Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: When did you first become a Steeler fan?

Backup

User Info Menu

2005- January 15 Jets vs Steelers at Heinz Field. Recently, I know but here the media does not give NFL the importence it deserves.

Roethlisberger was a rookie and we win with a OT field goal by Reed. Since then I love the Pittsburgh Steelers.

A curiosity, I like soccer too and I am a "Athletic Club de Bilbao" fan. Bilbao (I discover this a couple of years later) is a sister city of Pittsburgh and is similar because the city has the main iron industry of the country.
    On the Superbowl XL a spanish analyst said the seahawks were as Chelsea (of London) and the Steelers as "Athletic Club". Funny.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSpain View Post
    2005- January 15 Jets vs Steelers at Heinz Field. Recently, I know but here the media does not give NFL the importence it deserves.

Roethlisberger was a rookie and we win with a OT field goal by Reed. Since then I love the Pittsburgh Steelers.

A curiosity, I like soccer too and I am a "Athletic Club de Bilbao" fan. Bilbao (I discover this a couple of years later) is a sister city of Pittsburgh and is similar because the city has the main iron industry of the country.

On the Superbowl XL a spanish analyst said the seahawks were as Chelsea (of London) and the Steelers as "Athletic Club". Funny.
    Spain - My grandfather came her from Spain in the early 1900's. I went to Spain with my dad in 1999. We flew into Bilbao, drove the entire north coast of Spain, thru Santander to La Coruna, stayed in Gijon and Oviedo. Absolutely incredible trip. My grandfather was born in a tiny village south of Gijon called Llanuces. We went there too. I will never forget how generous and caring our relatives there were. Absolutely amazing trip.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NW Steeler View Post
    Spain - My grandfather came her from Spain in the early 1900's. I went to Spain with my dad in 1999. We flew into Bilbao, drove the entire north coast of Spain, thru Santander to La Coruna, stayed in Gijon and Oviedo. Absolutely incredible trip. My grandfather was born in a tiny village south of Gijon called Llanuces. We went there too. I will never forget how generous and caring our relatives there were. Absolutely amazing trip.
    The north of Spain is IMO the best part of the country. Good food, good people, the field is always green... Unfortunately it rains a lot but I try to go there whenever I can. And Bilbao is a very very beautiful city.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

The north of Spain is IMO the best part of the country. Good food, good people, the field is always green... Unfortunately it rains a lot but I try to go there whenever I can. And Bilbao is a very very beautiful city.
    Spanish people are cool for many reasons, here's a few that stand out to me:

1. Siestas

2. Their lunch is our dinner. Makes more sense. If I'm gonna eat til I fall asleep, I'd rather do it in the middle of the day instead of ruining my evening. Smart people.

3. Gladiator was a great movie and everyone loved the Spaniard.

4. First time I was in France, I didn't speak French and the French were rude as could be about it. And I even have some French ancestory - makes me feel douchey for it. But nonetheless, I was able to meet a Vietnamese cab driver that spoke Spanish to me and got me around and was super helpful. The US has the whole Vietnam war and wouldn't you know many years later an old Vietnam guy's helping out a young dumb American in France. It was like a cross between the Karate Kid and Rocky where he fights Drago. If I can change and youse can change, we all can change....Banzaiii!!!!!!!!

5. Dali's one of my favorite painters of all time. If he were still around and I were rich, I'd commission him to do a Persistence of All Time that would blow everyone's mind.

6. Nudity is legal everywhere in Spain. Not sure if it's true today, but someone told me that when I was there. And I thought, man, these people get it.

7. We used to have a chain restaurant in Pittsburgh called Chi Chis. A spanish friend told me it was slang for Boobs. He thought it was hillarious.

8. One of my favorite restaurants in Pittsburgh 20 years ago was Mallorca. That's where I learned it's appropriate to have an after dinner shot. These people know how to party.

9. If the Spaniards don't send Columbus this way, we're just a bunch of Indians in America. Or I was born in France or Germany or Slovakia or one of 100 different countries.

10. Don Quixote is my hero and model for my life. Striving for ideals no matter how silly and unattainable they may be. One of my favorite works.

Viva La Vida

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Having dinner at 9 or 10 at night was a bit odd, but after your "Spanish clock" gets adjusted to the late nights, it seems about right.

Legend

User Info Menu

birth... .

and for my first birthday my dad brought Ernie Holmes home. True story...
    Last edited by feltdizz; 05-09-2013 at 01:10 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

Thanks flippy very appreciate. It was very emotional. But:

6. Nudity is only legal in certain places not everywhere. Hopefully.

7. Chichi principally means pussy, but we have thousands of names for the body parts.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    Aint THAT the truth.
    I will never forget what happenned that day. Very sad:

The 1972 Nicaragua earthquake was an earthquake that occurred at 12:29 a.m. local time (06:29 UTC) on Saturday, December 23, 1972 near Managua, the capital of Nicaragua.

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Nicaragua_earthquake[/URL]

I dont get how that would move someone to become a Steeler fan but we all respond to far away tragedies in different ways.
    I would hope that you were kidding? I meant the day of the Immaculate Reception.

Ya know I never thought about this but the reality of that day (December 23, 1972), is that Pittsburgh sports fans gained a sports dynasty (Steelers), yet would ultimately lose a Sports Icon/Legend (Roberto Clemente). Due to the earthquake that happened on that day in Nicaragua, Clemente would board a plane 8 days later to deliver emergency relief aid packages. As we all know his plane crashed and he was killed.

Wow...what a trip.
    Steelers 2015 Draft???....Go Freak! As in....

1-Bernardrick McKinney MLB Mississippi State 6 ft 5 250 4.5 40 yard dash

Legend

User Info Menu

I was born in 1970 and became a Steelers fan at the ripe old age of 4.
    My oldest cousin who I looked up to was a Steelers fan during the Superbowl years so naturally I had to follow.
    I remember being around 8 or 9 years old and my mom bought me my first football helmet.
    It was a Jets helmet because living in NY there was no Steelers stuff at the local sportshops.
    I got a can of black spraypaint and painted it black and put a yellow stripe down the middle....LOL
    My 2 younger brothers were forced into Steeler Nation at a young age, as well as my 2 sons.
    Over the years we have recruited a lot of friends into diehards and we visit Heinz every year.
    My 2 brothers and some friends got season tix last year.
    My favorite player to this day is still Jack Lambert.
    I have only missed 1 Steelers game on TV since 1992.
    It was a Ravens game I had on tape around 6 years ago where they got blown out and I happenned to see the score.
    Black and Gold all the way to the grave

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Thanks flippy very appreciate. It was very emotional. But:

6. Nudity is only legal in certain places not everywhere. Hopefully.

7. Chichi principally means pussy, but we have thousands of names for the body parts.

Is it like this in Spain? (Never Been to Spain) ...

[url]https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/308591_370062959780658_998171384_n.jpg[/url]