Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Brian Hoyer Released

Legend

User Info Menu

Brian Hoyer Released

The Cardinals put a second round tender on Hoyer and just released him. There was a report previously that the FO liked him as a developmental QB. With Jones and Gradkowski, there does not appear to be room for Hoyer on the roster, but I thought I'd post this for lack of anything else to discuss.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Why in the world would the Cardinals do that? Why bother with the 2nd round tender?

If the Steelers like him better than John Parker Wilson, they may just sign him...

Rookie

User Info Menu

BTW, it appears that the tender offer, once signed, is NOT guaranteed...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Why in the world would the Cardinals do that? Why bother with the 2nd round tender?

If the Steelers like him better than John Parker Wilson, they may just sign him...
    That. A injury can happen at any time.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Cardinals release QB Brian Hoyer

By Eye on Football staff
    May 13, 2013

The Cardinals released journeyman QB Brian Hoyer on Monday afternoon, freeing up what had suddenly become a crowded position.

At best, Hoyer would've been Arizona's third-string QB after the Cardinals traded for former Raiders QB Carson Palmer and signed Drew Stanton this offseason. Quarterback Ryan Lindley, the Cardinals' 2012 sixth-round pick, was also still on Arizona's depth chart.

Hoyer, who signed late last season with Arizona and saw action in just two games, was slated to make just over $2 million dollars this upcoming season. In his lone start, a 27-13 loss to San Francisco, Hoyer threw for 225 yards on 19-of-34 passing, including one touchdown and one interception.

One potential landing spot for Hoyer, who served as Tom Brady's backup in New England for three years, could be Cleveland.

According to NFL.com's Marc Sessler, the Browns had interest in trading for Hoyer during the draft but were unable to get a deal done. Should Hoyer clear waivers, the Browns could potentially sign the 27-year-old in an effort to challenge Brandon Weeden and Jason Campbell this offseason.

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22230433/cardinals-release-qb-brian-hoyer[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Sign him up. Save him from the alternative fate to the northwest.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I can't see why the Steelers WOULDN'T pick this kid up, I wonder if they still want him like they did before the 2nd round tender was put on him? Would be better than Parker Wilson...and a safety net if Landry Jones can't make it.

Was very upset when he was released from Pittsburgh, come on..MAKE IT HAPPEN!
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I agree with Slap. They should know enough about John Parker Wilson. If the think Hoyer is better, get Hoyer back here and release Wilson. Makes the Steelers better and will give you 3 QBs behing BB with a whole camp & preseason in the system if something happens down the road.

Legend

User Info Menu

i'm guessing they'll only carry 3 QBs, not 4 like they've done in some years...In drafting landry jones, Wilson was already likely to be cut... it's Gradkowski he's gotta beat out