Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matt Elam (Rd 1) vs. Shamarko Thomas (Rd 4)

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I think Elam went about 10 picks high, but the dude is a player. I can't comment on Thomas, as I only saw him play a handful of times, but Elam was my dream pick in the 2nd.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by birtikidis View Post
    I think Elam went about 10 picks high, but the dude is a player. I can't comment on Thomas, as I only saw him play a handful of times, but Elam was my dream pick in the 2nd.
    I'm not saying that Elam is a bad player. I watched him in the SEC and he played well. He is a lot like Bernard Pollard. I just don't see a huge difference between him and Shark Thomas.

Elam was exposed against Louisville in the bowl game. I do, however, think that may have been because he was disinterested. Thomas doesn't seem like the type of dude that gets complacent.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    I personal think Thomas is the better player. He's the better athlete and if he was a couple inches taller he woulda been the top S in the draft. Elam made a couple highlight reel hits in the SEC and got overrated as a result imho.

Shmarko also showed the capability to play corner and lined up outside at times following the other teams best WR. So he'll be fantastic in the slot. He's probably the best cover guy of any of the safeties. He's lightning fast on the field.

I think Thomas is more versatile and might be able to be used in a lot of different ways to get him on the field asap.

In a couple years, he's gonna have a Troy like impact on this defense.
    no offense flip, but elam had a lot more than a couple of highlight reel hits. He is a very solid player.

time will tell, but I think shamarko will struggle against some of the matchups he will see in the NFL.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Shamarko is as similar a player to Troy Polamalu as we've seen on the Steelers roster since 2003...

Not saying he'll be an all-time great like Troy, but he has a lot of the same physical tools...if he has anything close to Troy's closing speed...damn...

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Spaghetti View Post
    no offense flip, but elam had a lot more than a couple of highlight reel hits. He is a very solid player.

time will tell, but I think shamarko will struggle against some of the matchups he will see in the NFL.
    Look, I like the SEC as much as anyone. I'm from the south. They know football. But Elam is mostly an in the box safety. Did you watch Florida's bowl game? Teddy Bridgewater and that Big East team took it to them. He was repeatedly abused in that game.

Elam's going to struggle as much as Thomas in that respect. Thomas has a better vert and is only one inch shorter.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I don't let one game cloud my judgement and anyway the loss to louisville was a total team effort. Pinning it on elam is foolish. The guy had a very solid career at UF. No need to beat the kid up because we drafted somebody else.

like I said, time will tell. I hope we got a bargain as some seem to believe.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

I don't let one game cloud my judgement and anyway the loss to louisville was a total team effort. Pinning it on elam is foolish. The guy had a very solid career at UF. No need to beat the kid up because we drafted somebody else.

like I said, time will tell. I hope we got a bargain as some seem to believe.
    I didn't mean to make it sound like I didn't like Elam. But he's not 3 rounds better than Shark Thomas.

Legend

User Info Menu

I'm not saying Elam's a bad prospect. I think he'll be fine. Just think Shmarko has a lot more potential with the ability to play S, CB, and LB. He's versatile and the better overall athlete. His almost like a mini version of Carnell Lake in his overall athleticism.

For example, I think Shamrko could replace Foote on 3rd downs next to Timmy. Or can possibly beat out Gay or Brown to be our 3rd corner. And I don't think Elam could do the same.

I was trying to compliment Elam saying he was a big hitter which he is. And it got more attention cause he's an SEC guy. The SEC is the best conference. But it's sometimes tough to tell who the best players are on the team when many are so good. Sometimes I think other guys on a team cover some of the other players from time to time.

Shamrko wasn't surrounded by talent.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigRob View Post
    Look, I like the SEC as much as anyone. I'm from the south. They know football. But Elam is mostly an in the box safety.
    I get to see a lot of SEC and ACC teams in NC and agree with this sentiment.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

how the heck is shamarko going to play LB? Cmon flip, he's 5'8 and change and a couple hundred pounds. Lets hope he can be a goood to very good safety before we start putting him all over the field.

we might need to fit him for a cape if he can play all of the positions you listed.