Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ryan Clark comments on Tom Brady

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Ryan Clark comments on Tom Brady

When players take on the offseason television junket in preparation for their post-football careers, it can lead to some down-the-road bulletin-board material.

On Monday, Pittsburgh Steelers safety Ryan Clark was asked on ESPN's "NFL Live" to dissect the New England Patriots, who play the Steelers in Week 9.

Clark broke down the post-Wes Welker era, questioning "fragile" replacement Danny Amendola and injury concerns for the Patriots' tight-end duo of Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. He also discussed the best way to beat Tom Brady:

"When Tom Brady gets pressure and when you're man-to-man and bumping those guys and making it hard for him to throw, he sees ghosts," Clark said, via CSNNE.com. "Even when guys aren't around him, even when he's not about to be sacked, when his clock goes off in his head that the ball should be out, we'll see him duck, we'll see him flinch. When you get Tom Brady doing that, the whole New England Patriots mystique goes away."

None of what Clark said was exactly revolutionary. Brady himself in the past has discussed his propensity to avoid tacklers who don't exist.

That doesn't mean that in the week leading up to the Steelers-Patriots matchup at Gillete Stadium, Clark's words won't be dredged back up, thumbtacked to cork board and dissected by every media member.

Those are the breaks for a guy playing analyst while still donning a helmet.

Follow Kevin Patra on Twitter @kpatra.
    [url]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000167620/article/ryan-clark-tom-brady-flinches-under-pressure[/url]

This should make the week 9 match-up a little more exciting.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I was always a fan of being almost overly complimentary of your opponent or combatant. The media knows where to dig in the yard for poop when it wants to catch the whiff of it.
    Last edited by Mister Pittsburgh; 05-07-2013 at 11:12 AM.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Mark this game a loss and Brady going after Clark for a bunch of TDs.

Legend

User Info Menu

After the Anthony Smith debacle, I'd rather not see another Steelers safety call out Tom Brady.

I don't disagree with Clark's assessment, but I'd rather he just stay quiet.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Cool.

Now, maybe Tom will refuse to bob and weave...he can take the hits from actual tacklers...

Legend

User Info Menu

uhh... don't fool yourselves. Last I checked, the idea is to not take unnecessary hits from 240 lb behemoths, be able to stay in the game and play a full season. Wish Ben could make that a part of his game now (it looked like it was happening last season, but then the injury...). Brady will likely last far longer than Ben in the NFL if he can't change his game.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    uhh... don't fool yourselves. Last I checked, the idea is to not take unnecessary hits from 240 lb behemoths, be able to stay in the game and play a full season. Wish Ben could make that a part of his game now (it looked like it was happening last season, but then the injury...). Brady will likely last far longer than Ben in the NFL if he can't change his game.
    The problem is Ben is bigger than most defenders and that's why I think he's fearless. It's only a matter of time until we get to the era of QBs built like Julius Peppers.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    After the Anthony Smith debacle, I'd rather not see another Steelers safety call out Tom Brady.

I don't disagree with Clark's assessment, but I'd rather he just stay quiet.
    You´re absolutely right. They have to talk on the field. Although Clark isn´t Anthony Smith they better stay away from this stuff.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Mark this game a loss and Brady going after Clark for a bunch of TDs.
    And then trash talking anyone he can. Brady is a complete jerk.

Clark was dumb to poke the bear though.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Exactly. Ben has no such clock in his head. An alarm should be installed inside his helmet