Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LaMarr Woodley putting in the effort for Steelers

Legend

User Info Menu

LaMarr Woodley putting in the effort for Steelers

Woodley putting in the effort for Steelers

May 5, 2013
    By Dan Gigler / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Former Pro Bowl linebacker LaMarr Woodley was a disappointment for the Steelers in 2012 but said he is working hard this offseason to make sure he helps the team get back to the playoffs.

Having absorbed criticism for a perceived lack of fitness in 2012, Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley said Saturday he's "getting after it" with his offseason conditioning, hoping to avoid the injuries that sidelined him for stretches of the past two seasons.

"My offseason is going great. I'm looking forward to getting back with the team in a few weeks," Woodley said. "I've been training since the middle of February. ... It was a disappointing season being 8-8 and not making the playoffs. It was disappointing at the end of the day."

Woodley missed three full games and most of two others last season due to ankle and hamstring injuries; he also missed six in 2011. Questions arose about his fitness, and he was anonymously blasted as "terrible" by a teammate in a Post-Gazette column in February.

"My thing was during the season when I hurt my ankle, I said that I wanted to come back stronger next year. Some injuries you can't predict or avoid, but, during the season, I said this offseason I'd be determined to get after it."

Woodley spoke at a luncheon Saturday at Station Square for the P.A.C.T. Initiative, a non-profit focused on reducing crime and violence in Pittsburgh, and the McKeesport chapter of Grandparents Raising Grandchildren.

Of his ex-cohort at outside linebacker the past six years, Woodley said, "Cincinnati got a great player in James Harrison -- he brings the experience and he brings the attitude. When we play him, he'll be fired up about it, and I know that our tackles will be fired up about going up against him."

Woodley said that he hadn't met first-round pick Jarvis Jones -- a potential successor to Harrison -- in person, but said that he spoke with him on the phone the night he was drafted.

"I congratulated him and welcomed him to the team and told him just to come in and learn the playbook and get ready to work."

[URL]http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/woodley-putting-in-the-effort-for-steelers-686295/#ixzz2SQzBVRsw[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

I guess this is encouraging depending on what he means by "getting after it" in the off season.

Does this mean that he is now training like an Ike Taylor/James Farrior? Or does it simply mean that he is training harder than in previous years?

If it is the former then he should come to camp in great shape and ready to compete.

If it is the latter then it could mean that he did a sit up just last week.

Lets hope for the former!!

Legend

User Info Menu

hmmmm, funny that woodley didnt deny not being in shape last year.
    admits that he is determined to 'get after it' this offseason.
    what about last offseason, lamaar?

Starter

User Info Menu

I thinnk these guys are seeing the potential that this years team can achieve. I don't see the defensive line being any worse, and I expect improvement from that group. While the ILB position should remain steady, the OLB position looks exciting. Woodley should notice the talent there-Worilds, Robinson and now Jones. It has the look of being 2 deep on both sides. He knows that he has a strong say in the production from that position. Even with the loss of Harrison. The secondary also looks to be an improving bunch, even with the loss of Lewis and age becoming a factor.

The offense gets DDC back and should have a couple young tackles that should be looking to make a statement. Not to mention the additions of some talented rookies in Bell and Wheaton.

I'm giddy with my foot pressing on the brakes. The pieces are there. Anything can happen.

Especially Woodley regaining his Pro Bowl form.

Legend

User Info Menu

It was disappointing that Woodley turned down the invitation to go train with Tom Shaw, as Ike does. Hopefully, he is truly getting into proper playing condition.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I read Woodley is working out with Ryan Clark in AZ
    ours is not to wonder why just invert and multiply...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Yes, I think Woodley is basically admitting that his work ethic was not up to par this past season, after he got his new contract. I think he does have a good work ethic though; he did come to the NFL with that sort of reputation. I just think he got fatcat-itis, after inking a $60m deal.

I have been a harsh critic of his, calling him out on this since the start. But I also am optimistic, that he will return to that 10-sack/year guy.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    hmmmm, funny that woodley didnt deny not being in shape last year.
    admits that he is determined to 'get after it' this offseason.
    what about last offseason, lamaar?
    Teammate: 'Woodley wasn't in shape last year, he was awful'

By Neal Coolong on Feb 17 2013

Post-Gazette columnist Ron Cook quoted an unnamed Steelers player who questioned whether oft-injured outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley's injuries are the result of not preparing for the season.

It's one of those things everyone knows, but no one of significance says it publicly.

According to Post-Gazette columnist Ron Cook, someone finally did.

Cook quotes a teammate of Steelers outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley saying Woodley - who missed the majority of the 2012 season after missing half of the 2011 season - isn't in shape, and that lack of conditioning is the reason he's been hurt so often.

Writes Cook:

"He tells us he works out, but we didn't see it. He wasn't in shape. That has to be a reason why he was always hurt."

Cook is fair on the matter, and contacted Steelers general manager Kevin Colbert for a response. Colbert told Cook Woodley's always carried a lot of weight.

That's true, but not exactly the reassurance one wants from the guy who drafted the weight-carrying Woodley in the second round and signed him to an enormous contract in 2011. Woodley has played in 23 of the Steelers last 33 games, including the playoffs, but left early in many of those due to repeated hamstring injuries.

Woodley was flat-out dominant in 2011 before suffering a hamstring pull against New England in Week 8. He already had two sacks in the game and was chasing quarterback Tom Brady down for a third when he pulled off with the injury. He was essentially ineffective for the remainder of the season.

He notched four sacks in 2012, having missed large amounts of time with injury. Even when he played, he wasn't ever really a factor. Over the last two years, the Steelers have fallen from one best sacking teams in the NFL to the middle of the pack.

Clearly, Cook's source has noticed it, and it's absolutely not been lost on fans who have even gone as far as to call for Woodley's release this offseason.

Such a drastic approach isn't likely warranted at this point, but Woodley will have a very difficult time justifying his inclusion on the roster in 2014 if his 2013 year is like his last 22 games.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/2/17/3998100/lamarr-woodley-injuries-comments-teammate-not-in-shape-quote[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

And stop doing the stupid leg kick

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpmpit View Post
    And stop doing the stupid leg kick
    I know it´s stupid, but I like because it means he has one more sack
    Steeler Nation in Spain