Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How the "experts" graded the Steelers Draft

Legend

User Info Menu

How the "experts" graded the Steelers Draft

In case you were curious as to what the pundits around the sports world thought about the Steelers 9 player haul:

Mel Kiper: B overall (B+ for meeting needs)
    CBS Sports: B-
    Sports Illustrated: B+
    Sporting News: A (one of only 5 teams to get an A)
    Fox Sports: B, A-, A (they had three guys grading)

While no one really knows and won't know for a while, this looks to be a solid draft.

The one thing I noticed that's all over the board was the Bell pick. I saw him listed as everything from "a plodder" (and not a good fit) to "the best big back the Steelers have had since the Bus". Really hope he turns into a pile mover and 1st down/inside the 5 machine!

Benchwarmer

User Info Menu

i loved this draft and also loved the bell pick he is a every down back catch block and run the ball

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

You could call this a boom or bust draft. If Jones & Bell turn out to be who they think they are...This draft will be A+ "Boom". If Jones isn't a perennial ProBowler by his 2nd or 3rd year and Bell isn't a feature back that turns in consecutive 1,000 yard seasons...I would give it an F "Bust". This is the draft that will end all my prejudices or soilidify them even more. As a Steeler fan, I hope I will have to reprogram my thought process from this draft forward.

Legend

User Info Menu

Bell is a more athletic version of Mendenhall. He is a better back. He is fluid, terrific vision and patience...FAR from a "plodder". He has terrific short area quickness, terrific body control, soft hands. The only thing Mendenhall had on him was straight line speed.

The Steeler nation will be very happy.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Though I know that we needed more depth at the WR and possibly could of gotten some value in the later rounds... I think our 3rd round pick could of adressed the TE position. With Heath's convalesence still an unknown it would of been nice to fill that position so that upon his return from knee surgery we could of had two dynamic TE's in the line up for BB to utilize. But overall the draft seemed very solid. Not being a Big Ten fan I have never really seen Bell in action other than highlights. I think in the Arians offense we never really optimized Mendy's pass catching prowess which at the time was what he was touted for coming out of college. I think it would a total upside if Haley can implement Bell's soft hands so we can have an every-down back with an ability to catch dumps out in the flat.

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Bell seems to be very coachable & a willing learner. If he listens to the coaches and plays to his strengths, he may be a solid back for years to come. He has the skills to be productive. If he forgets he isn't in the Big Ten and doesn't keep his shoulders square to the LOS, he could disappoint. "Be the player your are...Not the player you think you are." Mendy's underachieving was because he thought his athletic abilities could seperate him from the NFL speed instead of his RB skills. If Bell realizes that his balance, agility, vision, patience, size, & football smarts are what will make him great...He will be.

Legend

User Info Menu

Experts are crazy not to give this draft an A.

If you said you potentially got the following, could you seriously give it anything less?

1. Greg Lloyd II

2. Eddie George II

3. Mike Wallace / Manny Sanders hybrid

4. Bob Sanders II

etc.

It all comes down to how hard will these kids work. But it looks like we loaded up on key players for the future. And we got a lot more value in the rest of our picks. I really believe our 1st and 4th picks will have the impact of Harrison and Troy on this defense in time.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPY GOUK View Post
    Though I know that we needed more depth at the WR and possibly could of gotten some value in the later rounds... I think our 3rd round pick could of adressed the TE position. With Heath's convalesence still an unknown it would of been nice to fill that position so that upon his return from knee surgery we could of had two dynamic TE's in the line up for BB to utilize. But overall the draft seemed very solid. Not being a Big Ten fan I have never really seen Bell in action other than highlights. I think in the Arians offense we never really optimized Mendy's pass catching prowess which at the time was what he was touted for coming out of college. I think it would a total upside if Haley can implement Bell's soft hands so we can have an every-down back with an ability to catch dumps out in the flat.
    I agree that TE is the big hole we have coming out of this draft.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I'm guessing the Steelers will be watching the waiver wire as teams sign their draft picks.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I think the Steelers feel good enough about TE until Heath returns...