Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Everyone whining about Starks

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Everyone whining about Starks

Why are we obsessed with a very mediocre Tackle? Lets just state it plainly. HE CAN'T MOVE IN SPACE.

The OC and the new OL coach must have athletic lineman that can move in space. Is it really a surprise then that Starks is not being re-signed?

The biggest weakness to his game is run blocking because it requires him to move in space. He literally can't do this.

He can pass protect in a decent manner because of the planet theory. The guy is freaking huge. He's got really long arms. Guys can't bull rush him and so they try to outrun him. It works sometimes.

I'm not saying Gilbert and Adams are great Tackles. But they fit the athletic mold the OC and OL coach like. Lets give em a chance.

But no one ever questions why he is unsigned although healthy and has a lot of starting experience. Other teams don't value him either.
    Last edited by BigRob; 05-06-2013 at 03:43 PM.

Backup

User Info Menu

I've always thought that Max was a solid starter, not great but good enough. I think it's weird that teams haven't shown interest in him. He's definitely a good backup and insurance against any problems with Gilbert and Adams. I still think that the Steelers will sign him at a later date.

Legend

User Info Menu

I think Max a solid starter as well. Plus, he's the only O-Lineman that can stay healthy. With the signing of Guy Whimper today, it appears maybe the brass isn't sold on Gilbert yet.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Why are we obsessed with a very mediocre Tackle? Lets just state it plainly. HE CAN'T MOVE IN SPACE.

The OC and the new OL coach must have athletic lineman that can move in space. Is it really a surprise then that Starks is not being re-signed?

The biggest weakness to his game is run blocking because it requires him to move in space. He literally can't do this.

He can pass protect in a decent manner because of the planet theory. The guy is freaking huge. He's got really long arms. Guys can't bull rush him and so they try to outrun him. It works sometimes.

I'm not saying Gilbert and Adams are great Tackles. But they fit the athletic mold the OC and OL coach like. Lets give em a chance.

But no one ever questions why he is unsigned although healthy and has a lot of starting experience. Other teams don't value him either.
    Well I'm going to disagree with you. Starks would be a great depth signing. He has been a solid pass blocker and I think you undervalue his run blocking. The problem we have in the run game is poor blocking from the middle of the line ... not really at the tackle spot. I don't think anybody on here was saying sign Max and start him. I think they were like me and if Gilbert or Adams can't handle the LT spot you have someone decent to put in the lineup.

I don't know anything about this Whimper guy but since we signed him I hope he turns into the next Anthony Munoz.
    As many on this site think ... The Rooney's suck, Colbert sucks, Tomlin sucks, the coaches suck, and the players suck.

but Go Steelers!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ikestops85 View Post
    Well I'm going to disagree with you. Starks would be a great depth signing. He has been a solid pass blocker and I think you undervalue his run blocking. The problem we have in the run game is poor blocking from the middle of the line ... not really at the tackle spot. I don't think anybody on here was saying sign Max and start him. I think they were like me and if Gilbert or Adams can't handle the LT spot you have someone decent to put in the lineup.

I don't know anything about this Whimper guy but since we signed him I hope he turns into the next Anthony Munoz.
    Everyone also assumes that Max will come back to be a back-up. Perhaps for him it is start somewhere or play nowhere.

Just tired of celebrated mediocrity on the line. This is probably once again the biggest failure of the FO this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

Gilbert stanks...

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

pretty telling that max can't even get a visit, that I'm aware of. Though I do believe he has been tremendously undervalued by the coaching staff. He saved their ass 2 years ago.

I have some hope for gilbert, but I think its a long shot for him to be even a serviceable LT. I believe adams has a better shot to step into that role.

Legend

User Info Menu

BigRob, your description of Starks sounds very similar to Fluker, the 11th overall pick in the draft this year. Starks is far from an elite OT, but you can do a lot worse. And we're one vaginal bruise to Gilbert away from seeing what "worse" can look like. Hopefully Whimper is better than Scott at LT. If not, it could be a very long season for the Steelers and a very short season for Ben.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    BigRob, your description of Starks sounds very similar to Fluker, the 11th overall pick in the draft this year. Starks is far from an elite OT, but you can do a lot worse. And we're one vaginal bruise to Gilbert away from seeing what "worse" can look like. Hopefully Whimper is better than Scott at LT. If not, it could be a very long season for the Steelers and a very short season for Ben.
    Starks ability to run block is nothing like Flukers'. That man could maul a bear.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

honestly, I'm not overly concerned about my LT run blocking.

that's not what he's paid for.