Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Steelers Drafted Bell To Be Their Starter

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerOfDeVille View Post
    Jarvis, day 1, would be a suprise... Jarvis by week 8 - not a surprise.
    Worilds may surprise us.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Worilds may surprise us.
    didn't say EXPECTED... just not surprised...
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Worilds may surprise us.

How about Gilbert

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supersteeler View Post
    How about Gilbert
    I'll be surprised if Gilbert doesn't injure any of his teammates this year...
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr.me View Post
    he should start,hes already the best back on the field!!!!!
    I wouldn't agree with this if DWYER got himself in shape to carry the ball 20plus times a game. not tap out after running 10 yards
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Yeah. I wonder how much of the team he'll decimate by day 1 of the season. A regular one-man wrecking crew.

We shoulda shipped him to the Ravens along with a round 3 draft as payment. He'd ensure us afcn titles for the rest of his career, given the worthlessness of Ohio teams.
    Last edited by bostonsteeler; 05-02-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Legend

User Info Menu

Le’Veon Bell a ‘three down back,’ according to Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley

By Neal Coolong on May 1 2013

It's been a while since the Steelers had a running back who could run, catch and pass protect well enough to be on the field for first, second and third downs.

The concept itself is newish, in the sense that roster expansion allowed teams to bring in specialty running backs for passing situations. That novelty has worn off, and because of that, the once-gimmicky "third down back" has turned more into a limited player who takes up a roster spot.

With the "three down back," that extra roster spot can be used elsewhere, instead of on that supposed limited player.

Willie Parker was thought to be a three-down back, but was often spelled by Gary Russell and Mewelde Moore. Rashard Mendenhall was supposed to fill that need, but Moore took him out in situations as did Isaac Redman. Redman was even spelled by Moore, until Moore was released, and the Steelers rotated running backs as if their roles changed possession to possession.

Now, offensive coordinator Todd Haley feels second round pick Le'Veon Bell - a 230-pound back taken in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft - can stay on the field for three downs.

He very well could. What hasn't been publicized much about Bell is his best strength could be his pass blocking. A player's willingness as well as his ability to block the edge or free rushers up the middle is critical for playing on third downs - passing is often a priority on third downs. The combination of Bell both catching the ball and blocking so the quarterback can deliver a clean throw to another receiver is seen now as outstanding enough to think he could be on the field in any situation.

That kind of flexibility will help a team that now has a glut of running backs - Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, LaRod Stephens-Howling and Baron Batch, as well as fullback Will Johnson.

Can Bell do what his predecessors failed to do? The start of the first official organized team activities as well as this weekend's rookie minicamp will go a little bit toward answering that question.

[URL]http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2013/5/1/4289838/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers-three-down-back-todd-haley-quotes[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Who Becomes The Featured Back For The Steelers In 2013?

May 2nd, 2013 by Craig Gottschalk

Le’Veon Bell has yet to carry the football for the Pittsburgh Steelers, yet there is a lot of buzz around the young running back and his ability (or potentially lack thereof) to be the featured back. With the addition of Bell, there are four backs on the roster – Jonathan Dwyer, Isaac Redman, Baron Batch and Bell. And with Bell’s addition, the thought of getting another back through free agency (like Amahd Bradshaw) is pretty much over. It’s obvious that there will be quite the competition at running back, but who will be the featured back not only in Week 1 but for the entirety of the season?

Speed

None of these backs are exceptionally fast like previous Steeler backs, such as Willie Parker or even Mendenhall. All of these backs are pretty much listed as ‘fat backs’ – a little extra junk in the trunk or consisting of a frame built for power over speed. But if we are to look at all four backs and consider the ability to pull away from pursuing defenders, then Dwyer has the edge. His 40 clocked in at 4.48 s. With all of these guys still particularly young, we can assume that their times have not changed over the last four years as our comparator. Bell came in at 4.6 and is slower than the others.

Advantage: Dwyer

Power

The days of Jerome Bettis are good and gone. Unfortunately for every RB post the Bettis-era, they have had to come under that scrutiny and comparison of being as powerful a back as Bettis. None have met that challenge appointed by Steeler Nation, so it’s hard not to say that most backs since Bettis have been a disappointment in that department. So how do these four rank on our power meter? My measuring stick is mainly the ability to break tackles and getting those precious yards after first contact. Batch is weakest in this department. He did not rack up many yards after contact and always seemed to go down in a dead stop heap when hit by defensemen. Redman and Dwyer, at least in size, appear that they would be evenly matched. But, power and yards after contact were his brightest spots last season. Dwyer constantly fought for every single inch on the field. At times he would drag a defender or two with him. Or, he would bowl one linebacker and then another and then take out a safety for extra measure before getting dragged down from behind by pursuing linemen. Quite frankly it gave a spark to the run game and helped him get the starting role after Redman struggled right out of the gate. We have yet to see how Bell will perform in the NFL in the Power category. He is taller than your average back which could be a problem in lowering that shoulder into opposing defenders as well as being and easier target to hit with that taller frame. His 230lbs. should help him muscle his way, but he’s going to have to be good at technique to overtake would be tacklers

Advantage: Dwyer

Footwork

If Mendenhall were still with the team, he certainly would be at the bottom of this category. His twinkle toe habit was costly and usually hurt momentum of any ground game being established. North/South is important, but the East/West is key, especially in a zone blocking scheme – once blocks are set the back needs to recognize the hole quickly and make the right cut. Redman and Dwyer are powerful backs, but also possess the ability to cut well. However, Redman seemed to find ways to sneak through a small hole more often than the others last season. Bell is again criticized for his larger frame and is noted as struggling with his vision to recognize a lineman starting a push for a hole in the line. He often would run up behind his lead blocker instead of making a cut to get around and break it down field.

Advantage: Redman

Hands

Was there a Steeler running back that didn’t struggle with fumbles at any point last season? Let’s put securing the rock off to the side for now and talk about contributions to the passing game. Not since Mewelde Moore has the Steelers had any back that was consistently good at catching the football. But let’s look at some stats from last season. Redman and Dwyer were almost neck and neck with catches. The biggest difference is their yards per catch. Redman more than doubled Dwyer’s total of yards, so Redman has an advantage of what happens when he does catch the football. Both have good hands, but Redman appears to be the better receiver. Bell in 2011-2012 had 67 catches, 434 yards, and 1 touchdown – reliable hands and often sought after as a receiving weapon.

Advantage: Push Bell

Blocking

I’d like to hear opinions from most running backs, but my suspicion is that they don’t like to block much for the passing game. It’s a necessary evil when the play action is utilized, and for the Steelers, that’s often enough that this attribute should matter. Surprisingly, Batch is the better of this group. His smaller stature allows him to get low and he is more than just a guy who can master the cut block. It’s hard to watch enough tape to really gauge vision vs. execution vs. result – but it seemed that Redman was put into more play actions than the rest of the backs, which puts the other at a disadvantage for true comparisons. I’m going to stick with Batch on this one.

Advantage: Batch

As you can see just about each back contributes in some fashion to the offense in positive ways. Though some might see this as a bit of misfortune, I see it as a great opportunity for the offense and for the running back core to have the competition happen between four running backs. I hope they don’t try and release or trade a player before camp starts. Let it all play out and make cuts at the end of the summer. But for now I’m excited to see what happens in camp. I hope that at least one guy stands out as the absolute featured back, so that we can lose this whole three man carrousel during a game.

[URL]http://nicepickcowher.com/2013/05/02/who-becomes-the-featured-back-for-the-steelers-in-2013/2/[/URL]

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Rookie

User Info Menu

The article above has wrong numbers in it's analysis.

Dwyer ran 4.4 40 in high school, he bulked up and had a combine time of 4.6

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Come on Hawaii. Give the kid a break. He had a sophomore slump after a very solid rookie year at RT. He will be fine. As I always sadi about him he will be more max Starks during his career and never be an All Pro but that ain't too bad.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"