Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Comp Picks in 2014 Draft? What could we get?

  1. #1
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,336

    Comp Picks in 2014 Draft? What could we get?

    Many of you understand this far better than I do, But given the free agents we had signed away what might we see in a return of Comp Picks? On sthe surface it sems like we lost alot and should get at least 3 Comp picks back for Wallace, Lewis, Mendy, Mundy, Allen, etc.
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  2. #2
    Hall of Famer
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2,779
    Steelers should get 3rd(Wallace), 4th or 5th (K-Lew) and a 7th Rd (Mendy) pick IMO.
    Steelers Draft
    Rd 1: Mike Evans - WR
    Rd 2: Kyle Van Noy - ILB/OLB
    Rd 3c: Philip Gaines - CB
    Rd 4: Taylor Hart - DE
    Rd 5: Justin Ellis - DT
    Rd 5c:Xavier Grimble -TE

  3. #3
    Legend
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    13,336
    Quote Originally Posted by grotonsteel View Post
    Steelers should get 3rd(Wallace), 4th or 5th (K-Lew) and a 7th Rd (Mendy) pick IMO.
    What determines it? How much they sign for? Where they were drafted? The season they have with the new team, e.g. starters versus back ups, games played?
    Playing Fantasy Football does not qualify you to be the in the front office or on the coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers. They are professionals and you are not!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What determines it? How much they sign for? Where they were drafted? The season they have with the new team, e.g. starters versus back ups, games played?
    yes...


    There are several factors that go in (that are rumored to include: Number of FA's gained vs lost, Salary, perfomance, playing time).

    grotonsteel is correct, IMO. Assuming Wallace has a pro-bowl type season, expect a 3rd. I'm guessing it could possibly be a 4th, if he stinks. Lewis should be 4-5 round... We've discussed Mendy but, i wonder if say Stephens-Howling would cancel that out... likely depends on performance.
    Mock 3.0
    1. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State
    2. Jordan Matthews, WR, Vandy
    3. Ed Stinson, DE, Alabama
    4. Lache Seastrunk, RB, Baylor
    5. Zachariah Kerr, NT, Delaware
    5a. Shaquille Richardson, CB, Arizona
    6. Marcel Jensen, TE, Fresno State
    6a Greg Blair, ILB, Cincinnati
    7. Kaleb Ramsey, DE, Boston College

    2013 MNF Executive Champion!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What determines it? How much they sign for? Where they were drafted? The season they have with the new team, e.g. starters versus back ups, games played?
    The NFL uses an undisclosed formula that I believe is primarily based on salary and playing time. Released players don't count, so no comp pick for Harrison. I believe that players signed for the NFL minimum also do not count. As we found out with Faneca, no comp pick for a player over 10 years.

    I think that the Steelers are likely to get a 3rd for Wallace, 4-5 for Lewis, and a 5-7 for Mendenhall (Gay brought a 6th and his deal was not large). I am hopeful that Will Allen will cancel out the signing of Gradkowski. I believe that Mundy does not count because he signed a minimum deal.

    There was a blogger who went by AdamJT13 who predicted the picks and was usually pretty close. I can't get his site to open and he's stopped doing the predictions, but he had a good explanation.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Oviedo View Post
    What determines it? How much they sign for? Where they were drafted? The season they have with the new team, e.g. starters versus back ups, games played?
    It's pretty much all based on the salary they get as UFAs. Guys you lose - Guys you bring in before a certain point. Salary differential.

    There used to be a guy on-line who would predict them very accurately every year. I think his name was adamJY13.

    Not sure he does it anymore, but I think he talks about his process here:

    http://adamjt13.blogspot.ca/2010/03/...nfl-draft.html

  7. #7
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,371
    What if Mendy is a Pro Bowler in AZ and gets 300 carries? Could we end up with a 3 and 2 4's? 2 3's and a 4? a 3, 4, 5? wonder what the best and worst case scenario is?

  8. #8
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    What if Mendy is a Pro Bowler in AZ and gets 300 carries? Could we end up with a 3 and 2 4's? 2 3's and a 4? a 3, 4, 5? wonder what the best and worst case scenario is?
    I highly doubt any of that wishful thinking is even remotely possible. Most likely it will be a 3rd, 5th, and a 7th. Best case would be a 3rd, 4th, and 6th, but really doubt even that much. No need to get hopes up unncessarily. Comp picks aren't going to be the savior of our 2014 draft. The pick at the end of round 3 that we get for Wallace will replace the 3rd round pick we sent to Cleveland in order to take Shamarko Thomas. After that, it's likely a couple of minor day 3 selections.

  9. #9
    Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Inside Your Head
    Posts
    10,371
    Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessBurgher View Post
    I highly doubt any of that wishful thinking is even remotely possible. Most likely it will be a 3rd, 5th, and a 7th. Best case would be a 3rd, 4th, and 6th, but really doubt even that much. No need to get hopes up unncessarily. Comp picks aren't going to be the savior of our 2014 draft. The pick at the end of round 3 that we get for Wallace will replace the 3rd round pick we sent to Cleveland in order to take Shamarko Thomas. After that, it's likely a couple of minor day 3 selections.
    Just curious cause the formula is secret and I know it a combo of contract/performance. I was wondering if anyone got a high pick based on a guy having a big season even though he had a small contract?

  10. #10
    Legend RuthlessBurgher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Where the Rubber Meets the Road (in NEPA)
    Posts
    21,256
    Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Just curious cause the formula is secret and I know it a combo of contract/performance. I was wondering if anyone got a high pick based on a guy having a big season even though he had a small contract?
    Not as far as I can remember. It would appear to me that the contract signed pretty much determines at the end of which round you select. Perhaps performance comes into play in terms of a tie breaker for multiple teams receiving comp picks at the end of a round.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •