Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tim Tebow

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    The difference between Tebow and other guys who are running the zone read right now is accuracy as a passer. Tim Tebow started the equivalent of an entire NFL season at QB and completed 47% of his passes. That ain't gettin' it done. The threat of the passing game simply isn't real with Tebow as your quarterback (unless you run a 9 man box and your corner gives up the inside of the field to a big, fast physical receiver who gives him a target roughly the size of Lake Erie into which to throw the football, but we won't go there).

Tebow is a gifted athlete... and likely will star in Canada. To me, the most apt comparison isn't Doug Flutie, whose physical limitations were simply too much to overcome in terms of being Super Bowl caliber QB material, but Warren Moon. Went to Canada, lit it up there, then latched on in the NFL and went on to have a ton of success. Tebow needs time and reps to refine his passing skills. The salary cap era makes it impossible for a player to get that in the NFL.

If then were like now, Terry Bradshaw would be a farmer in Louisiana, not a Hall of Fame QB. His first 5 years made Alex Smith look good, but the team waited on him to develop... you simply can't do that now. I fully believe that Tebow will develop in Canada and come back in 3 or 4 years as a good NFL QB.
    Did Moon go up to Canada to play QB because he was inaccurate or because he is black and no one would give him a fair shot? I've always heard it was more of the latter than anything to do with his football skills.
    Last edited by RussBII; 05-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Pittsburgh View Post
    I hope Tebow goes to Canada and kicks some butt. Would be happy for him.
    While I wish him no ill will, I hope he more or less disappears from the sporting universe. I'm sick of the nutso coverage and all of the conversations that come with him.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    Did Moon go up to Canada to play QB because he was inaccurate or because he is black and no one would give him a fair shot? I've always heard it was more of the latter than anything to do with his football skills.
    Bingo... If you told Tebow to drop back 10 times and throw to the same spot he can't do it. I'm talking about IN practice... not in a game.

No one should compare Tebow to Flutie, Moon or any actual QB who can throw a spiral.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RussBII View Post
    Moon came to Canada out of college because he was a black style QB before there was such a thing in the NFL. He was dominant while here winning IIRC 5 Grey Cups with the Edmondton Eskimos before the NFL took notice and came calling.

Flutie went to the NFL first and could not get a shot. He came and was also dominant with several different teams. Both players were substantially better in the NFL than Tebow will ever be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Why the Patriots Make Sense for Tim Tebow

Published May 4, 2013
    By Charlie Campbell

Tim Tebow is available as a free agent and there hasn't been a receptive marketplace for him. It has become fashionable in the media to bash Tebow for not being an NFL quarterback. The critics neglect to mention Denver languishing with Kyle Orton at quarterback and Tebow taking over a 1-4 team and leading it to a division title. They also seem to ignore that Tebow had almost 400 yards of total offense in a playoff game against the No. 1-rated defense in the NFL. While Tebow certainly has room for improvement, he's better than the majority of backups in the NFL and some team's starters (Jacksonville, Oakland, New York Jets, Buffalo).

Of all the possible landing spots for Tebow, the one that makes the most sense is with the New England Patriots. There was a lot of talk before and after the 2010 NFL Draft that the Patriots had designs on drafting Tebow on the second day. Bill Belichick loves to obtain Gator products, as he has a close relationship with one of Tebow's biggest backers, former Florida head coach Urban Meyer.

Tebow was drafted by former Denver head coach Josh McDaniels, who is now back in New England as the offensive coordinator. The media attention in New England is always focused on Tom Brady, so Tebow's spotlight will be massively diminished sitting behind Brady. With a Hall of Famer in Brady, there won't be any pressure from the fanbase to put Tebow in the lineup.

The Patriots have taken chances on high-profile, controversial veterans in recent years, including Randy Moss, Albert Haynesworth and Chad Ochocinco. Unlike those veterans, Tebow is good in the locker room and doesn't have character concerns.

Some former Gator teammates would help Tebow assimilate to the Patriots locker room. Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez were big supporters of Tebow at Florida. Tebow's team-first attitude and tireless work ethic is a perfect fit for the Patriot Way under Belichick.

Learning from Brady, McDaniels and Belichick could definitely make Tebow a better quarterback. Brady turns 36 in August, so preparing for the end of his career would be astute planning by New England. Adding a backup like Tebow would allow the Patriots to trade backup Ryan Mallett rather than losing him for nothing in free agency. If Brady were to get injured, the Patriots have the team around Tebow to continue winning just like they did with Matt Cassel in 2008. McDaniels and Belichick are creative coaches who could emphasize Tebow's strengths and hide his weaknesses.

The Patriots can take their time to see if Tebow can make the improvements needed to one day replace Brady. Perhaps Tebow could be the Steve Young to Brady's legendary Joe Montana status. New England has nothing to lose by trying.

[URL]http://www.walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post
    Moon came to Canada out of college because he was a black style QB before there was such a thing in the NFL. He was dominant while here winning IIRC 5 Grey Cups with the Edmondton Eskimos before the NFL took notice and came calling.

Flutie went to the NFL first and could not get a shot. He came and was also dominant with several different teams. Both players were substantially better in the NFL than Tebow will ever be.

If black style = athletic running QB Moon was far from it. He played the game like a traditional QB he just happened to be black.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feltdizz View Post
    If black style = athletic running QB Moon was far from it. He played the game like a traditional QB he just happened to be black.
    Moon is the Neil O'Donnell of black QBs. In the statue in the pocket sense, not the crappy QB sense.

Legend

User Info Menu

Starkey: Steelers know — Tebow belongs in NFL

By Joe Starkey
    Published: Thursday, June 6, 2013

Throwing out Tim Tebow's name figured to generate some interesting reactions among the Steelers this week — and no, the topic had nothing to do with Ben Roethlisberger's minor knee surgery.

I'm not sure Tebow's a quarterback, anyway, though I know he's better than at least half the backups in the NFL. I know he can help a team in some way, shape or form.

Who could speak to that better than the Steelers?

I wondered if players were surprised that Tebow had yet to find a team since the New York Jets cut him a month ago.

I also wondered if they'd welcome him here, even knowing the chance of that happening is about as good as Mike Tomlin calling HBO to invite “Hard Knocks” to Latrobe.

So, Larry Foote, would The Tebow Show fly in Pittsburgh?

“If (GM) Kevin Colbert says so, I'm all for it.”

Really?

“Why not?” he said. “Tebow, just from what I see, is an awesome guy and a talent.”

Other players weren't quite as eager to talk about Tebow when asked if they were surprised he's out of work.

“I don't know,” said cornerback Ike Taylor. “That's on him. My name's Ike.”

“I don't really care about that,” said defensive end Brett Keisel, referring to Tebow and not that Taylor's name is indeed Ike. “I'm not really surprised.”

Foote had a different take.

“He won some games, had some success,” Foote said. “We know it first-hand. I think he should be somewhere at least competing for a job. I think he's earned that.”

No reasonable thinker would peg Tebow a starter. But nobody can convince me he's not good enough to be a backup or perhaps to play another position, given that he stands 6-foot-3, 236 pounds and has a knack for running the ball.

Look around the league, and you see the likes of Dan Orlovsky, Dominique Davis and B.J. Coleman working as No. 2 quarterbacks. JaMarcus Russell is getting a tryout, for goodness sake. You're telling me there's no place for a guy who went 7-4 two years ago and beat the Steelers in a playoff game?

“The ultimate goal out here is to win, and he won football games, so I'm a little surprised,” said Steelers backup Bruce Gradkowski. “But I know how it is. It happened to me. I was on the streets for a while. I think something will break for him, but it's a tough business.”

When pressed, Taylor and Keisel acknowledged a grudging respect for Tebow, who, of course, beat the Steelers in a playoff game two years ago by throwing for 316 yards and two touchdowns. I asked each if they considered him to be a decent player.

“Tim Tebow is real decent,” Taylor said. “But (his future) isn't up to me. You gotta ask the owners and coaches and GMs. As far as being a competitor, he's one of the best competitors I've seen.”

“He beat us. You have to give him credit for that,” Keisel said. “I think he'll get another shot.”

It's fairly obvious why Tebow hasn't gotten another shot. Foote laughed when he spoke to it, but his words rang true: “You guys are the reason he's not in the league. It's your fault.”

That really is the most logical explanation. Not that all of us media types are at fault. Most of us, for example, didn't have anything to do with a certain outlet celebrating Tebow's birthday by way of a television special.

If you know NFL coaches and general managers, you know they are among the most paranoid people on earth. Do you think many of them would want to put up with the media monstrosity that is Tebow?

If he were a star, sure. He's a role player, at best.

Still, I would argue that in certain situations, Tebow's presence might actually help by deflecting attention away from other matters. I also happen to believe he could help a team win, whether as an H-back or a backup quarterback, and that he'd thrive in the right environment — which New York certainly was not.

Pittsburgh could be one of those environments, but it won't be the place for Tebow.

Will anywhere?

[URL]http://triblive.com/sports/joestarke...#ixzz2VWNKubiM[/URL]
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steeler_fan_in_t.o. View Post

What does "black style" mean?
    If you mean "running" Flutie was ebony to Moons ivory in college.

Flutie had twice the rush yardage as Moon had in college and CONTINUED to run a bunch as a pro.
    Moon had a whopping 1.8 yards per rush. Moon was no Mike Vick.

The truth is the NFL passed on Moon because he was black, nothing whatsoever to do with style of play.

In view of the fact that Mike Tomlin has matched Cowhers record I give him the designation:

TCFCLTC-
    The Coach Formerly Considered Less Than Cowher

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Lemming View Post
    What does "black style" mean?
    If you mean "running" Flutie was ebony to Moons ivory in college.

Flutie had twice the rush yardage as Moon had in college and CONTINUED to run a bunch as a pro.
    Moon had a whopping 1.8 yards per rush. Moon was no Mike Vick.

The truth is the NFL passed on Moon because he was black, nothing whatsoever to do with style of play.
    He got screwed over because of his race. I think even colleges wanted to try to convert him to WR, but he couldn't because he wasn't a good enough athlete. It's kinda a shame because the guy would probably have NFL records out the wazoo if it weren't for the racism.

I remember him being pretty vocal about Cam Newton getting treated the way he was coming out of college because he was a black QB. I remember the way he said it made it seem like he had some resentment.

Unfortunately, the stereotype continues a bit to this day for some reason, likely because you've got a lot of black QBs that happen to be great athletes and very few Moons and Leftwiches. I'm sure in time there will be more and more guys with good arms that aren't great athletes. In a way the problem stems from college because college teams can thrive with an athlete that's a mediocre passer playing QB. And I bet there's other Warren Moons out there that aren't getting a shot as a result of the college game.