Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Jarvis Jones Look undersized and does it matter?

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Does Jarvis Jones Look undersized and does it matter?

I read an article at Steelers depot where Mark Kaboly commented on Jones and his size. He said he looks kind of small compared to Jason Worlids and Lamar Woodley.
    He does look that way but at 245 that should be big enough to play that position, although the article said he may struggle against the run getting off blocks on the edge.

I don't know if his size really matters, if he can do what the Steelers expect of him. He has the speed, now its a matter of technique and learning the defense.
    James Harrison was considered small too in height but he made up for it getting an edge in leverage, however he was a workout freak who had the power to beat his man getting to the QB, and one of the best in stopping the run.

Btw, If he's considered on the lean side maybe beside getting to the QB he'll do well in pass coverage something we could use from the OLB position.
    Last edited by supersteeler; 05-04-2013 at 08:48 AM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kaboly's frame of reference may skew things a bit. Or, his motivation to draw attention through negativity may play a part.

I suppose he might have said that James Harrison is too short, or Lamarr Woodley is too _______ . Jarvis Jones has proofed himself where it really matters, on the field, rather than in Kaboly's report.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    I read an article at Steelers depot where Mark Kaboly commented on Jones and his size. He said he looks kind of small compared to Jason Worlids and Lamar Woodley.
    He does look that way but at 245 that should be big enough to play that position, although the article said he may struggle against the run getting off blocks on the edge.

I don't know if his size really matters, if he can do what the Steelers expect of him. He has the speed, now its a matter of technique and learning the defense.
    James Harrison was considered small too in height but he made up for it getting an edge in leverage, however he was a workout freak who had the power to beat his man getting to the QB, and one of the best in stopping the run.

Btw, If he's considered on the lean side maybe beside getting to the QB he'll do well in pass coverage something we could use from the OLB position.
    I don't care what Kaboly said. My eyes see a "smaller" lean frame player compared to some of our other OLB. I think maybe Chad Brown or Haggens maybe had the same build. It does concern me right now. Will see after the season is over. I don't care what he did in college. Time to step it up. I also wonder if the steelers will bulk up a already "slower" player? He needs to add strength forsure. Some rumors during the draft have me worried about Jones offseason conditioning. But then it came out he was working out were Ike does. So that should be fine. Excited to see how he does in preseason games.
    Last edited by SS Laser; 05-04-2013 at 12:08 PM.

Legend

User Info Menu

I dont care what the article says. JJ talked about playing against Neon LeVeon in college and he mentioned Neon was bigger than him. Now we're hearing JJ is 245 and Neon is 230 and they're both small. Comparing JJ to Wood and World isn't fair. Wood ate Casey Hampton and World got huge like a DLineman this last offseason. Those guys are monsters and neither is built to play ROLB where I expect the guy to be a little leaner.

They'll both add 10-15 lbs in the next year like every other rookie. No biggie.

Starter

User Info Menu

Woodley and Worilds were both defensive ends coming out of college. So of
    course they were bigger than Jones. JJ is an outside backer used to playing in a 3/4 scheme. Seems like a great fit. Of course he'll get bigger and stronger in the NFL. As long as he keeps his quickness and burst he'll be a beast.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Woodley and Worilds were both defensive ends coming out of college. So of
    course they were bigger than Jones. JJ is an outside backer used to playing in a 3/4 scheme. Seems like a great fit. Of course he'll get bigger and stronger in the NFL. As long as he keeps his quickness and burst he'll be a beast.
    There's a good point right there.

Backup

User Info Menu

Greg Lloyd played the position at 225.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    Greg Lloyd played the position at 225.
    There's another good point right there.

Legend

User Info Menu

Jones hasnt proven himself in the NFL yet... size will be a concern until he shows out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Von Miller #58 LB
    [URL="http://www.nfl.com/teams/denverbroncos/profile?team=DEN"]Denver Broncos[/URL] |
    Height: 6-3 Weight: 237