team, and zero chance of starting. He would be better to look at teams with bad QB situations or weak backup QBs.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    With the Steelers using the fourth round pick on Jones, he is all but assured to make the team. I believe that Gradkowski was also signed to a multi year deal. Barring injury, I think they are essentially locks.

As for Hoyer, why would he want to sign with the Steelers. Barring injury, he has little chance of making the team, and zero chance of starting. He would be better to look at teams with bad QB situations or weak backup QBs.
    Very good reasoning. You said it, here barring injury he has almost zero chance to make the roster. But this injury can happen anyway.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

The smart move would have been putting Leftwich on I.R. late last year, and keeping Hoyer throughout the offseason, rather than putting Hoyer on waivers in order to keep a gimpy Leftwich on 53-man active roster. Then we could have signed Gradkowski in the offseason and let Hoyer and Gradkowski battle it out to see who would be the backup and who would be #3. Then we wouldn't have had to trade next year's 3rd rounder to get Shamarko...we could have just used our regular 4th rounder to take Shamarko instead of using it to take Landry (who wouldn't be needed if we had Hoyer and Gradkowski to back up Ben). Or, if the team was worried that Shamarko wouldn't last to our regular 4th round pick and still opted to make that trade, then could have used the Landry pick on another safety named Thomas (ball-hawking FS Philip as the heir apparent to Clark to go with heat-seeking missile SS Shamarko as the heir apparent to Troy). Or, they could have taken a chance at Lattimore to sit for a year and recover (don't need him immediately since we already took Bell in round 2). Imagine a healthy Marcus Lattimore and Le'Veon Bell two-headed monster in 2014...
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I would have to do research but I don't recall 4 healthy. From what I recall...the only time 4 were on the roster healthy was 2010 and that was BB serving his suspension and he was exempt. From 2008 to 2011 when Dixon was here, he played musical chairs with Lefty & Batch on IR. There were always 4 in the mix with one on IR or "suspended". What a circus the QB situation was since '08. I'm glad we have a new chapter.
    and once ben came back from suspension...? 4 actives, right?

In any event, sometimes we got lost in the weeds of what's relevant and what's not... we're making the same point and start debating other, irrelevant schitt...

Assuming no injuries:
    We both agree there are 3 spots this year.
    We both agreee Ben has one of them.
    As phillyseq said (and i had said before), Landry Jones is VERY likely to make the team, considering the round they spent the pick on him.
    Again, we agree there are THREE spots the team is likely to retain
    I just gave you 2 of them, IMO (Ben, Landry)

With that, it's very likely Parker Wilson is already the odd-man out and Gradkowski is the other guy to be kept.
    Having said all that... IF the team went after Hoyer, it would likely be to compete with Gradkowski....

that's all i'm saying...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

and once ben came back from suspension...? 4 actives, right?

In any event, sometimes we got lost in the weeds of what's relevant and what's not... we're making the same point and start debating other, irrelevant schitt...

Assuming no injuries:
    We both agree there are 3 spots this year.
    We both agreee Ben has one of them.
    As phillyseq said (and i had said before), Landry Jones is VERY likely to make the team, considering the round they spent the pick on him.
    Again, we agree there are THREE spots the team is likely to retain
    I just gave you 2 of them, IMO (Ben, Landry)

With that, it's very likely Parker Wilson is already the odd-man out and Gradkowski is the other guy to be kept.
    Having said all that... IF the team went after Hoyer, it would likely be to compete with Gradkowski....

that's all i'm saying...
    Actually no, it wasn't 4 actives. While BB served his suspension, Dixon started with Batch backing him up while Lefty nursed his knee injury. Dixon himself got hurt week 2 and Batch ended up getting the start week 3 & 4 before the bye. Dixon went to the IR and then BB returned. So through that whole "musical chairs" QB dance there was only 3 QBs counted on the 53 and as luck would have it....They weren't all healthy.

No debating. There are 3 regular season spots on the 53 and if they all stay healthy BB, Gradkowski, & Jones will fill them. If Hoyer can't find a team before camp, he would be an upgrade over Wilson. BB & Gradkowski will see their limited work and the #3 & #4 will get alot of snaps in the preseason games. Injuries happen. It is a matter of Wilson versus Hoyer on the outside looking in. Hoyer would know that up front as does Wilson right now but that isn't anything new for players in their situation. They are just looking for an opportunity to audition for the team they are playing for or any other team down the road. TheY have to put on a helmet to get that opportunity. My point is Hoyer as the "emergency" guy on the street would be the better option. If Hoyer doesn't get any offers...He would be an upgrade over Wilson through camp & preseason if he would accept it.

Legend

User Info Menu

so, basically.... we agree...