Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't understand all the media (and some posters) negativity about Bell in the 2nd

Legend

User Info Menu

The negativity towards Bell is totally about the overhyped Lacey still being on the board when we took Bell.

Bell is exactly what the Steelers need.
    "My team, may they always be right, but right or wrong...MY TEAM!"

Backup

User Info Menu

OK, so I'll defend the negativity surrounding the pick... several factors.

What could that 2nd rounder have been if not Bell? At that spot, some holes could have been filled with premium players. I was pretty upset to see Arthur Brown end up a Baltimore Raven at the end of the round. When looking at value in a pick, that's a big part of it. Also, Bell replicates the running backs already on the roster in Redman and Dwyer. Jonathan Franklin was there in the 4th, Mike Gillislee in the 5th, Jawan Jamison, Kerwynn Williams in the 6th... there was plenty of talent to be had at the position, and a lot of it was still out there late. I'd rather have a dynamic linebacker, for instance, and one of those very serviceable backs mentioned, rather than a two down run stuffer in Williams and LeVeon Bell. The same could be done at other positions... for example, I could easily see Margus Hunt as Brett Keisel 2.0 given his height and athleticism. He has a much better chance of making the team better than a 7th round flier from a 1AA school.

Moreover, Bell is a Big Ten plodder... is he Ron Dayne or Eddie George? In Round 2, you'd better hope he's George. In Round 4, it's not such a big deal if he turns out to be Dayne.

Rookie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    Moreover, Bell is a Big Ten plodder... is he Ron Dayne or Eddie George? In Round 2, you'd better hope he's George. In Round 4, it's not such a big deal if he turns out to be Dayne.
    It becomes a big deal if he isn't there for you in Round 4...

Also, I recall the Steelers drafted an "SEC fast guy" last year and it didn't work out so well...

Perhaps a "Big 10 plodder" is what's needed...

Backup

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by B&GinNC View Post
    OK, so I'll defend the negativity surrounding the pick... several factors.

What could that 2nd rounder have been if not Bell? At that spot, some holes could have been filled with premium players. I was pretty upset to see Arthur Brown end up a Baltimore Raven at the end of the round. When looking at value in a pick, that's a big part of it. Also, Bell replicates the running backs already on the roster in Redman and Dwyer. Jonathan Franklin was there in the 4th, Mike Gillislee in the 5th, Jawan Jamison, Kerwynn Williams in the 6th... there was plenty of talent to be had at the position, and a lot of it was still out there late. I'd rather have a dynamic linebacker, for instance, and one of those very serviceable backs mentioned, rather than a two down run stuffer in Williams and LeVeon Bell. The same could be done at other positions... for example, I could easily see Margus Hunt as Brett Keisel 2.0 given his height and athleticism. He has a much better chance of making the team better than a 7th round flier from a 1AA school.

+1....we already have 2 big fat slow guys at RB on the roster....now we have 3....I would much rather have seen a fast back with breakaway speed added to the stable.

There was much better value for BPA at other positions...this was a reach for the Steelers.

Bell is a Steeler now and obviously I am hoping for the best.

Rookie

User Info Menu

I honestly think the Steelers should have took Montee Ball...but...im happy with the pick....leveon is a gd running back...still needs to work on running east and west just a lil more...and hopefully he gets a lil faster

Backup

User Info Menu

Only part of what I'm saying is the risk on the player... I don't see where he's that much better than the two big backs already on the roster, each of whom had a 130
    + yard game last year against a quality opponent, and that there were plenty of backs from all over that could've filled the void on the 3rd day. Rainey was a character risk from the word go, which is why he's no longer on the team. He was replaced by LaRod Stephens Howling.

I had ZERO interest in Lacey, and would've been even more upset if they'd taken him. His success was, in my opinion, entirely the result of running behind an offensive line that was head and shoulders above any defensive line it faced talent wise. Barrett Jones, Chance Warmack, DJ Fluker, et al didn't run the ball, but they sure helped Lacey make it look easy. FWIW, I think Lacey will be Spinderella 2.0 in the NFL... just like Mendy, a big back who runs small and thinks he can juke and move to get loose when he simply can't. It's OK when Barry Sanders does it because 2,1, -1 is balanced by 80. When it's 2, 1, -1, and the big break gets run down from behind at 10, the average sucks... and drives bog down unless you've got the greatest 3rd and long QB in NFL history.

Pro Bowler

User Info Menu

What I see in Bell is a back you can rely on to move the chains in order to keep drives alive, but also a back that gives the QB another option with his pass catching ability. I don't care how he runs, his height or any of that stuff, when we're in the red zone and he scores thats what I care about.
    The bottom line is TD's, thats what Bell will bring to this offense!

Hall of Famer

User Info Menu

I am not sure how good or bad the Michigan St. line was ... but if you look at his stats he did great against weak teams and he didn't do so great against top teams. BUT the dude is a workhorse. Go look at his total carries in some of these games.... He's a Haley guy probably due to the fact that he's a good pass catcher out of the backfield.
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...
    Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go...!!!

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by steelman7 View Post
    I honestly think the Steelers should have took Montee Ball...but...im happy with the pick....leveon is a gd running back...still needs to work on running east and west just a lil more...and hopefully he gets a lil faster
    ...or the RB from Stanford.

Now that Bell is a Steeler I'm on board but I have a few concerns with his running style.

Pros:
    1) he has good hands
    2) he was pretty physical the few times I watched him
    3) he has decent speed for a guy his size
    4) ball security.. he keeps it high and tight

Cons:
    1) jumping over defenders.. it looks cool, but it gets old quick and can lead ti injury
    2) he runs high... he will get crushed if he doesn't
    3) Big10 back...it's been a long time since a RB in the Big10 did anything impressive.
    4) Big10 back... It's been a LONG time since...

I know Ball is also a Big10 back but if I had to choose between the 2 I think Ball has a better size to avoid big hits and get to the second level.

I hope Bell proves me wrong. I understand why we "reached" for him in the second... that was our guy and he wouldn't have been there in the 3rd IMO.

Legend

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SidSmythe View Post
    I am not sure how good or bad the Michigan St. line was ... but if you look at his stats he did great against weak teams and he didn't do so great against top teams. BUT the dude is a workhorse. Go look at his total carries in some of these games.... He's a Haley guy probably due to the fact that he's a good pass catcher out of the backfield.
    He was a stud and I don't think MSU had much else going for them on offense.. that being said. He didn't do much vs good competition. I think those games are the ones where you look at his 3 and 4 yard carries to see if he made something out of nothing or broke a few tackles to get positive yards.