Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers rookie camp observations (day 1)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Kaboly's statements remind me of Smizik or Dejan writing about the Pirates like he is looking for stuff to be negative about.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

First practice goes well for rookies

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Steelers’ rookie minicamp kicked into full gear on Friday, with players getting their first taste of an NFL practice.

And from the sounds of things, despite there being a case of information overload, it was successful.

“Everything went good,” said second-round pick Le’Veon Bell, a running back from Michigan State. “It’s a little different from college to an NFL practice. I don’t think my first day could have gone any better. I didn’t mess up any assignments or anything. That was a good thing. I am just out here competing with better competition.”

The group went through early morning meetings, before hitting the field to put what they learned in the classroom to the test.

“It went good,” said quarterback Landry Jones, the fourth-round pick from Oklahoma. “I had a lot of fun out here, but obviously there is still a lot of learning for me, putting in the whole offense and getting into all of it. I had a good time. It was a great opportunity.”

Jones said picking up the offense is like anything else new, it’s going to take time to become comfortable with it.

“There is just more information (than college),” said Jones. “I just need to get in there and study my playbook, but overall I thought it was a pretty positive first day. I am here to learn football. They gave me the opportunity to come and play so I am here to play some football and have some fun.”

The feeling was the same down the line, players anxious to have fun, while at the same time competing and showing what they can do.

“I want to go out and compete,” said Bell. “I want to get my feet under me and get used to these NFL practices and the NFL competition. The guys out here running around are a little faster. I am just trying to get used to it and get a feel for it. That’s what makes me better and the people around me better. That’s what will make this team better. I have to go out there and do some good things. That will put me in the right direction.”

Bell, whose mother and grandfather grew up Steelers’ fans, was in Pittsburgh following the draft at the team’s Fan Blitz, and said he couldn’t wait to get back for the minicamp.

“This is my first time that I can remember being so excited for practice” said Bell. “My family grew up as Steelers fans. They are really happy for me. I can’t wait to talk to my mom and tell her how my first practice went.”

[URL]http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/First-practice-goes-well-for-rookies/23976bfe-8547-4fb4-8f0a-c158fb4e3175[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

My IT guy...
    Hahahahahahaha

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    The observations are from Mark Kaboly, so take it with a grain of salt. He's probably the worst guy there is covering the Steelers. [URL="http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/05/03/steelers-rookie-camp-observations-day-1/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter"]

http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2013/05/03/steelers-rookie-camp-observations-day-1/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter[/URL]
    At least Kaboly gave us some kind of insite on more then a player or 2. Man I hope someone writes a tad more on the first day with some depth. The media sucks! Now if there was "bad" news to report there would be a ton to read. WTF. Yes I know it is just rookie camp but I want more dang it.

Also glad to see the Shark passes the eye test! Hope to see Troy, Shark, and Clark on the field at the same time.

Legend

User Info Menu

a 6'-1" RB is big IMO... Bettis he ain't but Bell looks big to me...

Jarvis is a little light but I wonder if that is part of the reason he tore up the SEC.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Bell, whose mother and grandfather grew up Steelers’ fans, was in Pittsburgh following the draft at the team’s Fan Blitz, and said he couldn’t wait to get back for the minicamp.
    I also know that Jarvis wanted to be a Steeler. Love it when guys go where the WANT to go...

Can you imagine (as a fan) being a kid with the talent to get drafted by the Steelers... you'd do everything you can to keep the tradition going.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    great reports on shamarko.

flippy will flip out.
    Glad he's getting some love so far. As I mentioned, he was my favorite player in the whole draft. The one guy I wanted and somehow we got him. Wooohooo.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    a 6'-1" RB is big IMO... Bettis he ain't but Bell looks big to me...
    Eddie George was about the same size and he looked slender. If a guy is that heavy and has no belly, it's a really good thing.

Starter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Kaboly's statements remind me of Smizik or Dejan writing about the Pirates like he is looking for stuff to be negative about.
    Perhaps because Kaboly's like 400 lbs himself he thinks everyone else looks small?

Seriously though, it was a no-pads practice. Players look a helluva lot smaller in those jerseys without pads.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by squidkid View Post
    i realize that. i just dont understand(especially rookies) how you can get much accomplished in 2 hours. i've coached plenty and time flies when you try to get everything done that is on your daily practice itinerary.
    gotta start somewhere, and TBH these kids are probably completely overwhelmed with the process for the first day or two. i dont think there would be much retention if true instruction were happening. just getting them comfortable with the atmosphere is my guess.

But THIS is what excites me:

* Markus Wheaton is a fast version of Antonio Brown.

A guy that can get open, with his speed, could be a real weapon for the offense.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelsnis View Post
    Perhaps because Kaboly's like 400 lbs himself he thinks everyone else looks small?

Seriously though, it was a no-pads practice. Players look a helluva lot smaller in those jerseys without pads.
    My initial thoughts with the group players on the field was this: Boy they are small.

Yeah, Kaboli could snack on these guys like they were a bag of gummy bears. But, hey, anything negative to stir up attention, alot like negative campaign ads in politics.