Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comp Picks in 2014 Draft? What could we get?

Legend

User Info Menu

Comp Picks in 2014 Draft? What could we get?

Many of you understand this far better than I do, But given the free agents we had signed away what might we see in a return of Comp Picks? On sthe surface it sems like we lost alot and should get at least 3 Comp picks back for Wallace, Lewis, Mendy, Mundy, Allen, etc.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Steelers should get 3rd(Wallace), 4th or 5th (K-Lew) and a 7th Rd (Mendy) pick IMO.
    Steelers Draft 2015
    Rd 1: Devante Parker - WR/ Kevin Johnson - CB
    Rd 2: Danielle Hunter -OLB
    Rd 3: Steven Nelson - CB
    Rd 4: Derron Smith - S
    Rd 5: Henry Anderson - DE
    Rd 6: Wes Saxton - TE
    Rd 7: Deon Simon - DT

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Steelers should get 3rd(Wallace), 4th or 5th (K-Lew) and a 7th Rd (Mendy) pick IMO.
    What determines it? How much they sign for? Where they were drafted? The season they have with the new team, e.g. starters versus back ups, games played?
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What determines it? How much they sign for? Where they were drafted? The season they have with the new team, e.g. starters versus back ups, games played?
    yes...

There are several factors that go in (that are rumored to include: Number of FA's gained vs lost, Salary, perfomance, playing time).

grotonsteel is correct, IMO. Assuming Wallace has a pro-bowl type season, expect a 3rd. I'm guessing it could possibly be a 4th, if he stinks. Lewis should be 4-5 round... We've discussed Mendy but, i wonder if say Stephens-Howling would cancel that out... likely depends on performance.
    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

DeVille's Late-March Mock (In Progress)
    1.20 - Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon
    2.51 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.84 -
    "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    3.98 - "WR/DL/CB" (tbd)
    4.117 - Jordan Travis, QB, FSU
    6.178 -Travis Glover, OT, Ga State
    6.195 - Isaac Guerendo, RB, Louisville

Legend

User Info Menu

The NFL uses an undisclosed formula that I believe is primarily based on salary and playing time. Released players don't count, so no comp pick for Harrison. I believe that players signed for the NFL minimum also do not count. As we found out with Faneca, no comp pick for a player over 10 years.

I think that the Steelers are likely to get a 3rd for Wallace, 4-5 for Lewis, and a 5-7 for Mendenhall (Gay brought a 6th and his deal was not large). I am hopeful that Will Allen will cancel out the signing of Gradkowski. I believe that Mundy does not count because he signed a minimum deal.

There was a blogger who went by AdamJT13 who predicted the picks and was usually pretty close. I can't get his site to open and he's stopped doing the predictions, but he had a good explanation.

Legend

User Info Menu

It's pretty much all based on the salary they get as UFAs. Guys you lose - Guys you bring in before a certain point. Salary differential.

There used to be a guy on-line who would predict them very accurately every year. I think his name was adamJY13.

Not sure he does it anymore, but I think he talks about his process here:

[URL]http://adamjt13.blogspot.ca/2010/03/projecting-2010-compensatory-nfl-draft.html[/URL]

Legend

User Info Menu

What if Mendy is a Pro Bowler in AZ and gets 300 carries? Could we end up with a 3 and 2 4's? 2 3's and a 4? a 3, 4, 5? wonder what the best and worst case scenario is?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    What if Mendy is a Pro Bowler in AZ and gets 300 carries? Could we end up with a 3 and 2 4's? 2 3's and a 4? a 3, 4, 5? wonder what the best and worst case scenario is?
    I highly doubt any of that wishful thinking is even remotely possible. Most likely it will be a 3rd, 5th, and a 7th. Best case would be a 3rd, 4th, and 6th, but really doubt even that much. No need to get hopes up unncessarily. Comp picks aren't going to be the savior of our 2014 draft. The pick at the end of round 3 that we get for Wallace will replace the 3rd round pick we sent to Cleveland in order to take Shamarko Thomas. After that, it's likely a couple of minor day 3 selections.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I highly doubt any of that wishful thinking is even remotely possible. Most likely it will be a 3rd, 5th, and a 7th. Best case would be a 3rd, 4th, and 6th, but really doubt even that much. No need to get hopes up unncessarily. Comp picks aren't going to be the savior of our 2014 draft. The pick at the end of round 3 that we get for Wallace will replace the 3rd round pick we sent to Cleveland in order to take Shamarko Thomas. After that, it's likely a couple of minor day 3 selections.
    Just curious cause the formula is secret and I know it a combo of contract/performance. I was wondering if anyone got a high pick based on a guy having a big season even though he had a small contract?

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Just curious cause the formula is secret and I know it a combo of contract/performance. I was wondering if anyone got a high pick based on a guy having a big season even though he had a small contract?
    Not as far as I can remember. It would appear to me that the contract signed pretty much determines at the end of which round you select. Perhaps performance comes into play in terms of a tie breaker for multiple teams receiving comp picks at the end of a round.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.