Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I am Cautiously Optimstic About The Draft

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Rookie

User Info Menu

Why I am Cautiously Optimstic About The Draft

1. Jarvis Jones OLB/UGA

I am ecstatic we got him? Why? Its probably our biggest position of need. Why when Jones wasn't drafted to guaranteed start.

Worilds has one year left on his contract, 1 year left to prove himself... and if he does? He's gone to greener pastures. If he doesn't? He isn't starter material.

Jarvis Jones was likely the most dominant defensive player in college ball last year, it's between him and Jadeveon Clowney... but Jones made big plays in big games, See Missouri 3 TURN OVERS! See florida where he stripped the ball off a WR going in for a TD before he stepped in to win the game.

4.92 40, Watching it I saw 2 things, he didn't run well that was known and he also ran really poorly (form wise) Im no track coach or anything of the sort.... but he ran not even in a straight line

OTHER NOTABLE 40 TIMES.... DEEBO RAN A 4.85, and Terrell Suggs ran a 4.9

Spinal Stenosis? He was misdiagnosed, given clean bill of health, and indicators are clear... he was not on the list to revist the doctors for the NFL

2.) Le'Veon Bell ... Watch him, he was MSU's only weapon... on an online that no player got drafted on (to my knowledge) he had no passing game, and many said he was also their best WR.

I also see some Steven Jackson in this kid, I am not the only one SJ himself agrees.

3.) Markus Wheaton Great Kid, watch his interviews on youtube, very softspoken un-diva like. 4.42 Official 40, he claims he can run a 4.3 would not surprise me, PRODUCTIVE, Polished Route Runner.

Its like a mix of AB and Wallace... with better character.

4.) Shamarko Thomas, looks to be a good kid, look up his story, he was in college raising his 5 or 6 family members after his mom and pop died, plays like a first or second round guy, fell due to concussions (remember Troy P?) AND HEIGHT. But 41 Inch Vertical Jump will work well.

4b.) Landry Jones very productive, however I am not sure.... I woulda preferred Zac Dysert later, in Colbert I trust.... however.

5.) Terry Hawthorne, one of the Top CB prospects in the nation until injuries and a sub par year, has all the physical tools. Let's see what Carnell Lake can do with this kid.

6.) Justin Brown 6'3 (DID WE FINALLY GET BEN SOMETHING HE WANTED) He looks to be a fairly good possession Wide Reciever that fell under the radar after he ran away from Penn State due to the Sandusky scandal, at Penn State he didn't have great WR play. But It looks like this kid got a lot better at the end of this year with Landry trusting him.

6b.) Vince Williams, Buck ILB that fell due to playing only 2 downs, needs to prove he can cover, he hasn't proved he cant, however it was FSU's scheme to put a CB out on 3rd down.

7.) Nick Williams, Developmental DE with solid measurables but was from a small school, maybe he can be a Steve Mclendon esque player.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Correct if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that the reason he didn't work out at the combine was his stenosis. Again, could be wrong...

As for Le'veon, he got drafted ahead of Lacy because of the talent around each of them. Lacy didn't face as much because he ran behind such a talented line. Le'veon, as you said, had a subpar o-line and offense around him.

One more thing: I watched Wheaton, and while I'm good with the pick. He seems more possession than big-play. He didn't bust any big runs. Most of his "highlights" were intermediate receptions. Just judging from the highlights, he doesn't seem to be the home-run hitter type that people want to think (e.g. the next Wallace).

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post
    Correct if I'm wrong, but I thought I heard that the reason he didn't work out at the combine was his stenosis. Again, could be wrong...

As for Le'veon, he got drafted ahead of Lacy because of the talent around each of them. Lacy didn't face as much because he ran behind such a talented line. Le'veon, as you said, had a subpar o-line and offense around him.

One more thing: I watched Wheaton, and while I'm good with the pick. He seems more possession than big-play. He didn't bust any big runs. Most of his "highlights" were intermediate receptions. Just judging from the highlights, he doesn't seem to be the home-run hitter type that people want to think (e.g. the next Wallace).
    From my understanding your kinda right.

Jarvis went to the combine for medical (to have his stenosis looked at by doctors, of which there are reports that he got a clean bill of health, again reportedly, there is no way for us to confirm it without looking at his medical)

[url]http://nflsfuture.com/2013/02/12/clean-bill-of-health-for-jarvis-jones/[/url]

Jarvis didn't workout at the combine, because he knew he was gonna run poorly.

I agree about Bell.

Wheaton actually seems a mix of both, he has the speed to go on the outside, but also the route running ability on the inside. Is he the home run hitter Wallace was? On a deeper (not a HUGE bomb but a long pass I'd say he will do well because he is very strong in contested bombs), On a 60 yard in stride deep ball, I don't think he gets the seperation.

I think Wheaton is really similar to AB, but has the threat of a vertical contested deep bomb, albeit not wallace esque total burner. He plays fast in pads, has a contested catch ability, but I think he lacks the top gear wallace had, but I think he has more explosiveness (hence why wallace was a poor runner on reverses etc)

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post
    I think Wheaton is really similar to AB, but has the threat of a vertical contested deep bomb, albeit not wallace esque total burner.
    there may only be 2 of those in the entire league... Torrey Smith is the only guy that I've seen do what Wallace does on the deep ball... you throw it, he's even and suddenly, there's a 2 yard gap between him and the DB... that extra gear is AMAZING. Randy Moss used to have it. it's just simply faster than anyone else on the field - Ben was the only one that figured, "it's almost impossible to overthrow him". I wish Batch and Leftwich had in their games last year - they woulda made the playoffs...

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shoe View Post

Taking away the "big play" guy may actually help stiffle some of Ben's worst tendencies to force plays down the field and emphasize what he does best with short to mid range passing.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

Why not to get excited about any draft class . Lets looksy at last years draft class as an example...

#1--DeCastro --Rumors were in camp he was having a hard time adjusting to the NFL. Soon when the games started it was obvious. Then he gets hurt. When he comes back he just about lost the most important game of the year for us (Bengals)

#2 Adams--Looked like a slow witted bum for about 75% of the year...improved somewhat at the end of the season.

#3 S Spense---Will probably never play football again after being hurt in a pre-season game when he should of been out (4th quarter) Was looking solid until the injury.

#4 Ta'amu--Did nothing special on the field but sure new how to make headlines off of it. Arrested for evading police and whatnot.

#5 C Rainey--After a few nice plays and with some potential to become a nice KR and 3rd down back, Rainey is made to be an example by the Steelers and released after an altercation with his girlfiend.
    #7 Clemons WR---Who knows...probably working at Home Depot or on the practice team.

Others: Paulson--Proabably our Rookie of the Year. Although he didn't do much he was solid backup.
    Beachum--after looking like a complete bum, he stepped it up and has some potential to possibly start in a few years.
    Fredrick--???

So it is nice to be optimistic. But as you can see a lot of players, even the ones who fall in our laps can be disappointment. To be fair of course we need to give a lot of these guys and the guys coming in a few years to adjust.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    Why not to get excited about any draft class . Lets looksy at last years draft class as an example...

#1--DeCastro --Rumors were in camp he was having a hard time adjusting to the NFL. Soon when the games started it was obvious. Then he gets hurt. When he comes back he just about lost the most important game of the year for us (Bengals)

#2 Adams--Looked like a slow witted bum for about 75% of the year...improved somewhat at the end of the season.

#3 S Spense---Will probably never play football again after being hurt in a pre-season game when he should of been out (4th quarter) Was looking solid until the injury.

#4 Ta'amu--Did nothing special on the field but sure new how to make headlines off of it. Arrested for evading police and whatnot.

#5 C Rainey--After a few nice plays and with some potential to become a nice KR and 3rd down back, Rainey is made to be an example by the Steelers and released after an altercation with his girlfiend.
    #7 Clemons WR---Who knows...probably working at Home Depot or on the practice team.

Others: Paulson--Proabably our Rookie of the Year. Although he didn't do much he was solid backup.
    Beachum--after looking like a complete bum, he stepped it up and has some potential to possibly start in a few years.
    Fredrick--???

So it is nice to be optimistic. But as you can see a lot of players, even the ones who fall in our laps can be disappointment. To be fair of course we need to give a lot of these guys and the guys coming in a few years to adjust.
    wow dude, I was planning on having a great day today until I saw this!!
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    wow dude, I was planning on having a great day today until I saw this!!
    Still have a Great Day...We could of just drafted 1 future Hall of Famer (J Jones) an All Pro RB (Bell) 1-2 solid starters and a key backup. You never know...that is what is so great with the draft!

Legend

User Info Menu

Why not to get excited about any draft class . Lets looksy at last years draft class as an example... #1--DeCastro --Rumors were in camp he was having a hard time adjusting to the NFL. Soon when the games started it was obvious. Then he gets hurt. When he comes back he just about lost the most important game of the year for us (Bengals) #2 Adams--Looked like a slow witted bum for about 75% of the year...improved somewhat at the end of the season. #3 S Spense---Will probably never play football again after being hurt in a pre-season game when he should of been out (4th quarter) Was looking solid until the injury. #4 Ta'amu--Did nothing special on the field but sure new how to make headlines off of it. Arrested for evading police and whatnot. #5 C Rainey--After a few nice plays and with some potential to become a nice KR and 3rd down back, Rainey is made to be an example by the Steelers and released after an altercation with his girlfiend. #7 Clemons WR---Who knows...probably working at Home Depot or on the practice team. Others: Paulson--Proabably our Rookie of the Year. Although he didn't do much he was solid backup. Beachum--after looking like a complete bum, he stepped it up and has some potential to possibly start in a few years. Fredrick--??? So it is nice to be optimistic. But as you can see a lot of players, even the ones who fall in our laps can be disappointment. To be fair of course we need to give a lot of these guys and the guys coming in a few years to adjust.
    I'm thinking you'll see a DeCastro who is plenty ready to play come the season opener. Adams showed promise, too. Still pulling for Spence to recover, but I know that looks awfully iffy at this point. Paulson and Beachum were nice value for where they were picked. As for Rainey and Ta-amu...that's why they need to make character a big factor in deciding who to draft. I think they tried to do that this year.

Legend

User Info Menu

shoulda been out?