Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Legend

User Info Menu

Jarvis Jones: I’m not James Harrison, but I love his game

Jarvis Jones: I’m not James Harrison, but I love his game

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 3, 2013, 8:47 PM EDT
    Getty Images
    In March, the Steelers cut outside linebacker [URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/665/james-harrison"]James Harrison[/URL]. In April, the Steelers spent their first-round draft pick on outside linebacker[URL="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8373/jarvis-jones"]Jarvis Jones[/URL]. Jones understands that makes people view him as Harrison’s heir apparent.
    But Jones won’t compare himself to Harrison until he earns it.
    “I don’t compare myself in no way to James Harrison,” Jones said at the Steelers’ rookie minicamp today, via the Associated Press. “He’s a great player. Respect him. Never met him. But I love his game. I wouldn’t mind being an impact player like James Harrison.”
    For Jones, loving Harrison’s game has included studying the way the Steelers play defense with Harrison on the roster over the last decade. And Jones thinks he knows the role he’s going to play in Pittsburgh.
    “They’re about playing hard-nosed defense and they’re about playing down after down. I see it and I know what it means,” Jones said.
    At his best, Harrison played hard-nosed defense like few other linebackers in the NFL. The Steelers would love to see Jones emulate that. But if Jones is planning on playing like Harrison, he’d better start setting aside some fine money.
    ​2019 MNFE CHAMPION

Legend

User Info Menu

Dude needs to hit the weight room, seriously. I saw Willis on a commercial the other day and damn, that is a LB's body.

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCoast View Post
    Dude needs to hit the weight room, seriously. I saw Willis on a commercial the other day and damn, that is a LB's body.
    Jack Lambert needed to hit the weight room also, right? Measured 6' 3" and 204 lbs as a rookie... What were they thinking when they drafted that guy with the pencil legs? How'd that turn out?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Jack Lambert needed to hit the weight room also, right? Measured 6' 3" and 204 lbs as a rookie... What were they thinking when they drafted that guy with the pencil legs? How'd that turn out?
    Don't keep us in suspense Captain.......how did it turn out?

Legend

User Info Menu

Harrison for a few years played the most well rounded game of any 3-4 OLB ever!! Of course you'd love his game. If this #1 can have even close to the impact on games that the UDFA had then we got a steal at 17.

Backup

User Info Menu

He was a serviceable ILB... Tackles 1,479 (1,045 solo) Sacks 23.5 Interceptions 28

9× Pro Bowl selection (1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983)
    7× First-team All-Pro selection (1975, 1976, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983)
    1× Second-team All-Pro selection 1978
    4× Super Bowl champion (IX, X, XIII, XIV)
    NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team
    NFL 1980s All-Decade Team
    NFL 1970s All-Decade Team
    1974 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year
    1976 NFL Defensive Player of the Year

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

No one mentioned yet how he mentioned James Harrison, Captain Crunch likened his situation to Jack Lambert, and the kid is wearing #95 (a number that should be unofficially officially retired AFAIC). Amazing lineage (most teams would be happy with one of those characters) the kid is going to have to live up to.

Legend

User Info Menu

Farrior played like a beast and I heard he had a tough time keeping his weight over the low 200s. Especially after he started training with Ike/Shaw in the offseason.

Legend

User Info Menu

As long as Jones has functional football strength I don't really care how much he weighs.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    As long as Jones has functional football strength I don't really care how much he weighs.

Pappy
    Right. The days of thinking that a certain build is the guarantor of a great player should have ended long ago.
    Steel City Mafia
    So Cal Boss (Ret)
    [URL]http://www.anewsong.com[/URL]