Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 178

Thread: If you had told me that an ex-Steeler would tweet something stupid re: current events

  1. #121
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    Do religious folks call out their religious friends that get divorces with as much gusto as they do gay people? If so, they must be a busy bunch.
    Do as I say... not as I do.


    definitely applies to Sammy Sosa ^^

  2. #122
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    The Country you live in was founded on Christian principle and Christian men of God. Our Society and Nation have slowly taken God out of this Country, out of the Schools, out of the Gov't. It has been replaced with individualism like you mention above. Promotion of me, its ok to be gay (its in), if it feels good it must be ok, live for the moment mentality.
    It all started when God breathed and spoke this world into existence. He gave us His Holy Word...(to keep us accountable and as a guide in life)we have taken that Word and altered it. It is why the Mormons have their own Bible and the Muslims have the Koran which is similar to the Bible. It is a prime example of us as a Society taking something we don't want to be held accountable to and altering it to what fits us.

    It is not about religion...the Pharisees in the Bible had religion...Satan himself use to be an angel and in charge of all the music in Heaven. It is about a relationship you have with The Father and His son Jesus Christ.
    Check this out concerning our forefathers....http://mangrums.net/content/words-ou...an-forefathers

    Don't hate the sinner, hate the sin.

    You want some common sense facts if you want to leave the Bible out like most people....A stick fits into a hole...2 sticks don't fit anywhere. Well actually it can but that would be gross and leads to my second point...
    the one disease that is associated with people having a homosexual lifestyle. Aids The worst disease imaginable. That is how much God abhors this sin.
    There's just a lot here that's so insanely wrong, I'm not even sure how to move forward with this.

    I'll just start out with: Aids, The Worst disease imaginable? I'm pretty sure I'd rather wind up with AIDS then stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

    The Declaration of Independence mentions god once, and do it in a fairly ambiguous way.

    The two other major documents core to the founding of our country mention a supreme being exactly ZERO times between them. You'd think they'd put that in there if we were "founded on Christian principle."

    But i digress....

    I'd like ONE non religious argument against homosexuality, please.

  3. #123
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    977
    Also, to the folks who say what he tweeted isn't offensive. It can be construed either way. My point was, it's stupid.

  4. #124
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    There's just a lot here that's so insanely wrong, I'm not even sure how to move forward with this.

    I'll just start out with: Aids, The Worst disease imaginable? I'm pretty sure I'd rather wind up with AIDS then stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

    The Declaration of Independence mentions god once, and do it in a fairly ambiguous way.

    The two other major documents core to the founding of our country mention a supreme being exactly ZERO times between them. You'd think they'd put that in there if we were "founded on Christian principle."

    But i digress....

    I'd like ONE non religious argument against homosexuality, please.
    I actually didn't mention any documents, simply mentioning the people behind those documents and behind establishing our Country. If you have any money in your pocket...look on the back of it. It mentions God also!
    What other book predicted it so well when you look at:

    2 Timothy 3

    New International Version (NIV)


    3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

    6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.


    Does this not sound like today's World? I don't condemn anyone...God is the judge of my sin and yours. But God also said to show people the truth...then you choose. You can be free with Him or choose to die in sin...That is the great thing about it is that God gave us a choice. I choose life, liberty, peace when I make a mistake...I choose God.

  5. #125
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by legend of polamalu View Post
    I actually didn't mention any documents, simply mentioning the people behind those documents and behind establishing our Country. If you have any money in your pocket...look on the back of it. It mentions God also!
    What other book predicted it so well when you look at:

    2 Timothy 3

    New International Version (NIV)


    3 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

    6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over gullible women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to come to a knowledge of the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these teachers oppose the truth. They are men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected. 9 But they will not get very far because, as in the case of those men, their folly will be clear to everyone.


    Does this not sound like today's World? I don't condemn anyone...God is the judge of my sin and yours. But God also said to show people the truth...then you choose. You can be free with Him or choose to die in sin...That is the great thing about it is that God gave us a choice. I choose life, liberty, peace when I make a mistake...I choose God.
    Sounds like every day and age... See the middle ages, coincidentally when the Catholic Church had damn near absolute authority.

    Also: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli

    Specifically the block quote part way down:
    As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion,—as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen [Muslims],—and as the said States never entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mahometan [Mohammedan] nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.


    Regarding the mention of god on our money:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_we_trust

    Wasn't there on ANY money until 1864. It wasn't on ANY papery currency until 1957. And it wasn't even associated as our "motto" until 1956.

    Most of what I've read about hte founding fathers paints them as deists at best...

  6. #126
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,489
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    There's just a lot here that's so insanely wrong, I'm not even sure how to move forward with this.

    I'll just start out with: Aids, The Worst disease imaginable? I'm pretty sure I'd rather wind up with AIDS then stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

    The Declaration of Independence mentions god once, and do it in a fairly ambiguous way.

    The two other major documents core to the founding of our country mention a supreme being exactly ZERO times between them. You'd think they'd put that in there if we were "founded on Christian principle."

    But i digress....

    I'd like ONE non religious argument against homosexuality, please.
    One non-religious argument against homosexuality...

    OK, here goes- how many animal species have active gay communities? (Note: Gay/homosexual- not bi-sexual)




    Disclaimer- Chadman has no problem with homosexuality- you just asked for an argument against with no religious basis.
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  7. #127
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Posts
    5,489
    Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    Also, to the folks who say what he tweeted isn't offensive. It can be construed either way. My point was, it's stupid.

    Why was it stupid though? Because the masses believe it to be so? Does that make it stupid?
    Schiavone's Race Career:

    Starts- 9
    Wins- 1
    2nd- 4
    3rd- 0
    Other- 4

    Prizemoney- $28,050.00


  8. #128
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    Why was it stupid though? Because the masses believe it to be so? Does that make it stupid?
    Because it's stupid to put yourself out there in any sort of public way on a controversial topic if you're a public figure. Specifically, if you're tied to an organization whose dollar value is directly tied to public opinion.

  9. #129
    Starter
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    977
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadman View Post
    One non-religious argument against homosexuality...

    OK, here goes- how many animal species have active gay communities? (Note: Gay/homosexual- not bi-sexual)

    Disclaimer- Chadman has no problem with homosexuality- you just asked for an argument against with no religious basis.
    So not just homosexual behavior? It also has to exhibit NON heterosexual behavior as well?

    That's kind of a ticky tack question. Homosexuality has been viewed in many many many species:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...exual_behavior

    The concept of community doesn't even exist in all animals.

  10. #130
    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    Well...this thread is/was interesting.

    I think Mike Wallace is an idiot. I don't think it's because he stated a non-PC opinion publicly while being a big time athlete in the public eye. I think it's because he doesn't understand the basic concept that not all people are the same. Some people are straight. Some people are gay. What straight men feel for women is what and how gay men feel for other men (or thereabouts).

    It's a basic lesson in empathy. People are different.
    It was a wisecrack. He wasn't stupid in the manner you think. He was merely silly to not realize that most people wouldn't recognize a wisecrack for what it is and jump all over him. Its silly to pick on his wisecrack and go overboard over it, and totally ignore the following disclaimers he posted. Why would you believe the former, which was clearly lighthearted, and not the latter?


    Quote Originally Posted by eniparadoxgma View Post
    To continue with this idea, I'm still amazed and people who profess their religion as "right" or "the one religion" for any reason, much less "because I felt it and know it's true". I'm fine with that type of assertion as long as those people allow for other people feeling the same type of feeling with other religions or even non-religious viewpoints. For example, just because a Christian "sees the light and feels Jesus in his heart" it doesn't mean that a Muslim doesn't "see the light and feel Mohammed" or a Buddhist becoming one with the Buddha nature or even an atheist feeling the bottomless void left by the absence of objective morality is any less valid.

    Point being, what's good/right for you isn't necessarily what's good/right for anyone else, and I think that taking that to heart should be a requirement for anyone attempting enlightened discourse on these types of subjects.

    But hey, maybe that's just me.
    Yeah, all the Jesus stuff had me scratching my head briefly -- had I just stumbled into a religion board while looking for steelers stuff? Apparently not, its just our resident devout proclaiming from their soapbox. I wonder what would happen if a resident devout Muslim or Buddhist began proclaiming their own doctrine as if it were the self-evident truth..
    You'd have to agree with me that this stuff is potentially way more polarizing than Mike W.'s wisecrack.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •