Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Ryan Clark: Troy Polamalu is the third-best safety in NFL

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    $$$$
    When I read the article, my thought was, "He's auditioning for a job as a TV analyst."
    He is.....they are calling him an "intern".

    He did a really nice job, very articulate, better that a lot of the bumbling people on the air today. certainly better than Hines already.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-09-2013 at 05:05 PM.

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
    Maybe Clarks tired of watching the best safety in the NFL continuosly miss games and he's igniting the fire?
    No you have to see it. He was not calling Troy out by any means. It was simply honest and never "blamed" Troy for his injuries.
    Bear in mind the setting, he AND Darren Woodson were both asked from their perspective as safeties, who are the best today.

    Answered the question without homer bias while STILL implying Troy is the best when healthy.
    Last edited by Captain Lemming; 05-09-2013 at 05:06 PM.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    I saw the show and Clark was very clear the ONLY reason Troy was not higher was the injuries.
    He even said if Troy was healthy he can be number one and recounted what makes Troy great.

    Yup, Troy is a humble guy....likely rate himself LOWER.

    BTW Clark did not list himself at all.

    The Darren Woodson did not even include Troy and included Clark in his list of top safeties.

    Seriously, Clarks responses were FINE.

    Like Dizz said, dont go pure homer.

    I know everybody loves Hoge but really.....I fine his blatant homerism embarrassing.
    I'm almost certain I heard Clark make very similar statements last year... In fact, i think he even said something similar in what you say here about not rating himself (although, IIRC, he said he couldn't rate himself compared to others).

  4. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    I'm almost certain I heard Clark make very similar statements last year... In fact, i think he even said something similar in what you say here about not rating himself (although, IIRC, he said he couldn't rate himself compared to others).
    Perhaps. But can you seriously question his statements without being a Homer?

    Unlike many of the other runny-mouthed braggarts from various teams, Clark has almost always had a lot of logic and rationale behind things he's said.

  5. #15
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,859
    Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    ............

    Polamalu missed nine games with a torn calf last season, and his absence clearly affected a Steelers defense that nevertheless finished No. 1 in the league....

    ........
    http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...#ixzz2SoFoFyAe

    This statement is misleading at best. Yes, when Troy initially went down, it DID affect the defense because they had to figure out how to play without him. But I think the secondary actually started to play better without Troy once they settled down.
    Consider after the Titans games (first game Troy was out) there was not a single 200 yd passer until Troy returned. Someone said once that the defense tends to play more "disciplined" when Troy is not in the game. That may have been a factor in why they did so well without him.

  6. #16
    Hall of Famer Mister Pittsburgh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    3,678
    I agree that the defense played very well without Troy as they were able to play 'their' positions vs. trying to adjust to what Troy was doing with his ad-libbing on plays. But, Troys return also was right when Ike went down and we had a rookie at CB.
    @_Hellgrammite

  7. #17
    Hall of Famer ikestops85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,180
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    This statement is misleading at best. Yes, when Troy initially went down, it DID affect the defense because they had to figure out how to play without him. But I think the secondary actually started to play better without Troy once they settled down.
    Consider after the Titans games (first game Troy was out) there was not a single 200 yd passer until Troy returned. Someone said once that the defense tends to play more "disciplined" when Troy is not in the game. That may have been a factor in why they did so well without him.
    Good point but I think they played better when they moved Clark to SS and replaced Mundy with Will Allen. Clark became a star with that lineup. He was all over the field and the defense did play much better. Although you also have to account for the fact that Harrison was getting healthier.
    <a href=http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2011/02/roger-goodell.jpg target=_blank>http://seahawknationblog.com/files/2...er-goodell.jpg</a>

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Good point but I think they played better when they moved Clark to SS and replaced Mundy with Will Allen. Clark became a star with that lineup. He was all over the field and the defense did play much better. Although you also have to account for the fact that Harrison was getting healthier.
    Clark has always played like a strong safety anyway. I know in our defense the posistions are very similar but we in essance have two stong safeties when Troy is in.

    I would suggest they switch roles, making Troy more of a traditional free safety. He has the hands and speed to make plays on the ball, let him do that all day long like Reed does.
    The secondary benefit is that it may be good for his health.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •