Thread: RIP Jack Butler

Rookie

User Info Menu

RIP Jack Butler

Steelers great Jack Butler dies at 85

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Jack Butler, driven from the NFL in his ninth season by a devastating knee injury while playing for the Steelers at Forbes Field, wanted to make one thing unabashedly clear.

"I loved the game," he said last summer before his August induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. "I loved playing the game, I liked everything that went with it, the friends, everything, all the action. I liked the [fame], I liked it all. I enjoyed it. I would have done it forever if I could have."

Instead, his career was cut short by a 1959 knee injury so severe it nearly killed him when a staph infection set in. On Saturday, John Bradshaw Butler, one of the Steelers' all-time greats and one of the NFL's best cornerbacks, died at UPMC Shadyside after battling the same staph infection that ended his days on the field.

Read more: [url]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-great-jack-butler-dies-at-85-687198/#ixzz2T2j59R2a[/url]

Legend

User Info Menu

He had a staph infection that lasted for 54 years? I never realized those things linger for a lifetime.

Legend

User Info Menu

Here's another nice article about Jack Butler:

[url]http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/sports/football/jack-butler-undrafted-hall-of-famer-dies-at-85.html?_r=0[/url]

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Legend

User Info Menu

R.I.P. to a Hall of Fame player and tremendous scout as well.

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    R.I.P. to a Hall of Fame player and tremendous scout as well.

That's a better painting than anything I've see from Barron Batch. Wonder if that painter can play RB?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    That's a better painting than anything I've see from Barron Batch. Wonder if that painter can play RB?
    He's got a nice version of Troy:

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Also an interesting painting of Da Beard in its natural habitat of Greybull, Wyoming:

Legend

User Info Menu

I like the pencil drawing of Ernie Stautner:

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I like the pencil drawing of Ernie Stautner:

That kinda looks a bit like Bruno Samartino.