Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Greene retires: Doesn't Like Steelers attitude

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Well Ben staight ignored BC to his face THEN told the media what he did.

My point is not that Tomlin is "better", it is that you cannot make grown men who have "entitlement" issues listen to you.
    If Tomlin deserves criticism, (along with the rest of the personel team) perhaps its bring in players with bad attitudes.

This year's draft of boyscout types might mean they are learning from prior mistakes. Note the following:

[URL]http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/05/this-year-the-steelers-drafted-a-class-of-character-as-opposed-to-class-with-characters/[/URL]

BC as good as he was aint gonna fix a Wallace or Rainey.
    On the entitlement issues, I beg to differ. Of course you can't save them all, but you can some. I am a principal at a maximum security prison, and see those types of attitudes changed... so, well, if an inmate can change his attitude and outlook on life, I'd say its not beyond possibility that an NFL football player can do it as well.

As far as your thoughts on Tomblin... I don't think there's anything to disagree about.

Legend

User Info Menu

This is all on that Yinzer Haley. That MF'er and his dink and dunk caused all this mess. I can't believe Todd Haley had Mean Joe Green fired....

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    Didn't say that at all. Just said it was better under cowher
    Except that, truthfully, it wasn't....

Legend

User Info Menu

On the entitlement issues, I beg to differ. Of course you can't save them all, but you can some. I am a principal at a maximum security prison, and see those types of attitudes changed... so, well, if an inmate can change his attitude and outlook on life, I'd say its not beyond possibility that an NFL football player can do it as well.

As far as your thoughts on Tomblin... I don't think there's anything to disagree about.
    If an inmate doesn't change his attitude the consequences can be deadly, rapey, etc....

That's a little different than changing your attitude to win a few more games...

Legend

User Info Menu

It's not all about the money for all of these guys. There's a lot of things more important than money. And it's up to the Steelers to create the culture to show these young men this is true.

We come down pretty hard on kids in their 20s. Most everyone I know is pretty ignorant coming out of college. Most of these guys didn't have opportunity growing up or role models to show them how to lead their lives.

It's gotta be a tough transition for some of these guys. From nothing to hanging around with guys that are rich beyond imagine and they feel pressured to keep up. Who's there to keep them grounded?

This is completely on the Steelers to draft the right type of kids. To provide the right environment for them to flourish. And to provide them with a sense of family/community to the point no one in their right mind would ever want to leave. It all comes down to the culture driven by ownership.

This isn't a Tomlin issue. Or Colbert. It's a Rooney issue. The culture was just about perfect under Dan's leadership. Many of these problems have crept up since Duece took over. But no one will ever question Duece.

It'd be cool if we had good reporters in Pittsburgh that instead of writing silly pieces about guys running around in shorts and actually did some real reporting and told us what's changed since Duece has taken over. Compare and contrast him to Dan. And get the real story. Piece it all together from the players, the coaches, etc. What's really going on?

But oh yeah, the Steelers own the local media and play them like a fiddle. And we get all the fluff the Steelers want us to get.

Legend

User Info Menu

I respectfully suggest that you have far more "tools" to "assist" inmates to make changes.
    Not only can you punish misbehavior, an inmates conduct affect his release date.

When you have a player who is able to "misbehave" KNOWING that he will suffer the consequence of MAKING EVEN MORE MILLIONS elsewhere, how exactly can a coach motivate change in the self centered player?
    The ONLY thing to keep a player somewhat in line is how "other teams" view him. If he gets too stupid, it will scare teams off.

Wallace never crossed that line. He held out, played poorly, AND STILL made more than he would have EVER gotten as a Steeler.

How can Tomlin fix that?
    My guess is that Wallace simply did not want to get injured so he played "safe", and skipped camp.

What incentive does Wallace have to do anything different what he would be rewarded regardless?

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Ryan Clark Inadvertently Admits to Rift in Steelers 2012 Locker Room and Fires Back at Joe Greene’s Mention of an “Attitude Change”

By Kyle Curry on May 8, 2013

Yesterday Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette posted some remarks from Steelers lengend “Mean” Joe Greene about the “attitude change” surrounding the team. Today, safety Ryan Clark fired back on ESPN’s “First Take” about the change, which he believes is here to stay.

“The scary thing is that players have a one-upmanship about money; they sign a contract and they like it until someone signs a bigger one and now they don’t like it. I don’t like that. I don’t begrudge anyone money but it disrupts the football team,” said Greene.

“The things he is saying, they’re not off,” Clark said. ”If you look at the structure of the NFL today, it’s about one-upsmanship.” Clark referred to the deals of quarterbacks Drew Brees, Joe Flacco and Aaron Rodgers, which continue to surpass that of their predecessor giving each new franchise quarterback the biggest deal in NFL history.

“The culture we have now is about money,” Clark said. “The Steelers were a team that kept that away from the organization as long as possible.”

Greene may still be living in the good ‘ole days.

“The Steelers over the years have been able to keep everyone happy under the structure. That has changed, however. There’s a different attitude with the players, maybe players we brought in, I don’t know. I don’t think it’s good,” Greene said.

Bouchette asked him if he was referring to the rumors that the Steelers locker room in 2012 was “fractured.’’

“I do not know, I wasn’t there,’’ said Greene. “It’s an attitude change. In all my years of being with Pittsburgh, I never encountered a player taking a contract dispute into the season and letting that dispute affect the way he played. That’s a bad thing,” Greene said. ”Again, I think that’s the attitude and direction that was so preeminent with the Pittsburgh Steelers; it was about family, it was about team, the organization. Everyone in the organization would get treated fairly because we were a family.”

Clark, and others, have made public comments about a potential rift in the Steelers locker room in 2012, but Ben Roethlisberger later came out an said there was no issue. Well, Clark may have, albeit inadvertently, let slip that the Steelers locker-room in 2012 was, in fact, fractured.

“I’ve received numerous texts … Antonio Brown, when I texted him my new number, first thing he said was, ‘Look man, we’re going to grind, we’re going to work this year. None of the things that we thought were going on last year are going to go on,’” Clark said.
    “Ben called me during the offseason and said, ‘Hey, I came out and made a statement that there was no fracture in the locker room because there is none. It’s 2013, we’re starting this over, whatever happened last year happened. Let’s move on.’”

And there you have it. Clark, although it seems as though he didn’t mean too, admitted that there was a rift in the locker-room last season. As he quotes Ben as saying, however, what happened last year happened and it’s time to move on.

“If this is what they’re going to say about us outside of this locker room, all we have to count on is what we do inside of this locker room. What we do on the grass,” Clark said. “So that’s the mentality that we’ve taken and I think it’s going to be a plus for us.”

Hopefully they can follow Brown’s lead and get to work on improving from their disappointing 8-8 season in 2012. We also have to hope that young players like Brown, Maurkice Pouncey and others can step up and become leaders for a team that desperately needs them after losing players like James Farrior, James Harrison and Hines Ward in only a two year span.

Many believe that these comments and issues have stemmed from unhappy wide receiver Mike Wallace, who held out last off-season, and didn’t perform to normal standards during the year. As fans we have to hope if he was the issues, or whoever else it may have been, that those problems are now gone or will be forgotten. After last season a fresh start is exactly what this team needs and with a solid 2013 draft class and some turnover in free agency that may be exactly what they are going for.

[URL]http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/steelers_talked_to_max_starks_about_returning_star ks_now_likely_to_sign_with_the_san_diego_chargers/13582580[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

In addition to Wally, I think it says a lot that the Steelers didn't even offer Keenan a contract.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    In addition to Wally, I think it says a lot that the Steelers didn't even offer Keenan a contract.
    Agreed. hope some day it will come out about what their thinking was on this. pretty sure it had nothing to do with his play and everything to do with other matters... question is, what other matters?

Money doesn't change a person. Having more money just makes you more of what you already are - B Proctor

Rookie

User Info Menu

I read the quote several times and can't quite figure out how Clark "admitted" to a "fractured" locker room...

Was it the "whatever happened last year was last year" thing? Because that's pretty thin...