Thread: Ravens trade conditional 2014 draft pick for former Steeler Tyrannosaurus Rex center

Legend

User Info Menu

Ravens trade conditional 2014 draft pick for former Steeler Tyrannosaurus Rex center

Ravens trade for A.Q. Shipley
    Posted by Josh Alper on May 9, 2013, 10:14 AM EDT

With Matt Birk retiring, the Ravens have a hole to fill at center in 2013.

The assumption has been that 2012 fourth-round pick Gino Gradkowski will be the man snapping the ball to Joe Flacco. That may prove to be the case, but he got a little competition for the job on Thursday.

The Colts and Ravens have announced a trade sending center A.Q. Shipley to Baltimore in exchange for a 2014 conditional draft pick. The conditions for that pick have not been revealed.

Shipley was a seventh-round pick of the Steelers in 2009 and spent time on practice squads in Pittsburgh and Philadelphia before landing on the Colts’ active roster last year. He started five games and graded out fairly well over the course of the 476 snaps he played on offense. The Colts have Samson Satele in their starting lineup and they drafted Khaled Holmes out of USC in the fourth round last month, giving them the freedom to deal Shipley without hurting their depth too much.

The Ravens have already called Shipley a contender for the starting job, but, at worst, he’ll upgrade the depth on the line in Baltimore. The Ravens know how important that is after watching Bryant McKinnie step into the lineup and play well during the playoffs last season.

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/09/ravens-trade-for-a-q-shipley/[/URL]

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

I always liked the kid and never thought we gave him a fair shot while he was here. Now that he's a Raven, I hate him.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

There were some on the boards IIRC that said he was worth a third or fourth round pick out of college, apparently the Ravens agree!
    go to [URL]http://www.thebreastcancersite.com[/URL] to donate a free mammogram a day to women without health insurance.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinjim View Post
    There were some on the boards IIRC that said he was worth a third or fourth round pick out of college, apparently the Ravens agree!
    Ravens fans are vastly under stating Birk's value to that o-line. Now their down to Gino Gradkowski and A.Q. Shipley.

Mclendon is going to tear both of these guys a new one. They are the type of center he will dominate with his power and athleticism.

Backup

User Info Menu

If he didn´t stick here that year...

Probably McLendon is celebrating now.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Ravens fans are vastly under stating Birk's value to that o-line. Now their down to Gino Gradkowski and A.Q. Shipley.

Mclendon is going to tear both of these guys a new one. They are the type of center he will dominate with his power and athleticism.
    Hopefully our new backup QB gives McLendon and Ta'Amu some pointers regarding his younger brother's weaknesses (at first, I typed "little brother" instead of "younger brother" but changed it since Gino outweighs Bruce by 80 lbs.)
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The Colts have Samson Satele in their starting lineup .....
    I was a friend of Samson's dad in high School.
    Was classmates since elem school and he always had my back when there was trouble in high school.
    Dad was about 280 (big back then) and had NFL talent but flunked out of college. Too much ganja

Samsons uncle though was a really good college linebacker and played pro ball in Canada.
    Samsons siblings and cousins played college ball too.

But Samsons dad was a beast of a player. Dad made sure his son did not make the same mistakes he did.

Samson is not an all star but he has about a decade in the league as a starter, pretty good.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Ravens trade for A.Q. Shipley...

[URL]http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/09/ravens-trade-for-a-q-shipley/[/URL]

LOL. I remember everyone said he was a good kid, good footwork, good heart, but cursed with alligator arms. I see time has only made them ... shorter.

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Surprised they wouldn't look at Legursky. Decent center, not a decent guard.
    @_Hellgrammite

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Surprised they wouldn't look at Legursky. Decent center, not a decent guard.
    It´s better that way. If any UDFA pan out he is there if the FO wants.
    Steeler Nation in Spain