Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Steelers hope for fast learners from draft class

  1. #11
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,457
    I haven't been this excited about a draft class since Tomlin's been here. Top to bottom, there isn't a guy I'm not excited about. I liked the first 2 days of the draft, but I think this year is the first time I can remember where I think they really knocked it out of the park on Day 3.

  2. #12
    Backup SteelSpain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In Spain, but in Pittsburgh mentally
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I haven't been this excited about a draft class since Tomlin's been here. Top to bottom, there isn't a guy I'm not excited about. I liked the first 2 days of the draft, but I think this year is the first time I can remember where I think they really knocked it out of the park on Day 3.
    Yeah. Except Justin Brown I believe all of them make the roster. He has a long shot. Nick Williams is going to surprise many people this preseason.

    You know what's even sadder?

    I am a poet and for me spring does not exist

  3. #13
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cincitucky (Stinktown, U.S.A.)
    Posts
    4,036
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern_Blitz View Post
    Before we get too excited about this draft class, lets remember how absolutely everyone thought both Mendenhall and Sweed were the steals of the draft and Dennis Dixon was a potential first rounder / QB of the future for someone that slipped only because of injury.

    I think we did well over the weekend, but you never know until they suit up.
    Mendenhall was very good for us. He was huge in playoff wins versus the Jets and Ravens. Mendenhall had some fumbling and injury issues, but he was a decent to good starter. Sweed had all the talent to be a gem. Unfortunately, he crumbled mentally. That is unfortunate, but I don't blame the FO for that. You take chances on great talent late in the second round.

    Dixon was a project picked later in the draft. Calling him a bust is just silly.

    Top picks for every team (even the Pats) don't pan out. It happens. This is NOT news, nor does it mean anything about this class. Find something else to whine about.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

  4. #14
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,457
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelSpain View Post
    Yeah. Except Justin Brown I believe all of them make the roster. He has a long shot. Nick Williams is going to surprise many people this preseason.
    I think even JB might surprise. I've heard more people say good things about him recently and the Steelers have a knack for finding WRs.

  5. #15
    Backup SteelSpain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    In Spain, but in Pittsburgh mentally
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I think even JB might surprise. I've heard more people say good things about him recently and the Steelers have a knack for finding WRs.
    I hope you are right. A young 63" WR would be great. But in case that finally sign Breaston and even they cut a vet (Cotch or Plax) they should carry 6 for retain him and beat the other receivers: Dunn (we read good things of him everyday), Gilreath ( I liked him last year), Moye (65")... Like I said before I really hope you are right. If the 9 picks from this year draft sticks would be a very good sign.

    You know what's even sadder?

    I am a poet and for me spring does not exist

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by steelblood View Post
    Mendenhall was very good for us. He was huge in playoff wins versus the Jets and Ravens. Mendenhall had some fumbling and injury issues, but he was a decent to good starter. Sweed had all the talent to be a gem. Unfortunately, he crumbled mentally. That is unfortunate, but I don't blame the FO for that. You take chances on great talent late in the second round.

    Dixon was a project picked later in the draft. Calling him a bust is just silly.

    Top picks for every team (even the Pats) don't pan out. It happens. This is NOT news, nor does it mean anything about this class. Find something else to whine about.
    I think we're basically saying the same thing.
    What I think you're saying is: "The 2008 draft class lived up to reasonable expectations".
    What I'm saying: "Lets try to set reasonable expectations for this draft class. Look how the 2008 class didn't live up to our unreasonable expectations."

    I agree that RM was good-to-decent for us. I actually would have tried to resign him to a cheap short term contract to see if he could rebound. He produced about as much as the other first round backs from that draft (except CJ), but I think we all thought he was going to be Jerome Bettis with hands.

    Sweed was heralded to be a guy that was supposed to go in the first but fell for no apparent reason. He was called the "pick of the draft" by talking heads and people on this board too. Didn't work out that way.

    I think the discussion about Dixon when he was drafted was pretty much the same as what you'll read about Jones right now. A mid round QB who slipped, but "shouldn't have" and will develop into a franchise QB. It wasn't a fair projection for Dixon and isn't fair for Jones. We should be hoping for a Dixon like career from Jones (with a ceiling of C.Batch). What I've read here is that he will either bring in a huge bounty via trade or make Big Ben expendable. Similar things were said about Dixing (at least with regard to development and trade value). I hope it's true, but those expectations are high for first round QBs. The whole "he's the best QB in the draft" thing is the kind of hyperbole that all draft pendents give at draft time.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •