Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: When did you first become a Steeler fan?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    I remember the rivalries very well and have enjoyed most of it - except 1995. As for the Leafs, my fan card pretty much expired about 10 years ago when I first got direct tv and started watching hockey from other markets. When the direct cards finally got zapped for good I couldn't go back to watching the plodding style of the Leafs. Must say though, after nine years it is good to see hockey back here, and the fan base has done a good job of keeping expectations in check. Very unlike Leaf fans. I'm sure that the Pens would much prefer to see the Leafs in the second round rather than the Bruins but either way it will be a physical series. The Leafs are not as good as Boston, but they would still be tough. Problem with the Leafs is that their tougher players have limited skill and can't play much. The Bruins have big tough guys who can play.

My son is dying for the Pens to win it, he is a huge Sidney fan, but you guys better get that goaltending under wraps otherwise you might find yourselves stuck with Luongo this off-season.
    I went to the Hockey HOF last year for the first time. And I was surprised to learn the Canadians are like the Steelers of the NHL and so many people outside of Montreal root for them. They're like Canada's team.

I also found that any Candian will talk to me for hours about the Penguins. I have yet to meet a Canadian who doesn't love Crosby. It's like he's related to every single person in Canada and collectively the country roots for him.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Feast or famine with Fleury, so it seems. He could come back vs Ottawa and dominate. Or they could keep Vokoun in net for a time, but I am concerned that he fatigues with too much play.

I'd like to see Fleury back and successful. I love redemption stories. Speaking of which, it would be a good story to see the Leafs go deep into the playoffs. It is good to see the teams from Canada do well.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I went to the Hockey HOF last year for the first time. And I was surprised to learn the Canadians are like the Steelers of the NHL and so many people outside of Montreal root for them. They're like Canada's team.

I also found that any Candian will talk to me for hours about the Penguins. I have yet to meet a Canadian who doesn't love Crosby. It's like he's related to every single person in Canada and collectively the country roots for him.
    Yes, hockey is very Canadiana. It is the one sport where we dominate the number of players in the league, so the roots run deep for many teams. You will find that most Canadians will like players as much as teams, guys such as Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin etc. are very popular whether they play for your favorite team or not.

The only real hatred to find around here are big rivalries (of course) - like Leaf/Canadiens, Leafs/Senators - but not as bad as they once were before the Leafs sat on the sidelines nine playoffs in a row. The other thing that is almost unanimous around here is hatred for the Canucks. I have never seen such a team of whiners and probably dislike them more than any other sports team including Ravens, Cowboys, Bengals etc.

And ya.....the HHOF is very cool. My son has dragged me downtown many times to go.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

One of my band buddies (I met him playing hockey up here) is Canadian (from Oshawa), father was a trainer for the North Stars for many years. He hates the Montreal Canadians, loves the Leafs. He used to hang out with the Stars, stick boy, met alot of the great ones, has some great stories.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DukieBoy View Post
    Feast or famine with Fleury, so it seems. He could come back vs Ottawa and dominate. Or they could keep Vokoun in net for a time, but I am concerned that he fatigues with too much play.

I'd like to see Fleury back and successful. I love redemption stories. Speaking of which, it would be a good story to see the Leafs go deep into the playoffs. It is good to see the teams from Canada do well.
    Fluery is the worst best goaltender in hockey. I'd like to see the Pens try and find another goalie. Or send Fluery to stick handling camp. Any time he skates to retrieve the puck I get nervous. I feel physically ill like doom is impending.

It would also be nice to play defense in front of either goalie. I think the Islanders are gonna be really good for a long time. They felt bigger, stronger, and faster. I'm still not sure how we beat them.

Legend

User Info Menu

Yes, hockey is very Canadiana. It is the one sport where we dominate the number of players in the league, so the roots run deep for many teams. You will find that most Canadians will like players as much as teams, guys such as Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin etc. are very popular whether they play for your favorite team or not.

The only real hatred to find around here are big rivalries (of course) - like Leaf/Canadiens, Leafs/Senators - but not as bad as they once were before the Leafs sat on the sidelines nine playoffs in a row. The other thing that is almost unanimous around here is hatred for the Canucks. I have never seen such a team of whiners and probably dislike them more than any other sports team including Ravens, Cowboys, Bengals etc.

And ya.....the HHOF is very cool. My son has dragged me downtown many times to go.
    I've always wondered, is Canuck a negative word to a Canandian? I wondered if it was like how Southerners and Northerners in the US get along. I mean it's no big deal, but I've heard a lot of people in the South refer to me and others as Yankees. It just sounds weird to me but it seems to have some deep meaning to them.

Legend

User Info Menu

This year is just an indoctrination year for the Leafs. Let the kids get a feel for playoff atmosphere. There was so much inexperience on the team that they needed a taste, like the Islanders.

Legend

User Info Menu

One of my band buddies (I met him playing hockey up here) is Canadian (from Oshawa), father was a trainer for the North Stars for many years. He hates the Montreal Canadians, loves the Leafs. He used to hang out with the Stars, stick boy, met alot of the great ones, has some great stories.
    Always great stories when it comes to people who know or have had interactions with hockey players. They are easily the most down to earth of any of the big four team sports. A lot of great people for the most part, and that goes for players of all nationalities that I've run across over the years.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I've always wondered, is Canuck a negative word to a Canandian? I wondered if it was like how Southerners and Northerners in the US get along. I mean it's no big deal, but I've heard a lot of people in the South refer to me and others as Yankees. It just sounds weird to me but it seems to have some deep meaning to them.
    Not viewed negatively at all. The only insult that I might feel is if I thought that someone was calling me a Vancouver hockey fan. That is below the belt.

Legend

User Info Menu

Not viewed negatively at all. The only insult that I might feel is if I thought that someone was calling me a Vancouver hockey fan. That is below the belt.
    LOL. I'll remember to call you a Vancouver fan should we ever have a throw down.