Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Labriola: Guy Whimper probably close the door to Starks.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pfelix73 View Post
    Look, I'm an old lineman by trade. Zone blocking is nothing more than coming off your first block in front of you and going to your next man in your zone. (LB) It's quite simple and its taught from pee wee on up. Anyone can do it. In man, when you have good quick athletic Guards, Center you gotta get to your block by pulling and you either you can do it or you you can't. It's tough to explain all this on here via the internet, but I've read this crap about it being different for many years now- like when we had Zierlein at OL coach. Remember him? At the time ppl were saying that he was implementing a ZBS and it essentially was the same they did for years. A mixture of both man and zone.. Nothing new. And 2013 will be the same. A lot of this stuff about it being 'new' comes from the media and those that write this stuff who have never EVER played a down of organized football.. Then all the readers think hey it must be 'new' because that reporter says it is....

Personally, I moved to OT from OG because my feet weren't quick enough to get to the hole fast enough.. I always had the FB hitting me in the back before the RB could hit the hole.. I moved to OT where I excelled. Same thing no matter the league.. They will still run all of those plays just like they did last year. Zone blocking is a hell of a lot easier to do. And even Starks can do it... lol

As far as Starks- he'll play somewhere.. Why sign now? Heck, he might even wait until camp starts.. Why go through that if he doesn't have to? A lot of the vets seem to like avoiding camp.. He's got the big bucks from all the other contracts... Hell, he's in a good place....
    From one lineman to another, that was said perfectly. I clearly understood what you meant. What position did you play? I played left guard all 4 years of high school.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I played G and T in high school and then T in college....
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I played G and T in high school and then T in college....
    Right on, I was too short and too small (weighed 230, 5'10") to advance to college play.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Look, I'm an old lineman by trade. Zone blocking is nothing more than coming off your first block in front of you and going to your next man in your zone. (LB) It's quite simple and its taught from pee wee on up. Anyone can do it. In man, when you have good quick athletic Guards, Center you gotta get to your block by pulling and you either you can do it or you you can't. It's tough to explain all this on here via the internet, but I've read this crap about it being different for many years now- like when we had Zierlein at OL coach. Remember him? At the time ppl were saying that he was implementing a ZBS and it essentially was the same they did for years. A mixture of both man and zone.. Nothing new. And 2013 will be the same. A lot of this stuff about it being 'new' comes from the media and those that write this stuff who have never EVER played a down of organized football.. Then all the readers think hey it must be 'new' because that reporter says it is....

Personally, I moved to OT from OG because my feet weren't quick enough to get to the hole fast enough.. I always had the FB hitting me in the back before the RB could hit the hole.. I moved to OT where I excelled. Same thing no matter the league.. They will still run all of those plays just like they did last year. Zone blocking is a hell of a lot easier to do. And even Starks can do it... lol

As far as Starks- he'll play somewhere.. Why sign now? Heck, he might even wait until camp starts.. Why go through that if he doesn't have to? A lot of the vets seem to like avoiding camp.. He's got the big bucks from all the other contracts... Hell, he's in a good place....
    Right, there is no difference in any blocking schemes. Got it.

Anyone who wants to argue that Max can get out in space is missing it. Anyone might be able to get the concept, but that doesn't mean they can execute it.

Max is a huge mountain of a man who can't move in space and can't get beyond his first assignment.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    What's that Big Rob? Hate to hear you guys are down on Starks, but the bottom line is...the dude came in off the street the last two years, when everybody had written him off...and did a solid job. I'm still waiting for someone to step up and name a steelers O-lineman that had a more productive 2 years for us (2011 and 2012).

Any takers?
    While what Starks did for the last two years was great, I'm far more concerned with what he will or will not do this year...

Much like James Harrison...fantastic Steelers career...not a Steeler anymore, though...

Legend

User Info Menu

Every time I read this guy's name Labriola, I chuckle the same way I do when I read the thread title "Deville Does the Offseason".

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rara View Post
    Right on, I was too short and too small (weighed 230, 5'10") to advance to college play.
    That isn't even enough weight to be a quarterback in today's game.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Well this is a concern

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22206820/steelers-backup-ot-guy-whimper-has-a-history-of-allowing-sacks[/URL]
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    Well this is a concern

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22206820/steelers-backup-ot-guy-whimper-has-a-history-of-allowing-sacks[/URL]
    Yep. Cited this article earlier in the thread.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Exactly... I mean Lynn Swann (on any other team) would have gotten many one-liners from all of us... but, instead, we all thought, "aah... graceful...swan"..

guy whimper...??? c'mon... work with me here...
    OK.

He's engaged to Ima Moanin.

She's keeping her last name.

So she'll be known as Ima Moanin-Whimperer.

They're opening a leather shop.

How's that?

We got our "6-PACK" - time to work on a CASE!

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!