Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Max Starks prepared to part ways with Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm afraid that Max's pass blocking will be sorely missed...Since I expect that we'll be in a lot of third-down passing situations again, that could be huge.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't see the Steelers handing anyone a job and signing Starks would push Adams & Gilbert. It would be an open competition. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way. Maybe Starks doesn't think he could hold them off and will serve as a back-up.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    I don't see the Steelers handing anyone a job and signing Starks would push Adams & Gilbert. It would be an open competition. Maybe I am looking at it the wrong way. Maybe Starks doesn't think he could hold them off and will serve as a back-up.
    Perhaps Starks does not want an open competition and wants to be paid as a starter?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    Perhaps Starks does not want an open competition and wants to be paid as a starter?
    Well if he wants to be handed a starting job and handed starting money he could go elsewhere. Loyalty only goes so far. Starks has been pretty solid for the Steelers but when the guys hit the field the gap will not exist anymore. I would love to have him here but I personally feel Gilbert & Adams will pass him on the depth chart even if he is here. By saying "passing him" I mean by their play. If he is ok with that and willing to dress game days as the swing tackle....I will be the first to slide over and make room for him on this ride.

Legend

User Info Menu

Max Starks still in mix for Chargers

By Michael Gehlken MAY 10, 2013

Free agent Max Starks projects as the Chargers' starting left tackle if he is to join the team. — AP

Max Starks is out of town but not out of mind.

The free agent left tackle had what people familiar with the situation have described as a positive Wednesday visit with the Chargers. Although no deal had been reached as of Friday morning, Starks is still considered in the mix for San Diego.

In 2012, the 31-year-old started all 16 games at left tackle for the Steelers.

He projects as the Chargers' starting left tackle if he was to join the team.

King Dunlap, 27, is the top option on the current roster. Added competition would be nothing to irk Dunlap, a source close to the veteran said this week, as the former Eagle was not promised anything upon signing a two-year contract in March.

Regardless of what may occur with Starks, the Chargers figure to have more experience at left tackle this year than last. Michael Harris, as an undrafted rookie, and Kevin Haslam combined for 12 left-tackle starts in 2012. They previously had four offensive snaps of NFL regular-season experience between them.

Both remain on the roster after taking a combined 896 reps at left and right tackle in 2012.

Starks spent the first nine seasons of his career in Pittsburgh, starting 96 of the 123 games in which he was active.

[URL]http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/may/10/chargers-max-starks-left-tackle-steelers/[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

why do the steelers hate max so bad. there's no durability on the line outside of max and foster and i think the later is playing out of position. at the end of the day, we still have a makeshift line with 4 RTs (Adams, Gilby, Foster, and Beachum), 1 G in DD, and 1 C/G in Pouncey. No matter what you do with the remaining pieces, it's gonna take time for this line because everything is in flux and most guys are gonna end up out of their natural positions.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    why do the steelers hate max so bad. there's no durability on the line outside of max and foster and i think the later is playing out of position. at the end of the day, we still have a makeshift line with 4 RTs (Adams, Gilby, Foster, and Beachum), 1 G in DD, and 1 C/G in Pouncey. No matter what you do with the remaining pieces, it's gonna take time for this line because everything is in flux and most guys are gonna end up out of their natural positions.

+1...Currently we have unproven young players and a free agent that gave up the most sacks in the league last year. I dont want to hear that Starks cant move fast enough to run block in the new scheme. The Steelers will not be successful without Big Ben and right now I am not very confident that the OL can protect him enough to last the entire season...

We have huge question marks at the most important position on the OL....

I am hoping that Adams gets it together this year and fast. I dont even want to think about Gilbert playing the LT position....If he gets rag-dolled again this year and hurts another Steeler player he should be on the bench permanently.

If we resigned Starks, he would still be the best LT on the team....

Hopefully the young guys can get it done...if not, it will be another long and painful season.

Backup

User Info Menu

Great posts flippy and steelfin.

I just hate the we let go a solid left tacle in Max... a guy who gave up something like 3 sacks last year... and signed a guy who gave up the most sacks in the league when he started in 2011.

This is yet another one of those FO moves that has makes no sense. I don't care if the Whimper is familiar with the steeler's blocking scheme. It's obvious the guy is terrible in pass protection...

if the injury situation plays out like it has the last few years... this dude is golng to be on the field early and often. Not a great way to protect our number 1 weapon (BB)
    Last edited by Big Ern McCracken; 05-12-2013 at 06:43 AM.

Rookie

User Info Menu

And if the injury situation doesn't play out, life will be good...

Max was able to stay healthy last year, but finished 2010 and 2011 on IR...hopefully, that good luck can be experienced by the guys now on the roster....

Legend

User Info Menu

I find it funny that the complaints about Max are that he is not a good enough run blocker. That applies to most LTs because that is not their focus and not the reason that they are the highest paid players on the line. I am not willing to give up a little bit of pass blocking ability in order to get much more run blocking. LT generally plays across from the team's best pass rusher, not their best run stuffer. There is a reason for that.

The LT has one main focus, everything else is gravy.