Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How the "experts" graded the Steelers Draft

Rookie

User Info Menu

This is USA Today's evaluation:

Pittsburgh Steelers:
    Round 1 OLB Jarvis Jones? Bargain, should start.
    Round 2 RB Le'Veon Bell? Bargain, should start. Punishing
    Round 4 S Shamarko Thomas? Bargain and overdue investment.
    Round 4 QB Landry Jones? Intriguing.
    The rest is gravy.
    GRADE: A-

Backup

User Info Menu

Will Johnson will be utilized a lot more in the passing game this season especially while Heath is out.

Legend

User Info Menu

Wait I thought we were the experts

Molon labe

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell

?We're not going to apologize for winning.?
    Mike Tomlin

American metal pimped by asiansteel
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you 1. Jesus Christ, 2.The American G.I., One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Legend

User Info Menu

you really need to take these "experts" opinions with a grain of salt, here's what Mel Kiper had to say about our 2008 and 2009 draft classes:

2008 Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B

Running back wasn't a need area in the first round, but when Rashard Mendenhall was still on the board at No. 23, he became a luxury pick. Mendenhall was a very good pick, so too was Limas Sweed, who fell to the 53rd overall pick.

Dennis Dixon was a one-year wonder at Oregon before he suffered a season-ending knee injury. He showed skills in 2007; still, Dixon is a good fifth-round pick as someone you can develop.

Bruce Davis fits the Steelers' scheme as an OLB (he had 24.5 sacks the past two seasons).

Tony Hills is a solid backup at OT who has the ability to push for a starting role if he can work on his aggressiveness.

Mike Humpal could be a good backup LB and help out on special teams; and safety Ryan Mundy will be a decent special teams player.

----------------

2009 Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B

First-round selection Evander Hood was a good pick because he should fit in well as a defensive tackle in the Steelers' system. I love third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace's speed.

Cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers were good selections in the fifth round.

Defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris could be a steal out of the sixth round.
    Steel Maniac's Time-Based Prediction: Lamar Jackson will be a bust and total flop in the NFL.

What Actually Happened: Lamar Jackson became the youngest two-time NFL MVP winner ever.

Gloat gloat gloat

Boom........

Hahahahahahaha

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    Bell seems to be very coachable & a willing learner. If he listens to the coaches and plays to his strengths, he may be a solid back for years to come. He has the skills to be productive. If he forgets he isn't in the Big Ten and doesn't keep his shoulders square to the LOS, he could disappoint. "Be the player your are...Not the player you think you are." Mendy's underachieving was because he thought his athletic abilities could seperate him from the NFL speed instead of his RB skills. If Bell realizes that his balance, agility, vision, patience, size, & football smarts are what will make him great...He will be.
    The tough part is there really is no good RB mentor on the roster for Bell right now. Would've been great to add Bradshaw for that role.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    Cornerback Joe Burnett and running back Frank Summers were good selections in the fifth round.
    I could have gone another couple of years before I wanted to hear the name Frank Summers, lol.

The "expert" grades are funny, they have their favorite players too just like us posters. I heard some of the analysts on "Path to the Draft" commenting on the Steelers before the draft and some of the points they were making were way off the target. Wish I could remember an example. Some of these experts just scratch the surface imo. Nothing in real depth can be determined until they see the field as we all know.
    1. C.J. Mosley LB Alabama
    2. Jordan Matthews WR Vanderbilt
    3. (comp) Philip Gaines CB Rice
    4. Arthur Lynch TE Georgia
    5. Ross Cockrell CB Duke
    5. (comp) Derrick Hopkins DT Virginia Tech
    6. Josh Mauro DE Stanford
    6. (comp) Shaquil Barrett OLB Colorado State
    7. Quincy Enunwa WR Nebraska

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

The only thing i need to know is how did they grade 08. Compare. Cry.
    LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!
    Here We Go Steelers!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JUST-PLAIN-NASTY View Post
    You could call this a boom or bust draft. If Jones & Bell turn out to be who they think they are...This draft will be A+ "Boom". If Jones isn't a perennial ProBowler by his 2nd or 3rd year and Bell isn't a feature back that turns in consecutive 1,000 yard seasons...I would give it an F "Bust". This is the draft that will end all my prejudices or soilidify them even more. As a Steeler fan, I hope I will have to reprogram my thought process from this draft forward.
    A bust if Jones isn't a pro bowler by year 2 or 3? I don't know about that. There are many other players here and Jones could be very good and still not make a Pro Bowl. Seems a little extreme.
    Even if Bill Belichick was getting an atomic wedgie, his face would look exactly the same.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteel View Post
    you really need to take these "experts" opinions with a grain of salt, here's what Mel Kiper had to say about our 2008 and 2009 draft classes:

2008 Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B

Running back wasn't a need area in the first round, but when Rashard Mendenhall was still on the board at No. 23, he became a luxury pick. Mendenhall was a very good pick, so too was Limas Sweed, who fell to the 53rd overall pick.

Dennis Dixon was a one-year wonder at Oregon before he suffered a season-ending knee injury. He showed skills in 2007; still, Dixon is a good fifth-round pick as someone you can develop.

Bruce Davis fits the Steelers' scheme as an OLB (he had 24.5 sacks the past two seasons).

Tony Hills is a solid backup at OT who has the ability to push for a starting role if he can work on his aggressiveness.

Mike Humpal could be a good backup LB and help out on special teams; and safety Ryan Mundy will be a decent special teams player.

----------------

2009 Pittsburgh Steelers: GRADE: B

First-round selection Evander Hood was a good pick because he should fit in well as a defensive tackle in the Steelers' system. I love third-round wide receiver Mike Wallace's speed.

Defensive tackle Ra'Shon Harris could be a steal out of the sixth round.

lol........and im sure there were plenty of 'fans' that said, 'kiper doesnt know anything. our draft was an A+++'

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flippy View Post
    Experts are crazy not to give this draft an A.

If you said you potentially got the following, could you seriously give it anything less?

1. Greg Lloyd II

2. Eddie George II

3. Mike Wallace / Manny Sanders hybrid

4. Bob Sanders II

etc.

It all comes down to how hard will these kids work. But it looks like we loaded up on key players for the future. And we got a lot more value in the rest of our picks. I really believe our 1st and 4th picks will have the impact of Harrison and Troy on this defense in time.

Or

1. Huey Richardson II

2. Greg Hawthorne II

3. Troy Edwards/Troy Edwards hybrid

4. The idiot safety that mouthed off to Brady before the playoff game II

Mostly joking here. I hope