Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign P Brian Moorman

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I live in Western NY and Brian Moorman was a fan favorite here in Buffalo over the year. He was cut by Buffalo last year b/c he couldn't position his punts inside the 20. He's got a leg but directional punting is NOT his strength.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Yeah, ouch.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    I disagree, the Steelers were constantly giving up field position yards due to the lack of having a punter that could switch the field. I guess I just place a little more importance on the guy that can put the defense in a positive situation with a good punt, or ensure that a dangerous punt returner doesn't really get a chance to change the game or bail out the offense when a drive stalls. All things that our punter didn't do last year consistently enough and over the course of the year it cost the Steelers games, IMO.

I don't know if one of the college punters would be better or worse, but, why not bring one in to compete. Wasn't one of the goals to get younger?

Pappy
    Pappy, if you have an Andy Lee, a Lechler or a Sam Koch, those few guys are absolutely weapons that can flip the field. I just don't think that there are many punters out there who can really consistently flip field position, and most of the rest are more or less the same.

So if Moorman can beat out Butler this year, give me Moorman, and then look for another young leg next year.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Wow...Hard on Butler. The Nation wants Raider caliber kickers as a rookie? Only camp leg. Need two punters. Actually a good move. The loser is the back-up plan from the street in case of injury. I would rather have Butler. His arrow is pointing up because of his age & punters usually get better through their career. Butler's numbers last year are far better than Moorman's rookie year.

Butler: 77 Punts / 43.8 Avg / 37.8 Net / 26 Inside 20 / 6 TB / 20 FC
    Moorman: 56 Punts / 44.6 Avg / 38.9 Net / 22 Inside 20 / 3 TB / 11 FC

2001 Rookie
    Moorman: 80 Punts / 40.8 Avg / 33.8 Net / 16 Inside 20 / 7 TB / 9 FC

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Wow...Hard on Butler. The Nation wants Raider caliber kickers as a rookie? Only camp leg. Need two punters. Actually a good move. The loser is the back-up plan from the street in case of injury. I would rather have Butler. His arrow is pointing up because of his age & punters usually get better through their career. Butler's numbers last year are far better than Moorman's rookie year.

Butler: 77 Punts / 43.8 Avg / 37.8 Net / 26 Inside 20 / 6 TB / 20 FC
    Moorman: 56 Punts / 44.6 Avg / 38.9 Net / 22 Inside 20 / 3 TB / 11 FC

2001 Rookie
    Moorman: 80 Punts / 40.8 Avg / 33.8 Net / 16 Inside 20 / 7 TB / 9 FC
    Got any stats on Butler's non existent hang time? Or how often he coffin corner kicks the ball out of bounds when we're backed up on our end of the field? Or how often he kicks the ball into the endzone when punting from the opponent's side of the field?

Butler drives me nuts. I hope you're right about trajectory because I don't want to have to deal with Butler as he was last season for any longer.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Got any stats on Butler's non existent hang time? Or how often he coffin corner kicks the ball out of bounds when we're backed up on our end of the field? Or how often he kicks the ball into the endzone when punting from the opponent's side of the field?

Butler drives me nuts. I hope you're right about trajectory because I don't want to have to deal with Butler as he was last season for any longer.
    Butler: 77 Punts / 43.8 Avg / 37.8 Net / 26 Inside 20 / 6 TB / 20 FC / Lg 79 / OOB 9 / Dn 12 / Ret 30 / Ret% 39%
    Moorman: 56 Punts / 44.6 Avg / 38.9 Net / 22 Inside 20 / 3 TB / 11 FC / Lg 64 / OOB 11 / Dn 7 / Ret 24 / Ret% 43%

2001 Rookie
    Moorman: 80 Punts / 40.8 Avg / 33.8 Net / 16 Inside 20 / 7 TB / 9 FC / Lg 66 / OOB 12 / Dn 12 / Ret 40 / Ret% 50%

I added additional stats of long, out of bounds, downed, returned, & returned %.

Fair catches can be a reflection of hangtime. They don't have hangtime stats. Again, he was a rookie and kickers get better. Moorman wasn't much better if at all in 2012 and not better in comparison as a rookie. Butler's hang time was fine as a rookie but it will improve. He needs better placement which will get better with reps. For comparison, below is Andy Lee's rookie stats.

2004 Rookie
    Lee: 96 Punts / 41.6 Avg / 35.3 Net / 25 Inside 20 / 8 TB / 17 FC / Lg 81 / OOB 6 / Dn 14 / Ret 51 / Ret% 53%

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Butler: 77 Punts / 43.8 Avg / 37.8 Net / 26 Inside 20 / 6 TB / 20 FC / Lg 79 / OOB 9 / Dn 12 / Ret 30 / Ret% 39%
    Moorman: 56 Punts / 44.6 Avg / 38.9 Net / 22 Inside 20 / 3 TB / 11 FC / Lg 64 / OOB 11 / Dn 7 / Ret 24 / Ret% 43%

2001 Rookie
    Moorman: 80 Punts / 40.8 Avg / 33.8 Net / 16 Inside 20 / 7 TB / 9 FC / Lg 66 / OOB 12 / Dn 12 / Ret 40 / Ret% 50%

I added additional stats of long, out of bounds, downed, returned, & returned %.

Fair catches can be a reflection of hangtime. They don't have hangtime stats. Again, he was a rookie and kickers get better. Moorman wasn't much better if at all in 2012 and not better in comparison as a rookie. Butler's hang time was fine as a rookie but it will improve. He needs better placement which will get better with reps. For comparison, below is Andy Lee's rookie stats.

2004 Rookie
    Lee: 96 Punts / 41.6 Avg / 35.3 Net / 25 Inside 20 / 8 TB / 17 FC / Lg 81 / OOB 6 / Dn 14 / Ret 51 / Ret% 53%
    The stats don't look so bad. But when I watch him punt situationally, he drives me nuts. When he has a chance to change field position at a critical juncture of the game, he kicks the ball out of bounds and gives the other team great field position. And sometimes when we're around the opponents 40, it's pointless to punt, we should go for it because I know he's most likely kicking it into the end zone.

But I like what you've laid out and hope he gets better. He just drives me mad in the course of most games.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The Steelers went with the youth approach last year, and as Butler showed, younger is not always better. I know that the Eagles signed Wing, the punter from LSU, as a high priority FA with a decent bonus. I'm fine with competition between the rookie and the vet.

Even if Moorman only sticks for a year, he's a punter. You don't need a long term solution. You either have one of the few elite guys or one of many essentially interchangeable options.
    Wing was arrested for simple battery in the summer of 2011, and then was suspended from this season's bowl game for an undisclosed violation of team rules. The last thing we need is a jagoff punter.
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    The stats don't look so bad. But when I watch him punt situationally, he drives me nuts. When he has a chance to change field position at a critical juncture of the game, he kicks the ball out of bounds and gives the other team great field position. And sometimes when we're around the opponents 40, it's pointless to punt, we should go for it because I know he's most likely kicking it into the end zone.

But I like what you've laid out and hope he gets better. He just drives me mad in the course of most games.
    I know exactly what you are saying. I hope it was just growing pains as a rookie. Hopefully we could see improvement in those areas and feel better about the direction. I'm sure if he regresses the Steelers will waste no time staying with Moorman.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    The last thing we need is a jagoff punter.
    I agree, we have already had the jagoff kicker...

Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha