Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I am Cautiously Optimstic About The Draft

Rookie

User Info Menu

Why I am Cautiously Optimstic About The Draft

1. Jarvis Jones OLB/UGA

I am ecstatic we got him? Why? Its probably our biggest position of need. Why when Jones wasn't drafted to guaranteed start.

Worilds has one year left on his contract, 1 year left to prove himself... and if he does? He's gone to greener pastures. If he doesn't? He isn't starter material.

Jarvis Jones was likely the most dominant defensive player in college ball last year, it's between him and Jadeveon Clowney... but Jones made big plays in big games, See Missouri 3 TURN OVERS! See florida where he stripped the ball off a WR going in for a TD before he stepped in to win the game.

4.92 40, Watching it I saw 2 things, he didn't run well that was known and he also ran really poorly (form wise) Im no track coach or anything of the sort.... but he ran not even in a straight line

OTHER NOTABLE 40 TIMES.... DEEBO RAN A 4.85, and Terrell Suggs ran a 4.9

Spinal Stenosis? He was misdiagnosed, given clean bill of health, and indicators are clear... he was not on the list to revist the doctors for the NFL

2.) Le'Veon Bell ... Watch him, he was MSU's only weapon... on an online that no player got drafted on (to my knowledge) he had no passing game, and many said he was also their best WR.

I also see some Steven Jackson in this kid, I am not the only one SJ himself agrees.

3.) Markus Wheaton Great Kid, watch his interviews on youtube, very softspoken un-diva like. 4.42 Official 40, he claims he can run a 4.3 would not surprise me, PRODUCTIVE, Polished Route Runner.

Its like a mix of AB and Wallace... with better character.

4.) Shamarko Thomas, looks to be a good kid, look up his story, he was in college raising his 5 or 6 family members after his mom and pop died, plays like a first or second round guy, fell due to concussions (remember Troy P?) AND HEIGHT. But 41 Inch Vertical Jump will work well.

4b.) Landry Jones very productive, however I am not sure.... I woulda preferred Zac Dysert later, in Colbert I trust.... however.

5.) Terry Hawthorne, one of the Top CB prospects in the nation until injuries and a sub par year, has all the physical tools. Let's see what Carnell Lake can do with this kid.

6.) Justin Brown 6'3 (DID WE FINALLY GET BEN SOMETHING HE WANTED) He looks to be a fairly good possession Wide Reciever that fell under the radar after he ran away from Penn State due to the Sandusky scandal, at Penn State he didn't have great WR play. But It looks like this kid got a lot better at the end of this year with Landry trusting him.

6b.) Vince Williams, Buck ILB that fell due to playing only 2 downs, needs to prove he can cover, he hasn't proved he cant, however it was FSU's scheme to put a CB out on 3rd down.

7.) Nick Williams, Developmental DE with solid measurables but was from a small school, maybe he can be a Steve Mclendon esque player.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Correct if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that the reason he didn't work out at the combine was his stenosis. Again, could be wrong...

As for Le'veon, he got drafted ahead of Lacy because of the talent around each of them. Lacy didn't face as much because he ran behind such a talented line. Le'veon, as you said, had a subpar o-line and offense around him.

One more thing: I watched Wheaton, and while I'm good with the pick. He seems more possession than big-play. He didn't bust any big runs. Most of his "highlights" were intermediate receptions. Just judging from the highlights, he doesn't seem to be the home-run hitter type that people want to think (e.g. the next Wallace).

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Correct if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that the reason he didn't work out at the combine was his stenosis. Again, could be wrong...

As for Le'veon, he got drafted ahead of Lacy because of the talent around each of them. Lacy didn't face as much because he ran behind such a talented line. Le'veon, as you said, had a subpar o-line and offense around him.

One more thing: I watched Wheaton, and while I'm good with the pick. He seems more possession than big-play. He didn't bust any big runs. Most of his "highlights" were intermediate receptions. Just judging from the highlights, he doesn't seem to be the home-run hitter type that people want to think (e.g. the next Wallace).
    From my understanding your kinda right.

Jarvis went to the combine for medical (to have his stenosis looked at by doctors, of which there are reports that he got a clean bill of health, again reportedly, there is no way for us to confirm it without looking at his medical)

[url]http://nflsfuture.com/2013/02/12/clean-bill-of-health-for-jarvis-jones/[/url]

Jarvis didn't workout at the combine, because he knew he was gonna run poorly.

I agree about Bell.

Wheaton actually seems a mix of both, he has the speed to go on the outside, but also the route running ability on the inside. Is he the home run hitter Wallace was? On a deeper (not a HUGE bomb but a long pass I'd say he will do well because he is very strong in contested bombs), On a 60 yard in stride deep ball, I don't think he gets the seperation.

I think Wheaton is really similar to AB, but has the threat of a vertical contested deep bomb, albeit not wallace esque total burner. He plays fast in pads, has a contested catch ability, but I think he lacks the top gear wallace had, but I think he has more explosiveness (hence why wallace was a poor runner on reverses etc)

Legend

User Info Menu

The Draft Is Over For The Steelers…Now What?

May 2nd, 2013 by Scott Sinclair

Now that the hype and hyperbole of the 2013 draft is history,the time is now to look onward. Hopefully Todd McShay and Mel Kiper have made nice and Mike Mayock is giving his voice a rest (I say take a whole year off Mike). Here is my take on what the Steelers did last weekend:

First, I think the team had an overall solid draft. While I was hoping they’d grab Michael Mauti at some point, I love the two linebackers they drafted. I don’t think Jarvis Jones will be a starter at the beginning of the season, but I would not be shocked if he isn’t leading the team in sacks by season’s end. And their sixth round pick, Vince Williams of Florida State is a hitting machine. Coupled with fourth round pick DB Shamarko Thomas of Syracuse, Williams will make it very hard for receivers coming across the middle to hold onto the ball and their senses.

Sorry, but I really like Landry Jones coming to the Black and Gold. The kid threw for over 13,000 yards in college, third in history. Along with Bruce Gradkowski, the Steelers backup QB position is in much better hands than in past years. Heck, my five year old daughter is more on target with her throws than Byron Leftwich was last year. He won’t be missed in my opinion. As for Jones, I agree with what ESPNs Trent Dilfer said, you have to go back to Jones’ 2012 campaign to really get a sense of what he brings to the table. Jones does well with a solid TE and good run after the catch WRs which the Steelers have.

I also am not as down on fellow Sooner and Steeler draft pick Justin Brown as some draft experts are. I’ve been a fan of his since his Penn State days and he will add a little to the return game as well in the passing game. He has good hands and will go up and get the ball in traffic. The competition between Brown, David Gilreath and Derek Moye for the 5th WR spot will be fun to watch. If Brown fails to win the job, he will be an immediate addition to the practice squad.

If someone can keep the light on in Terry Hawthorne’s head, he may be a nice pickup as well. But that is a big ‘if’.

I know some we not happy with the selection of RB LeVeon Bell in the 2nd round and while there were other quality backs still on the board, I would also like fans to consider earlier that day the Steelers signed FA RB La’rod Stephens-Howling. Bell is a bruiser who can also hurdle defenders, while Howling adds an element of explosion to the running game. He also gives the club a dynamic presence in the return game. Exactly who will be the odd man out in the backfield (Howling, Bell, Redman, Batch or Dwyer) remains to be seen, but a 1-2-3 of Bell, Howling, and Redman is far better than anything the team fielded last year.

Third rounder Markus Wheaton could be the one pick other than Bell to make the most impact sooner than the rest. He gives the team smarts and toughness along with a big-play, deep-strike ability. And like Howling and Brown, he too can be a factor in the return game.

As I have stated this is a make or break year for Tomlin, Colbert & co. The Ravens and Bengals had equally solid if not better overall drafts than the Steelers did and the Browns are creeping into consideration. After a very pedestrian offseason which has left many of us scratching our heads, the 2013 draft was a decent first step in getting this team back into title contention.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/02/the-draft-is-over-for-the-steelers-now-what/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campai gn=Hot%2BTopics[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

Taking away the "big play" guy may actually help stiffle some of Ben's worst tendencies to force plays down the field and emphasize what he does best with short to mid range passing.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    The Draft Is Over For The Steelers…Now What?

May 2nd, 2013 by Scott Sinclair

Sorry, but I really like Landry Jones coming to the Black and Gold. The kid threw for over 13,000 yards in college, third in history. Along with Bruce Gradkowski, the Steelers backup QB position is in much better hands than in past years. Heck, my five year old daughter is more on target with her throws than Byron Leftwich was last year. He won’t be missed in my opinion. As for Jones, I agree with what ESPNs Trent Dilfer said, you have to go back to Jones’ 2012 campaign to really get a sense of what he brings to the table. Jones does well with a solid TE and good run after the catch WRs which the Steelers have.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/02/the-draft-is-over-for-the-steelers-now-what/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campai gn=Hot%2BTopics[/URL]
    I totally agree with what Dilfer said. Jones' is a perfect fit for the Haley offense. His problems at Oklahoma were when he had to force the ball down the field because they had no running game and the opponents knew it.

Plus everything I read indicates he is a super high character person and strong leader. Already married to an OU basketball star who was just drafted into the WNBA (Whitney Hand). I think we ought to secure the rights to that gene pool right now.

I think we got a steal.
    Last edited by Oviedo; 05-03-2013 at 08:12 AM.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Why not to get excited about any draft class . Lets looksy at last years draft class as an example...

#1--DeCastro --Rumors were in camp he was having a hard time adjusting to the NFL. Soon when the games started it was obvious. Then he gets hurt. When he comes back he just about lost the most important game of the year for us (Bengals)

#2 Adams--Looked like a slow witted bum for about 75% of the year...improved somewhat at the end of the season.

#3 S Spense---Will probably never play football again after being hurt in a pre-season game when he should of been out (4th quarter) Was looking solid until the injury.

#4 Ta'amu--Did nothing special on the field but sure new how to make headlines off of it. Arrested for evading police and whatnot.

#5 C Rainey--After a few nice plays and with some potential to become a nice KR and 3rd down back, Rainey is made to be an example by the Steelers and released after an altercation with his girlfiend.
    #7 Clemons WR---Who knows...probably working at Home Depot or on the practice team.

Others: Paulson--Proabably our Rookie of the Year. Although he didn't do much he was solid backup.
    Beachum--after looking like a complete bum, he stepped it up and has some potential to possibly start in a few years.
    Fredrick--???

So it is nice to be optimistic. But as you can see a lot of players, even the ones who fall in our laps can be disappointment. To be fair of course we need to give a lot of these guys and the guys coming in a few years to adjust.

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    1. Jarvis Jones OLB/UGA

I am ecstatic we got him? Why? Its probably our biggest position of need. Why when Jones wasn't drafted to guaranteed start.

Worilds has one year left on his contract, 1 year left to prove himself... and if he does? He's gone to greener pastures. If he doesn't? He isn't starter material.

Jarvis Jones was likely the most dominant defensive player in college ball last year, it's between him and Jadeveon Clowney... but Jones made big plays in big games, See Missouri 3 TURN OVERS! See florida where he stripped the ball off a WR going in for a TD before he stepped in to win the game.

4.92 40, Watching it I saw 2 things, he didn't run well that was known and he also ran really poorly (form wise) Im no track coach or anything of the sort.... but he ran not even in a straight line

OTHER NOTABLE 40 TIMES.... DEEBO RAN A 4.85, and Terrell Suggs ran a 4.9

Spinal Stenosis? He was misdiagnosed, given clean bill of health, and indicators are clear... he was not on the list to revist the doctors for the NFL

2.) Le'Veon Bell ... Watch him, he was MSU's only weapon... on an online that no player got drafted on (to my knowledge) he had no passing game, and many said he was also their best WR.

I also see some Steven Jackson in this kid, I am not the only one SJ himself agrees.

3.) Markus Wheaton Great Kid, watch his interviews on youtube, very softspoken un-diva like. 4.42 Official 40, he claims he can run a 4.3 would not surprise me, PRODUCTIVE, Polished Route Runner.

Its like a mix of AB and Wallace... with better character.

4.) Shamarko Thomas, looks to be a good kid, look up his story, he was in college raising his 5 or 6 family members after his mom and pop died, plays like a first or second round guy, fell due to concussions (remember Troy P?) AND HEIGHT. But 41 Inch Vertical Jump will work well.

4b.) Landry Jones very productive, however I am not sure.... I woulda preferred Zac Dysert later, in Colbert I trust.... however.

5.) Terry Hawthorne, one of the Top CB prospects in the nation until injuries and a sub par year, has all the physical tools. Let's see what Carnell Lake can do with this kid.

6.) Justin Brown 6'3 (DID WE FINALLY GET BEN SOMETHING HE WANTED) He looks to be a fairly good possession Wide Reciever that fell under the radar after he ran away from Penn State due to the Sandusky scandal, at Penn State he didn't have great WR play. But It looks like this kid got a lot better at the end of this year with Landry trusting him.

6b.) Vince Williams, Buck ILB that fell due to playing only 2 downs, needs to prove he can cover, he hasn't proved he cant, however it was FSU's scheme to put a CB out on 3rd down.

7.) Nick Williams, Developmental DE with solid measurables but was from a small school, maybe he can be a Steve Mclendon esque player.
    great post and i agree i think this draft class is going to help make a difference

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    Why not to get excited about any draft class . Lets looksy at last years draft class as an example...

#1--DeCastro --Rumors were in camp he was having a hard time adjusting to the NFL. Soon when the games started it was obvious. Then he gets hurt. When he comes back he just about lost the most important game of the year for us (Bengals)

#2 Adams--Looked like a slow witted bum for about 75% of the year...improved somewhat at the end of the season.

#3 S Spense---Will probably never play football again after being hurt in a pre-season game when he should of been out (4th quarter) Was looking solid until the injury.

#4 Ta'amu--Did nothing special on the field but sure new how to make headlines off of it. Arrested for evading police and whatnot.

#5 C Rainey--After a few nice plays and with some potential to become a nice KR and 3rd down back, Rainey is made to be an example by the Steelers and released after an altercation with his girlfiend.
    #7 Clemons WR---Who knows...probably working at Home Depot or on the practice team.

Others: Paulson--Proabably our Rookie of the Year. Although he didn't do much he was solid backup.
    Beachum--after looking like a complete bum, he stepped it up and has some potential to possibly start in a few years.
    Fredrick--???

So it is nice to be optimistic. But as you can see a lot of players, even the ones who fall in our laps can be disappointment. To be fair of course we need to give a lot of these guys and the guys coming in a few years to adjust.
    wow dude, I was planning on having a great day today until I saw this!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    Why not to get excited about any draft class . Lets looksy at last years draft class as an example... #1--DeCastro --Rumors were in camp he was having a hard time adjusting to the NFL. Soon when the games started it was obvious. Then he gets hurt. When he comes back he just about lost the most important game of the year for us (Bengals) #2 Adams--Looked like a slow witted bum for about 75% of the year...improved somewhat at the end of the season. #3 S Spense---Will probably never play football again after being hurt in a pre-season game when he should of been out (4th quarter) Was looking solid until the injury. #4 Ta'amu--Did nothing special on the field but sure new how to make headlines off of it. Arrested for evading police and whatnot. #5 C Rainey--After a few nice plays and with some potential to become a nice KR and 3rd down back, Rainey is made to be an example by the Steelers and released after an altercation with his girlfiend. #7 Clemons WR---Who knows...probably working at Home Depot or on the practice team. Others: Paulson--Proabably our Rookie of the Year. Although he didn't do much he was solid backup. Beachum--after looking like a complete bum, he stepped it up and has some potential to possibly start in a few years. Fredrick--??? So it is nice to be optimistic. But as you can see a lot of players, even the ones who fall in our laps can be disappointment. To be fair of course we need to give a lot of these guys and the guys coming in a few years to adjust.
    I'm thinking you'll see a DeCastro who is plenty ready to play come the season opener. Adams showed promise, too. Still pulling for Spence to recover, but I know that looks awfully iffy at this point. Paulson and Beachum were nice value for where they were picked. As for Rainey and Ta-amu...that's why they need to make character a big factor in deciding who to draft. I think they tried to do that this year.