Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortez Allen prepares for strong challenge

Legend

User Info Menu

Cortez Allen prepares for strong challenge

Steelers’ Allen prepares for strong challenge

By Ralph N. Paulk
    Published: Saturday, May 4, 2013

The Steelers' Cortez Allen pulls in an interception against the Bengals during the 2012 season.

Position: Cornerback

School: Citadel

Year: Third

2012 stats: 43 solo tackles, 12 assists, 2 INTs

2011 stats: 9 solo tackles, 1 assist

Cortez Allen marvels at the sometimes-immeasurable sweat equity veteran cornerback Ike Taylor invests into his offseason workouts. It's a punishing exercise of physical toughness designed to strengthen a player mentally.

Allen, entering his third season with the Steelers, is physically gifted. He has spent the past three months perfecting his coverage skills and understanding the complexities of Dick LeBeau's pass defense.

More important, he has prepared his body and mind for a grueling training camp and 16-game season. Even Taylor, who suffered a season-ending ankle fracture, couldn't make it through the 2012 season.

“Ike is one of the hardest workers I've met,” said Allen, who sustained a hip flexor and groin injury in Week 14 against San Diego. “Seeing the way he does things is something that I would one day like to model. I'm getting a close-up view of what it takes to play 10 years in this league.

“We know what's required in the scheme of what we do. We know how to push one another. We have to coach each other. We're making one another and the team better as a whole.”

The 6-foot-1, 195-pound cornerback already is expected to slide into the starting role at right corner — a slot left vacant by the departure of Keenan Lewis, who signed a free-agent contract with New Orleans.

Allen, though, is hesitant to pencil himself into the lineup on a defense that led the NFL in total defense (275.8 yards) and pass defense (185.2) the past two seasons. Besides, he'll have plenty of competition when training camp begins in mid-July at Saint Vincent College.

“If you don't want to take on this kind of challenge, then you're playing the wrong game, and you'll never be as good as you can be,” said Allen, a 2011 third-round pick from The Citadel. “When the opportunity presents itself, my preparation and mindset will be ready.”

The Steelers brought back William Gay, who was the 2011 starter at right cornerback, before spending the 2012 season with Arizona. Curtis Brown, DeMarcus van Dyke and Josh Victoria all had their chances to audition last season.

Perhaps Allen's biggest threat is fifth-round draft pick Terry Hawthorne. Defensive back coach Carnell Lake is impressed with the Illinois product's potential upside, speed, size and coverage ability.

Lake and LeBeau are excited about Hawthorne and Shamarko Thomas, a versatile defensive back drafted in the fourth round from Syracuse. Hawthorne and Thomas will be given a chance to see if they have a nose for the ball.

“(Hawthorne) doesn't mind tackling, and he can play press coverage well, kind of the same way as an Ike Taylor,” Lake said.

But Allen welcomes the challenge. After all, training camp might be a breeze compared to what Taylor has put him through at the Wild World of Sports training facility in Orlando, Fla.

“It's about what I expect from myself, and I try not to get into who will start,” Allen said. “I'm focusing on what I need to do to get better. I feel like everything will take care of itself if I can handle what I need to do personally.

“I believe I have the ability to make plays and help the team any way I can. I've shown the coaches I can be that guy they drafted.”

The Steelers relied heavily on Allen when Taylor and Lewis were sidelined with injuries. Brown, drafted ahead of Allen in 2011, hasn't been nearly as effective, partly because of injuries.

“We're hoping that Curtis can turn the corner right now,” Lake said.

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/3925509-74/allen-season-taylor#ixzz2SQwqvJg2[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Good read. With that kind of Tayloresque work ethic, this kid should be all that he can be.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

damn I respect the hell out of ivan taylor.

a pros pro.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Look for Cortez to have a big season for us. He showed alot last year, I thought. Don't think we'll miss Lewis.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    damn I respect the hell out of ivan taylor.

a pros pro.
    Absolutely. Great to see his work ethic rubbing off on the younger guys.

Starter

User Info Menu

I think Cortez possessed this kind of work ethic just by coming out of the citadel.

Being a Veteran myself, I have witnessed first hand what military discipline can do for the right individual. If it is embrassed properly, the sky's the limit. Some people can transition this training over to civilian life. Others can't.

Cortez is going to be a hell of a pro. He is a leader in the making that this team so desperately needs.

I think I am more excited for this young man than any other on the roster. Not just for his skills on the field, but for the example he will show for present and future players, both on the field, in the locker room/meetings, and off the field as well.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I agree with everyone here. I wasn't sure what we had in Allen but its very nice to see him and Ike working together. Seems like a great character guy.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Backup

User Info Menu

Don´t forget 3 fumbles forced in the last two games. One against Bengals and two against Browns.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Backup

User Info Menu

I always thought that Cortez was the gem of the group. He seemed more capeble of taking the ball away then the others.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I wish someone would error check these Pittsburgh reporters. Allen was a 4th round pick out of the Citadel. Curtis Brown was the 3rd round pick that year at corner.

It does give me hope that maybe Lake has found another gem in Hawthorne. We can all hope.