Backup

User Info Menu

Steelers sign P Brian Moorman

According Bob Labriola via twitter.

WR Bret Reed waived.
    Steeler Nation in Spain

Legend

User Info Menu

Good...competition for Butler...may the best leg win. Sure, Moorman's as old I am, but old age never stopped punters/kickers before. Dude was beloved in Buffalo before they let him go last year (of course, there hasn't been much else to cheer for in Buffalo for quite a while, so a punter is as good a thing as any to get behind).
    Steeler teams featuring stat-driven, me-first, fantasy-football-darling diva types such as Antonio Brown & Le'Veon Bell won no championships.

Super Bowl winning Steeler teams were built around a dynamic, in-your-face defense plus blue-collar, hard-hitting, no-nonsense football players on offense such as Hines Ward & Jerome Bettis.

We don't want Juju & Conner to replace what we lost in Brown & Bell.

We are counting on Juju & Conner to return us to the glory we once had with Hines & The Bus.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Report: Steelers adding punter Brian Moorman

Posted by Mike Wilkening on April 30, 2013, 3:55 PM EDT

Getty Images
    The Steelers have signed veteran punter Brian Moorman, Bob Labriola of Steelers Digest reported on Tuesday.

The 37-year-old Moorman was one of the best punters left in free agency. He will push Drew Butler for the Steelers’ punting job. According to multiple reports, Moorman visited Pittsburgh on Monday.

Moorman had stints with the Cowboys and Bills — his long-time club — in 2012. The Cowboys picked up Moorman when Buffalo released him after a slow start. A two-time Pro Bowler and a member of the NFL’s All-Decade team of the 2000s, Moorman’s form improved in Dallas, where he posted a 38.9-yard net average in 12 games compared to just 32.7 yards net in three games for the Bills.

Drew Butler, the son of former NFL kicker Kevin Butler, recorded a 37.8-yard net average in 2012.

According to Labriola, the Steelers also waived wide receiver Bert Reed on Tuesday.
    2022 NFL Mock Draft
    -------------------------------------------
    1. Malik Willis, QB; Liberty
    2. Daniel Faalele, OT; Minnesota
    3. Dante Stills, DT; West Virginia
    7. Riley Moss, CB; Iowa

Legend

User Info Menu

Why not sign one of the guys as a UDFA with a young leg? Did any punters get drafted or signed as UDFAs? Signing a 38 year old punter that was only a couple yards better than Butler doesn't seem prudent.

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by papillon View Post
    Why not sign one of the guys as a UDFA with a young leg? Did any punters get drafted or signed as UDFAs? Signing a 38 year old punter that was only a couple yards better than Butler doesn't seem prudent.

Pappy
    Agree. There are good college guys out there.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Legend

User Info Menu

The Steelers went with the youth approach last year, and as Butler showed, younger is not always better. I know that the Eagles signed Wing, the punter from LSU, as a high priority FA with a decent bonus. I'm fine with competition between the rookie and the vet.

Even if Moorman only sticks for a year, he's a punter. You don't need a long term solution. You either have one of the few elite guys or one of many essentially interchangeable options.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    Good...competition for Butler...may the best leg win. Sure, Moorman's as old I am, but old age never stopped punters/kickers before. Dude was beloved in Buffalo before they let him go last year (of course, there hasn't been much else to cheer for in Buffalo for quite a while, so a punter is as good a thing as any to get behind).
    Has he ever had a kick blocked?

Legend

User Info Menu

Pappy

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Pappy
    Exactly, I'm getting Mitch Berger flashbacks....and that is not a good thing.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by phillyesq View Post
    The Steelers went with the youth approach last year, and as Butler showed, younger is not always better. I know that the Eagles signed Wing, the punter from LSU, as a high priority FA with a decent bonus. I'm fine with competition between the rookie and the vet.

Even if Moorman only sticks for a year, he's a punter. You don't need a long term solution. You either have one of the few elite guys or one of many essentially interchangeable options.
    I disagree, the Steelers were constantly giving up field position yards due to the lack of having a punter that could switch the field. I guess I just place a little more importance on the guy that can put the defense in a positive situation with a good punt, or ensure that a dangerous punt returner doesn't really get a chance to change the game or bail out the offense when a drive stalls. All things that our punter didn't do last year consistently enough and over the course of the year it cost the Steelers games, IMO.

I don't know if one of the college punters would be better or worse, but, why not bring one in to compete. Wasn't one of the goals to get younger?

Pappy

1.20 -
    2.51 -
    3.84 -
    3.98 -
    4.119 -
    7.178 -
    7.195 -

"Football is a physical game, well, it used to be anyways" - Mel Blount