Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had told me that an ex-Steeler would tweet something stupid re: current events

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    At the end of the day, why would God create a homosexual if he abhors them?
    Why would God create people who put themselves first if he wants to be the object of worship?

Why would God create kleptomaniac's if he hates stealing?

Why would God create any sociopath if he hates murder?

This is a fallen world, full of all kinds of evil. Yes, we all have to deal with our own sins before God. This is a football forum and I'm sure you aren't looking for biblical exegesis from me, so I won't go anymore into it.

Legend

User Info Menu

Just to lighten the topic a bit, wouldn't it be fitting if the first openly gay player in the NFL was a TE?

Legend

User Info Menu

I would invite y'all to read the New Testament. Yes, Jesus taught that we should be forgiving. But He never taught that we should be tolerant of sin. He often spoke against sin. In John 2, we read that He went into the Temple and drove out those who were sinning there. In the Gospels, we see many times when He rebuked people about their wrongs. He said, John 7:7, "The world...hates Me, because I testify of it that its works are evil." Yes, He said, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." But in the same story, He told the woman caught in adultery to "Go and sin no more" (John 8:11).

Everyone wants to quote "Judge not, lest you be judged," to try to tell us that we ought never say that anything is wrong, or that anyone's actions are wrong. But to interpret that statement in that way is to completely divorce it from the context of the rest of Scriptures, which teach over and over again that certain things, and certain behaviors, are wrong. If you read everything that Jesus said, it's pretty clear...He was not saying that we are never to judge anything as wrong. He was not saying that we are never to judge another person's actions as wrong. We are to help "take the speck" out of our brother's eye (Matthew 7). It's just that, before you do that, you need to be sure you've taken "the plank out of your own eye." In other words, don't get on your neighbor about the mess in his yard, unless you've first cleaned up the mess in your own yard.

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." That doesn't prohibit me from pointing out that something is wrong, but I have no business condemning the one who committed the sin. The Westboro Baptist people judge others with a condemning judgment. They miss the truth of the Bible that God hates the sin, but loves the sinner.

I would encourage you to read Romans 1:18-32, which says that homosexual behavior is the result of God’s judgment on people who reject Him—He “gives them over,” it says, to a “debased mind.” However, according to that passage, homosexual behavior is not the only sinful product of a debased mind. It also mentions sexual immorality, covetousness, maliciousness, envy, deceit, sinful pride, disobedience to parents, and being untrustworthy, unmerciful and unforgiving. Likewise, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 points out the sinfulness of homosexual behavior—but also of fornication (sex outside of marriage), idolatry, adultery, stealing, coveting, and drunkenness. It’s easy to isolate and condemn others who do the sins that I don’t do…but the truth is, there are plenty of sins that I struggle with. Rather than condemning others, or trying to justify, excuse, or accept any sin? I need to take for myself, and then share with others, the solution God has provided. God loves all sinners—no matter what we’ve done—and wants us all to come into a personal relationship with Him, and be forgiven and changed through Jesus Christ.
    Last edited by BradshawsHairdresser; 04-30-2013 at 06:00 PM.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    No it's not... it's not the same thing and it's irresponsible to say such a thing.

You can hide sexuality.. you can't hide skin color. There is a difference IMO.
    Blacks can absolutely try and hide their skin color. Never heard of blacks bleaching their skin? Dye their hair blonde and straighten it. It is the same thing. People should NOT have to hide who they are. Dude is gay. Who cares?
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Not going to get too heavily involved in this, but...

Why can't a person have a viewpoint slightly differing from the masses without fear of being hounded & talked down for that viewpoint?

Why should someone like Mike Wallace feel he needs to apologise for his THOUGHTS to people? Seriously? It's not like he's condemned anyone, he's not raised the banners for others who think like him to march on gay people & wreak havoc.

It's his personal opinion. Big freakin' deal if it goes against what you, or the general population want to believe.

Maybe the real question should be- why does a gay player feel he should make a public statement about what tickles his fancy? Should openly hetro players come out on camera & tell everyone how they dig women?

If this bloke wants to come out to the media & tell everyone he's gay, that's great. But if another bloke wants to post his thoughts about it on twitter, that's equally great.

Much like Mendenhall's Bin Laden tweets, the general populace has decided that someone is "WRONG" for having an opinion that isn't politically correct.
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Why can't a person have a viewpoint slightly differing from the masses without fear of being hounded & talked down for that viewpoint?

Why should someone like Mike Wallace feel he needs to apologise for his THOUGHTS to people? Seriously? It's not like he's condemned anyone, he's not raised the banners for others who think like him to march on gay people & wreak havoc.

It's his personal opinion. Big freakin' deal if it goes against what you, or the general population want to believe.

Maybe the real question should be- why does a gay player feel he should make a public statement about what tickles his fancy? Should openly hetro players come out on camera & tell everyone how they dig women?
    Not saying you are wrong, but its the same as asking why a racist white player or celebrity couldn't start tweeting about how they don't like blacks or a dude tweeting about women being inferior. A gay player probably feels he has to make a statement so when he shows up out on the town holding hands with another dude or in todays day and age, even marry another dude, that it isn't snapped as a photo and thrown up on tabloid pages and such, at which point there would be writings by his teammates about feeling betrayed or something. Just my guess.
    @_Hellgrammite

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    Could Chadman be saying that a whole lot of people who say we shouldn't judge are actually doing exactly that?
    You have essentially shown Chadman that he didn't need to type as many words as he did...
    The people that are trying to make the world worse never take a day off, why should I?

Light up the darkness.

2024 Draft
    1. Jackson Powers-Johnson OC
    2. Ruke Orhorhoro DT
    3. Khyree Jackson CB
    3. Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR
    4. Jordan Travis QB
    6. Jordan Jefferson DT

Backup

User Info Menu

God doesn't create homosexuals...they become homosexuals by choice. Also when you use the word interpretation...here is my definition of that word....to change the original meaning to a meaning that will not condemn my own guilts and sins.
    The Bible is God inspired breathed into a special select of men that God used to get His Word to us...It says to not add onto it or change it.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BradshawsHairdresser View Post
    I would invite y'all to read the New Testament. Yes, Jesus taught that we should be forgiving. But He never taught that we should be tolerant of sin. He often spoke against sin. In John 2, we read that He went into the Temple and drove out those who were sinning there. In the Gospels, we see many times when He rebuked people about their wrongs. He said, John 7:7, "The world...hates Me, because I testify of it that its works are evil." Yes, He said, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." But in the same story, He told the woman caught in adultery to "Go and sin no more" (John 8:11).

Everyone wants to quote "Judge not, lest you be judged," to try to tell us that we ought never say that anything is wrong, or that anyone's actions are wrong. But to interpret that statement in that way is to completely divorce it from the context of the rest of Scriptures, which teach over and over again that certain things, and certain behaviors, are wrong. If you read everything that Jesus said, it's pretty clear...He was not saying that we are never to judge anything as wrong. He was not saying that we are never to judge another person's actions as wrong. We are to help "take the speck" out of our brother's eye (Matthew 7). It's just that, before you do that, you need to be sure you've taken "the plank out of your own eye." In other words, don't get on your neighbor about the mess in his yard, unless you've first cleaned up the mess in your own yard.

"Let him who is without sin cast the first stone." That doesn't prohibit me from pointing out that something is wrong, but I have no business condemning the one who committed the sin. The Westboro Baptist people judge others with a condemning judgment. They miss the truth of the Bible that God hates the sin, but loves the sinner.

I would encourage you to read Romans 1:18-32, which says that homosexual behavior is the result of God’s judgment on people who reject Him—He “gives them over,” it says, to a “debased mind.” However, according to that passage, homosexual behavior is not the only sinful product of a debased mind. It also mentions sexual immorality, covetousness, maliciousness, envy, deceit, sinful pride, disobedience to parents, and being untrustworthy, unmerciful and unforgiving. Likewise, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 points out the sinfulness of homosexual behavior—but also of fornication (sex outside of marriage), idolatry, adultery, stealing, coveting, and drunkenness. It’s easy to isolate and condemn others who do the sins that I don’t do…but the truth is, there are plenty of sins that I struggle with. Rather than condemning others, or trying to justify, excuse, or accept any sin? I need to take for myself, and then share with others, the solution God has provided. God loves all sinners—no matter what we’ve done—and wants us all to come into a personal relationship with Him, and be forgiven and changed through Jesus Christ.
    God Bless friend.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    God doesn't create homosexuals...they become homosexuals by choice. Also when you use the word interpretation...here is my definition of that word....to change the original meaning to a meaning that will not condemn my own guilts and sins.
    The Bible is God inspired breathed into a special select of men that God used to get His Word to us...It says to not add onto it or change it.
    No they do not make a choice to be gay. They can choose to hide it but they are born that way. Took a identity in women in sports class that showed the genetic differences in how people are born. There are chicks born with a vag but the genes and body features and even hormones of a dude where they have so much testosterone their clits grow into small penises and stuff. There are even people born as hermaphrodites with a penis and a vag and the parents pretty much have to pick which way to name the kid and raise them as. Thats Gods magic at work right there.
    @_Hellgrammite