Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: If you had told me that an ex-Steeler would tweet something stupid re: current events

Legend

User Info Menu

Hines Ward: I don't think NFL is ready for a gay player

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League Editor
    Published: April 30, 2013

NBA center Jason Collins' announcement Monday that he's gay was a major moment in the history of American professional sports. NFL players mostly were supportive of the move publicly, with an emphasis on "mostly."

That doesn't mean it will be easy for a homosexual NFL player to reveal his sexual orientation. Former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward recently said he's uncertain whether the scene is set for the NFL's first openly gay player.

"I don't think football is ready, there's too many guys in the locker room and, you know, guys play around too much," Ward said Tuesday on Erik Kuselias' NBC Sports Radio show, via ProFootballTalk.com. "Hopefully, one guy comes out of the closet and (will) be comfortable with himself. I don't have anything against a gay football player or a gay person period, so if he does, he has support from me. I want people to live their lives for who they are and don't have to hide behind closed doors to do that."

I'm interested to see if Collins' announcement will inspire similar progress in baseball, football and hockey. The drumbeat for a player coming out in the NFL was loud this offseason, even before Collins' disclosure. Ward might not think football is ready, but the day probably is coming sooner than he thinks. Ready or not, progress only can be a good thing.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165394/article/hines-ward-i-dont-think-nfl-is-ready-for-gay-player[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Richard Simmons does a really good job of hiding it.
    so does Chris Bosh

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Hines Ward: I don't think NFL is ready for a gay player

By Gregg Rosenthal
    Around The League Editor
    Published: April 30, 2013

NBA center Jason Collins' announcement Monday that he's gay was a major moment in the history of American professional sports. NFL players mostly were supportive of the move publicly, with an emphasis on "mostly."

That doesn't mean it will be easy for a homosexual NFL player to reveal his sexual orientation. Former Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward recently said he's uncertain whether the scene is set for the NFL's first openly gay player.

"I don't think football is ready, there's too many guys in the locker room and, you know, guys play around too much," Ward said Tuesday on Erik Kuselias' NBC Sports Radio show, via ProFootballTalk.com. "Hopefully, one guy comes out of the closet and (will) be comfortable with himself. I don't have anything against a gay football player or a gay person period, so if he does, he has support from me. I want people to live their lives for who they are and don't have to hide behind closed doors to do that."

I'm interested to see if Collins' announcement will inspire similar progress in baseball, football and hockey. The drumbeat for a player coming out in the NFL was loud this offseason, even before Collins' disclosure. Ward might not think football is ready, but the day probably is coming sooner than he thinks. Ready or not, progress only can be a good thing.

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000165394/article/hines-ward-i-dont-think-nfl-is-ready-for-gay-player[/URL]

If I was gay, I'd tell everyone. How else do you meet other gay people? Hiding it doesn't make sense to me.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    How else do you meet other gay people?
    Haven't 80's movies taught you anything?

Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Backup

User Info Menu

Treating homosexuality like its a race or racial thing...I don't understand. To even mention them in the same topic is really off.

Does not anyone on here believe that God made woman for a man...that God abhors homosexuality??? If I were a famous athlete I would say "shame on you J Collins...
    It is not you that I dislike but the lifestyle you have chosen." Read the Bible:

In Genesis 19 God destroys Sodom and Gomorrah due to the extensive amount of sin and debauchery going on in the city. Some add homosexuality in with the sins being committed. Others say that it was not just blanket homosexuality being condemned but homosexual rape, meaning it is different from homosexual behavior in loving relationships.

Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." (NIV)

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (NIV)
    In Genesis it also says that God made woman for man,,,not man for man.

This just is another example of where our society is going.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Haven't 80's movies taught you anything?

That and a trip to Key West provided a great education. They should actually rename Key West to Blue Oyster Island and warn you before you go.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    Treating homosexuality like its a race or racial thing...I don't understand. To even mention them in the same topic is really off.

Does not anyone on here believe that God made woman for a man...that God abhors homosexuality??? If I were a famous athlete I would say "shame on you J Collins...
    It is not you that I dislike but the lifestyle you have chosen." Read the Bible:

In Genesis 19 God destroys Sodom and Gomorrah due to the extensive amount of sin and debauchery going on in the city. Some add homosexuality in with the sins being committed. Others say that it was not just blanket homosexuality being condemned but homosexual rape, meaning it is different from homosexual behavior in loving relationships.

Leviticus 18:22 - "Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable." (NIV)

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads." (NIV)

Whatever happened to ideas like:

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus
    He who is without sin, cast the first stone.
    or

Judge not, lest ye be judged.
    Slave owners used the Bible to justify slavery. The Westboro Baptist Church uses it to justify their appalling actions. Jesus' message was to be open, tolerant, forgiving and accepting. It is God's place to judge. Not ours.

Remember:

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakeapeare
    The Devil can cite scripture to suit his own purpose."
    I apologize for thread jacking.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post

We live in a society that allows for freedom of religion. But it's not even clear that the Christian God is against homosexuality. Some people believe that God is androginous and created Adam in his image and created a woman for him from his rib as a helper. Possibly in Christian terms this merely means we are to help one another. There's no specifications of genitals in Genesis. Seriously, this stuff is poetry open to interpretation and I've seen lots of different ones.

The Bible is just a bunch of books written for a purpose for a people in a particular time in history. Leviticus wouldn't make sense for today's society. Should we kill for blasphemy? Should we kill children who curse their parents? Leviticus makes it ok to have slaves too. And women would have no place in society if we went by Leviticus rules. If you're gonna use Leviticus to condemn gays, you probably have to stone yourself for some reason as well. We all would. Most people read Leviticus as a set of rules for the Jews during that time period to set themselves apart from the Gentiles and stay healthy.

It's also not clear that God destroyed S&G for homosexuality. That was an interpretation later formed by Christians that didn't like homosexuality allowed in other religions. There were lots of other reasons for S&G's destruction. Lot has incest with his daughters. Maybe it was more about incest? or something else completely. Lots of interpretations.

If God cared so much about homosexuality, wouldn't Jesus have mentioned it at least once?

A little tidbit you may find interesting, the King James version of the Bible is one of the most popular. King James was gay. Why would a gay guy publish a book that condemns him?

I'm not sure the Bible's intention was for us to use it to make decisions for others. Matthew 7:3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?" We've all got our own problems (planks) that there's no need to be concerned about another man's sawdust (homosexuality).

A lot of people don't really care what God thinks about this topic. Some do. For those that do, IMHO, God didn't say anything about it directly.

At the end of the day, why would God create a homosexual if he abhors them?

Besides, the more gays, the more women left over to choose from for the rest of us. And God would want that for the rest of us if he's a good God right? Seems like a win win for everyone

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slapstick View Post
    I apologize for thread jacking.
    A gay thread or a thread about Wally will thread jack itself. That's one of the guarantees in life. Nothing you can do about it.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    After all of his plastic surgery, Kenny looks almost as bad as the Jarvis Jones meat statue, except that his complexion is actually darker than Jarvis' raisin-clad head (probably from years of standing under the Kenny Rogers Roasters neon sign outside Kramer's apartment).

Just dropped by to see what condition his condition is in. It ain't natural.