Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Labriola: Guy Whimper probably close the door to Starks.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    This guy is a dud and a camp body. Even the Jags didn't want him. The new line coach for the Steelers, Bicknell, worked with him when they were both at the Giants so that's a link. What exactly is it that the Steelers don't like about Starks?
    He's Ben's friend.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ern McCracken View Post
    And starks was the best, most durable lineman we've had the last two seasons. Doesn't say much for the others now does it?
    He might have been durable, but that doesn't make him the best lineman. Are we going to start lineman just on durability alone now?

He was just one part of the problem on offense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    He's Ben's friend.

Pappy
    LOL - Whatever Ben wants, Ben doesn't get. If I were Keisel I'd be very nervous.

Legend

User Info Menu

Starks may not be the most mobile, but at the end of the day, he generally keeps Ben upright, as opposed to Gilbert, who usually leaves his fellow lineman hobbled.

I think there is probably more to the story here. Starks probably does not want to return unless he can at least compete for a starting OT job, and quite frankly, I can't blame him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    He might have been durable, but that doesn't make him the best lineman. Are we going to start lineman just on durability alone now?

He went for games keeping Ben clean against some of the best pass rushers in the game which is better than any other lineman on the team can say. He had one bad game in the last couple years when he faced Aldon Smith, but who doesn't?

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yeehaa, well, with an ECU alum now headed to the Burgh, I might just get the chance once again to get into training camp this summer... Might be able to get some decent reports for us... Guy's a heck of a ball player and might just make the roster...
    6- Time Super Bowl Champions......
    IX X XIII XIV XL XLIII

2012 MNF Executive Champion

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    He went for games keeping Ben clean against some of the best pass rushers in the game which is better than any other lineman on the team can say. He had one bad game in the last couple years when he faced Aldon Smith, but who doesn't?
    Its bad that we've gotten to this point with our o-line. We've become so used to crap that we celebrate the barely mediocre.

Gilbert had a pretty good rookie year. Their betting on him getting back on track. I'll take the potential of that happening over a mediocre lineman who doesn't fit the new mold of athletic lineman.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post

when you're on the field cuz the next guy can't be... you ARE the best ... even if you suck.

He wasn't the problem. The fact that he wasn't able to *stay* unemployed because no one could stay on the field... THAT was the problem...

Otherwise... me and you are going to debate whether Duce Staley was better than Willie Parker...

Legend

User Info Menu

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Mr. Whimper:
    [url]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22206820/steelers-backup-ot-guy-whimper-has-a-history-of-allowing-sacks[/url]

For the life of me, I can't figure out why you sign someone like this. I'd rather sign another undrafted rookie. At least he MIGHT be good.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Mr. Whimper:
    [URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/22206820/steelers-backup-ot-guy-whimper-has-a-history-of-allowing-sacks[/URL]

For the life of me, I can't figure out why you sign someone like this. I'd rather sign another undrafted rookie. At least he MIGHT be good.
    kinda dumb, isn't it? And I'm guessing his salary isn't much more than what Max would command... I'd sign Max to 2-3 year, backup OT money... and call it close enough...